In a Pickle (to sell or not)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
When I moved to Hungary, V-Max stayed in the U.S. with a good friend to crank up and ride every once in a while. I maintained current insurance and registration for the last couple years. Unfortunately, I just found out that my friend moved to Illinois. Now my bike is just sitting in a garage rotting. I get to see it once a year and ride it for a week, then return here to Hungary.

I would love to ship it here, but the hassle just isn't worth it - about $4,000 for Hungarian registration, plus changing everything that has a DOT stamp on it into an EU marking. This includes the headlight and all lens covers. What a PAIN.

I do have another "woman" in my life, though... a 1200 of a different flavor. Meet the FJ and it's performance.

Anyway, I'll be reunited with my V-Max this summer, and I'll be tearin' up some asphalt for a week. After that, I will need to drop the insurance and let the registration lapse. As much as I love this bike, it's probably not worth keeping in my situation. The sad part is that this is my dream bike and I might hate myself after I sold it. I've got to make a decision - It's like a black cloud over me.

Sell it and buy another one in Hungary... If you are planning in staying in Hungary for a while that might be an option...

Just letting it sit there is not going to do you, or the bike, any good. I would probably sell it now and bank the money. When I got back I would take that money out of the bank and buy another.

I hate to say that but it seems to be the most logical decision.

Sell it and buy another one in Hungary... If you are planning in staying in Hungary for a while that might be an option...

Yeah, I thought of that, but big bikes (especially cruisers) are a lot more expensive here. Plus mine is an '85 with Cobra exhaust. Everything I've ever wanted.

My_VMAX_new.jpg

Here's a video:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Lotsokids/V-Max/?action=view&current=MVI_7918.mp4

i'd sell it too. ask whoever buys it if you can make him an offer when you get back or at least get a call when he's ready to sell.

I guess Im the only one that says KEEP IT. if you dont need the $$ keep the bike. I now have a gen I in the corner because I know I cant get what I have into it, not to mention the sentimental value. think about what the bike is worth vs what the bike is worth to YOU!

I would say Keep it as well. Bikes are a dime a dozen in the grand scheme of things but if this is the bike you always dreamed of and have done everything to your desires and do not need the cash I would simply "pickle" it and drop it in to a storage or family members place til you get back or come visit. Owning a bike over there is easy enough they can be found or gotten for a reasonable price. Keep in mind that this advice is coming from a guy that has owned over 200 bikes this last year alone and has no affiliation to any one bike. My advice is honest. I would do this if it were mine. I just havent found that one bike that Im willing to go to those lengths for...but my 95 is really becoming the one(at least for now)

IMHO

If you can store it some where for free, I would keep it.

If you can store it some where for free, I would keep it.

Yes, I still own a house in the U.S. with very good friends as renters. They are O.K. with me storing it there. I thought of "pickling" the engine and draining the carbs when I go back home this summer.

It will be a sad final ride! :frown:

I might have to come up with a "rent a vmax" program for you overseas guys that like to come visit the U.S.!!

Sean

Ok Ill be the first to say you can keep it at my house and ill even ride it for you, for a fee of course,LOL Keep it Sell it what ever in the end the choice is yours and you have to live with your decision not us . Also if you sell it then we know you were not infected with the MOD monkey virus.

Latest posts

Back