Innovate sniffer for carb tuning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna buy a sniffer to tune, really tired of guesswork besides I'm on top of picking up a Venture which will no doubt need a good optimizing. I called Innovate sales dept to ask a few questions and got some interesting information. Luckily I got a cool sales rep that gave me some straight answers.

SD card to record. An SD card would work if under 2gig and would need to be formatted for FAT16 (and maybe FAT to but I cant recall that part).

I asked about any performance differences between permanent mount AF or the handheld and he said performance was the same but the handled has the ability to read RPM and record it alongside AF ratio with harness # 3811

He said that to get a proper reading the sensor would need to be installed in an actual 02 sensor bung and not simply slid into the can. Damn if I could find a bung anywhere on this Kerker 4-2-1 system. I would love to see a pic of a sensor installed into the Kerker setup (Eric...) :ummm:

I figure if I have to install a bung I might as well mount a gauge to considering the 12,000' or so window of touring elevation I'm likely to see, so I would have both. But the main crux of the issue is that it seems I'm not going to get away without installing a bung unless you gents know something I dont.

Thanks for input, as always! :worthy:

Yes, you need to install a bung.
You can do it a few different ways

At the minimum, you need 1 bung in the collector to read the average of all 4 cylinders.

At the other end of the spectrum you could install 1 bung in each pipe and take reading of all 4 and compare.

Either way, you will be pulling exhaust and getting a bung (or more) welded in.

Do a good search "weld 02 bung" plenty of options out there.

Ok, I'm gonna buy a sniffer to tune, really tired of guesswork besides I'm on top of picking up a Venture which will no doubt need a good optimizing. I called Innovate sales dept to ask a few questions and got some interesting information. Luckily I got a cool sales rep that gave me some straight answers.

SD card to record. An SD card would work if under 2gig and would need to be formatted for FAT16 (and maybe FAT to but I cant recall that part).

I asked about any performance differences between permanent mount AF or the handheld and he said performance was the same but the handled has the ability to read RPM and record it alongside AF ratio with harness # 3811

He said that to get a proper reading the sensor would need to be installed in an actual 02 sensor bung and not simply slid into the can. Damn if I could find a bung anywhere on this Kerker 4-2-1 system. I would love to see a pic of a sensor installed into the Kerker setup (Eric...) :ummm:

I figure if I have to install a bung I might as well mount a gauge to considering the 12,000' or so window of touring elevation I'm likely to see, so I would have both. But the main crux of the issue is that it seems I'm not going to get away without installing a bung unless you gents know something I dont.

Thanks for input, as always! :worthy:

Yep, you have to add the bung. Here is a pic of mine. You will have to blow up the pic, but you can see it just directly down from the passenger peg. In the directions it will tell you that when it is welded on, you have to orient the bung to the 3:00 position or greater because you dont want condensation to get trapped there, and its not good for the O2 sensor. As with most of my stuff, I wanted it out of the way so you have to look for it to see if its there.

EDIT*** Innovate naturally has plenty of bungs that you can order from then, no matter where you want to put them.

Attachments

• 20151010_172834[1].jpg
    20151010_172834[1].jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 42
I'm unable to blow it up enough to see the placement but you placed it after the collector? On mine it looks like I can slip that intermediate pipe off that runs between the collector and the can but I have yet to ever disassemble that.

I'm pretty good with a wire feed but it's thin enough that I'll probably take it in and have someone better than myself weld the bung in, which is included with the LM-2. I figure one sensor anywhere at or after the collector should get me close.

Not 100%, but I think the bung height might matter depending on the exhaust pipe diameter to get the sensor in the right position within the pipe.

Should always be placed between 10 and 2 o'clock on the pipe

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tried the sniffer plug at the end of the muffler => false lean readings except at wot..
You cannot really tune the carb.
Welding a bung is mandatory.

I'm unable to blow it up enough to see the placement but you placed it after the collector? On mine it looks like I can slip that intermediate pipe off that runs between the collector and the can but I have yet to ever disassemble that.

I'm pretty good with a wire feed but it's thin enough that I'll probably take it in and have someone better than myself weld the bung in, which is included with the LM-2. I figure one sensor anywhere at or after the collector should get me close.

You can do a save as.....and then blow it up as much as you need.

This is the setup I used for the dyno. The innovate unit with superflow probe. Not practical to use on the street of course but lets the unit be flexible for the various motorcycles that may have come by.

Attachments

• IMG_20150817_150450104.jpg
    IMG_20150817_150450104.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20150817_150248371_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150817_150248371_HDR.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 29
This superflow probe might allow tuning without welding a bung into the exh? That would be a huge plus. One of the reasons that I would buy one is to use it on other carb equipped vehicles but it stops making a lot of sense if I have to weld a bung into each vehicle I wish to tune. In the case of Maxine I'll do it though if theres no other way.

You can do a save as.....and then blow it up as much as you need.

I saved it and it gets grainy if I blow it up but your description of where it is helps.

This superflow probe might allow tuning without welding a bung into the exh? That would be a huge plus. One of the reasons that I would buy one is to use it on other carb equipped vehicles but it stops making a lot of sense if I have to weld a bung into each vehicle I wish to tune. In the case of Maxine I'll do it though if theres no other way.

I saved it and it gets grainy if I blow it up but your description of where it is helps.

Sent a PM

Cool, thank you suh!

This is what I was thinking about and I believe it works the same way as what Sean was kind enough to post.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-Ex...ash=item4622682bf1:g:3FgAAOSwsN9XBnWL&vxp=mtr

I'm willing to weld a bung in the bike but if I go with a handheld it would be great to be able to use it on other vehicles without the above mentioned false lean readings.

And other bikes. I have the "window attachment" and so I turn it upside down, and suction cup the innovate to the tank, and ride around so I can see, and record the numbers. The handheld innovate is the same one that Sean is using.

The superflow probe requires a shop air to pull the exhaust past the sensor. Thats whey I said it's not really too practical for a bike or can unless you have a roller setup. I suppose a guy could use an air tank to try and use that for your airflow but it would limit the amount of time you could use it.

Latest posts

Back