Installation issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katusoittaja

Reaction score
Any advices how get U joint and driveshaft lined together?
I mean, should I put swingarm on and then the whole final drive assembly and line it , or should I keep swingers and final drive together and line it ?
It seems really difficult getting em together.

Swingarm on.
Shocks off.
Final Drive off.
Let the swingarm hang down a bit.
Put the drive shaft it. Once you feel it hit the u-joint I push, turn, and pick up and the same time. Takes a little practice but doable.

I don't install the final drive till the driveshaft is installed.

I keep the final drive unit/ driveshaft together and make sure the u-joint is pointing down then push/ lift and twist a little. Trial and error will get the method that works for you best.

Swingarm on.
Shocks off.
Final Drive off.
Put the drive shaft it. Once you feel it hit the u-joint I push, turn, and pick up and the same time. Takes a little practice but doable.

Yes. This method works well.
Do not forget to grease the driveshaft splines before inserting into the U-joint. They are often found to be dry, when the assembly is taken apart.
Cheers!

+1 for the above method, the only thing I do in addition is to have the transmission in gear this seems to help.

Swingarm on.
Shocks off.
Final Drive off.

In addition if you sit on the ground behind the swinging arm and start with the final drive on you lap the assembly is easier to manage.

Do not put your finger into the u joint to lift it, if the pumpkin and shaft are together. I understand its quite painful. Of course I understand, DOH
You'll figure out you need to lift that pumpkin real quick..

The 1st time I did that reassembly, I just couldn't get them aligned. I kept the 'punkin' & driveshaft together for my attempt. I fussed w/it for over an hour. I got really frustrated, and set everything down, and took a break.

When I came back, it went together in about a minute.

Miles' tip about making sure the splines are greased is one to follow. So is Redbone's about twisting L-R the 'punkin' a bit w/its driveshaft to give the splines a chance to align.

Back