installing brake pads/pad squealing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX NV

Reaction score
I know there was just a thread on this, but I can't find it for the world.

There was a discussion about what to do to prevent/stop disc pad squealing.
Someone said they use generic stick-on shims and included a link, some said copper grease where the piston contacts the pad.

Can someone point me to this thread?

Also could you put on the shims AND the grease or is that overkill?

Thanks

i found the best thing for squeal was the stuff sean gave me. stop-squeal or something it goes on the braking surface of the pad itself. i'm sure he still has some!

I ALWAYS apply a thin layer of silicone to the backs of the pads where the pistons contact them before installing. I've never had a squeeky pad after doing this - and that includes my 4 wheeled vehicles as well. The stuff that comes with some vehicle pads is OK too, and I believe it doesn't harden in place like the cheap, readily available silicone I use. But hardened silicone comes off later if you need it too easily enough.

Did you bed them in right?

I like to use the manufacturers recommendations, but 6-10 30mph stops with moderate pressure on the lever and pedal, and then 3-4 45mph hard stops should bed them in well. What ever you do, so NOT drag the brakes before the bedding process. I just hit a rural road to do them.

Be careful though...

I have no special fixes on my pads. Just EBC HH pads installed.

Chris

Did you bed them in right?

I like to use the manufacturers recommendations, but 6-10 30mph stops with moderate pressure on the lever and pedal, and then 3-4 45mph hard stops should bed them in well. What ever you do, so NOT drag the brakes before the bedding process. I just hit a rural road to do them.

Be careful though...

I have no special fixes on my pads. Just EBC HH pads installed.

Chris
I do the same process but maybe not as many slower stops but at least as many of the faster stops. I let the brakes cool a before I hit them again, I have a lot of rural roads to break the brakes in on. :clapping:

What is THE proper way to break in a new set of EBC HH pads? I hear all kinds of talk about bedding in new pads but never saw what the manufacturer recommends.

From back of package:
Break In/Bed In Times
Pads need up to 250 miles regular urban use where brakes are used frequently (not highway cruising) to allow pads to mate with worn (or new) rotors. During this time brake performance WILL BE LESS EFFECTIVE especially if rotors are scored or distorted. Ride motorcycles carefully in low traffic areas at lower speeds during bed in period until 90% contact area achieved between pads and rotors. If you are replacing pads for another person be sure to warn the rider of this potential hazard.

From back of package:
Break In/Bed In Times
Pads need up to 250 miles regular urban use where brakes are used frequently (not highway cruising) to allow pads to mate with worn (or new) rotors. During this time brake performance WILL BE LESS EFFECTIVE especially if rotors are scored or distorted. Ride motorcycles carefully in low traffic areas at lower speeds during bed in period until 90% contact area achieved between pads and rotors. If you are replacing pads for another person be sure to warn the rider of this potential hazard.
Wow, 250 miles! I don't think I could find 250 miles of urban riding area around here, unless I rode on every street in Sault Ste Marie, but I probably would have to cover a few of the main streets multiple times!:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Hmm, my pads front and rear look like they have a LOT of material like close to new, however, my rear is squealing a bit. I think I remember the PO's father-in-law ( who I did most of the dealing with, the PO lost a battle with cancer) saying he had installed new brakes last year before he put it up for the winter. Perhaps I should just give them a few more hundred miles before I go buy new pads which will end up squeaking just as much :)

Latest posts

Back