Installing grips

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selva

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm trying to install Kuryakyn iso-grips. I visited my local Yamaha dealer and they said that I can't install these grips on the vmax because the vmax uses a built in throttle cable grip. Any suggestions.

I currently have a 2010 Vmax with Rizoma drag bar and rizoma grips. I'm trying to find grips that would look good but also reduce vibration. After 20 min of riding my hands go numb. The rizoma grips I have currently have almost no padding.

Thank you,

I don't know the configuration of the Gen II grips, you might try a Bar-Snake inside the tubing, they're supposed to change the frequency of the vibration to make it less-annoying. A 'do-it-yourself' way would be to use small lead shot inside before installing the grips.

Looking at a fiche of the throttle/accelerator grip, I don't see anything unusual about it. The right grip is always a bit larger in-diameter than the left grip because of the rotating cylinder for the throttle. I've used gel grips on a mountain bike before for an additional cushion, and liked them.

I suppose that the dealership should know what-works, and what-doesn't, but it seems to me that grips are one of those things like tires, they're pretty-much universal-sized, if it fits the rim properly (tire) or it's a 7/8" handlebar, the standard motorcycle grip pair, with the throttle side being a bit-bigger in-diameter because of the throttle tube, should fit. I use an air hose under the end of the grip to release the grip from the handlebar, sometimes a short-shot of WD-40 helps it to slide-off, it it's reluctant to come-off. Be sure to use a good solvent to remove all traces of the WD-40 before you install your new grips. An old dirtbike tip was to use hairspray to act as a lubricant to get the grips on, and then you have to let it dry, which acts as a mucilage to hold it stationary on the handlebar or the throttle grip.

We've sold Kury's to other customers? They are just tight and tough to install when dry for sure.

Attachments

• Kuryakyn Kinetic Grips Closeup.jpg
    Kuryakyn Kinetic Grips Closeup.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 72
Another vote for Grip Puppies. In my case I used a product called Grab On Grips. Basically the Grip Puppies & Grab On Grips are the same product. On another bike I tried the Kuryakyn iso-grips and I found that they did not really reduce enough vibration. Don't get me wrong because I use allot of Kuryakyn products & I find Kuryakyn product to be great. I also think the Kuryakyn iso-grips look better. But I just found the Grab On Grips better in in reducing vibration, are more comfortable, & look pretty good. Years ago I tried a gel grip I purchased from a local bike shop. Can't remember the name but found them also too hard. The one plus I really like about the Grab On Grips is that they slip over your existing grips and add about an 1/8". I find the stock grips for the 7/8" handle bars on our Vmax a little bit too small for my hands. If you have small hand this may be something you would not like. I have them on for about 1 1/2 years now & they look like the day I put them on. That said I have been lucky that I have not been caught in the rain since I installed them. I am sure they will not last like other grips but for under $20.00 & the ease of installation it's worth a try.

Here is a link to the ones I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/Grab-Grips-G...Grip+Cover&qid=1599532427&s=automotive&sr=1-2

just put fresh grip puppies on mine. i cant even ride a bike more than 10 miles without them anymore

I have had similar issues. On my 2014, I installed dual density rubber grips and then put grip puppies over those. That combination almost completely stopped my hand from going numb. My right hand still goes numb but takes a lot longer now. All i have to do is lock the throttle, flex my hand for a few seconds, and I'm good to go.

You would install these just like any other grip? You reuse the throttle sleeve on the RH side and just directly to the bar on the left. New Kury grips come with glue to help keep the rubber liners in place.

When I had my ISO grips, I barber poled electrical tape around both ends for a tighter fit...even with the grip glue.

You would install these just like any other grip? You reuse the throttle sleeve on the RH side and just directly to the bar on the left. New Kury grips come with glue to help keep the rubber liners in place.

Gotcha. Most of the advertised pics show the grips with the throttle sleeve & on other bikes the Kury grips came that way. Iso grips look too cruiser-ish to me but those Kinetics don't look half bad. I need to do something to cut the vibes on the throttle side. First two fingers go completely numb after about 30 minutes.

First two fingers go completely numb after about 30 minutes.
What is causing that?
Engine vibrations? Are solid mounts fitted?

Road vibrations? Head bearings wear, forks wear, damper not working, insufficient fork oil? Would changing foil oil weight help?

Physical injury? Padded gloves or brace? See a quack.

Other?

What is causing that?
Engine vibrations? Are solid mounts fitted?

Road vibrations? Head bearings wear, forks wear, damper not working, insufficient fork oil? Would changing foil oil weight help?

Physical injury? Padded gloves or brace? See a quack.

Other?

Well the bike only has about 1800 miles so I doubt it's anything worn. I'm 51 so there's that :rolleyes: I don't wear gloves until the weather turns cold. I could probably eliminate this issue wearing gloves though...don't have numb finger issues in winter.

Ah, 1800, must be a Gen 2.

I always wear gloves, albeit thin leather ones with studded palms for summer use.

When your ass hits the tarmac, you will naturally stick your hands out and it is the palms that take the brunt.

In the game of tarmac vs skin, inevitably tarmac wins, usually by a significant margin.

People say that the chances of coming off are so low that I ain't needing protection but they don't factor the consequences or damage due to such an unlikely event.

It's like walking on a 6 in wide board 3ft of the ground or on a 3ft wide board but 60ft off the ground.

On theory you are much less likely to fall off the 3ft board than the 6in, but the outcome if you do, is much different.

How about a pair of decent fingerless mitts with gel pads? Could be a cheap solution for $10-20*. Don't worry if people stop, point and laugh as surely being pain free is more important.

*avoid cheap Chinese mitts claiming to be gel when they are not.

Ah, 1800, must be a Gen 2.

I always wear gloves, albeit thin leather ones with studded palms for summer use.

When your ass hits the tarmac, you will naturally stick your hands out and it is the palms that take the brunt.

In the game of tarmac vs skin, inevitably tarmac wins, usually by a significant margin.

People say that the chances of coming off are so low that I ain't needing protection but they don't factor the consequences or damage due to such an unlikely event.

It's like walking on a 6 in wide board 3ft of the ground or on a 3ft wide board but 60ft off the ground.

On theory you are much less likely to fall off the 3ft board than the 6in, but the outcome if you do, is much different.

How about a pair of decent fingerless mitts with gel pads? Could be a cheap solution for $10-20*. Don't worry if people stop, point and laugh as surely being pain free is more important.

*avoid cheap Chinese mitts claiming to be gel when they are not.

Well I can't argue with you...I know one day it'll likely bite me in the ass. Or, the hands, like you said :D But I'd sooner park the bike for the summer than be miserable leathered up. I'm old enough to know better but still young enough to not care.

I'm only suggesting padded gloves, and I'm sure fingerless variants exist.

Yep, getting hot is a bother but only when not moving. A long time ago someone told me never to buy one piece leathers as you cannot take off the jacket when it get hot.

Latest posts

Back