Installing progressive springs in 1989 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffwat

Reaction score
1989 Vmax has stock front springs, and forks were rebuilt a couple thousand miles ago, fine.

I weigh 240 lbs. while bike rides pretty good, I’d like to consider installing progressive springs, don’t know whose to buy. More important, forks are fresh, so I was hoping to replace springs without having to remove forks. Most places say take forks off, rebuild, but my forks are fresh. I don’t see a need to lower bike any. It seems I could do this without removing forks, but can’t find any directions.

I’ve seen Sean Morley’s fork rebuild video, but no video/written directions about replacement without removing forks.

Anyone know of a video for me, recommended forks, or written directions? Thanks

Jeff

Don't think you need a video.
  • Lift front of bike so the wheel is off the ground.
  • Undo the fork cap(s).
  • Take out the spacer.
  • Get a length of (say) welding rod , make a hook and fish out the spring.
  • Re-assembly is the reverse of the above,
But...
Not sure what you mean by 'fresh'.
Does this infer that you have checked the bushing and that the oil has been replaced recently and with the weight and volume that would be required for your chosen spring?
Also if you do not set the static sag then you are only doing half the job and won't be getting the maximum benefit from the springs.

Steve L,

Thanks for prompt response. I appreciate. Fresh means forks rebuilt and checked about 2k ago, and on stand, front wheel hanging, I feel no movement. I’d hate to think fork bushings deteriorated after only 2k. I’d taken forks in, picked up, reinstalled myself, added oil per manual. If oil looks dark, I’ll replace, may anyhow. Progressive says to use stock volume. I have the full manual, no problem.

As you delineated, Progressive Spring said to install as you mentioned. Since I’m not lowering, they said to use stock 5-1/4” spacer. I’ll check static sag before and after, and deal with if there’s an issue.

By the way, reason I did rebuild is driving by/over asphalt road work, didn’t see asphalt got onto tubes, ruined seals. I’m now religious about checking tubes now.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back