Installing Raptor Shift Light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijacker

Reaction score
Step by Step instructions to install a Raptor Shift Light on a 1st Gen.
It's much easier than I anticipated...

IMG_20130126_154729.jpg

1. Remove seat, faux tank cover and disconnect negative battery cable.

IMG_20130126_155117.jpg

2. Remove the air filter cover and air filter. You may want to stuff some towels into the carb intakes just in case you drop a nut or washer.

IMG_20130126_161146.jpg

3. Remove the two nuts that mount the instrument panel.

IMG_20130126_161220.jpg

4. Remove the instrument panel mounting bracket from the bottom of the instrument panel, it will be in your way for the next steps.

IMG_20130126_161440.jpg

5. Wired into the back of the tach are three wires: Gray, Black & Brown.

IMG_20130126_161952.jpg

6. Take a break and enjoy a tasty snack and refreshing beverage of your choice.

IMG_20130126_161647.jpg

7. Feed the wire from the shift light behind the speedo and behind the left side neck cover then up into the space under instrument panel. The shift light comes with about 8 feet of wire, you'll remove most of it but remember to leave enough slack to allow the handlebars to turn without pulling the wires too tight.

IMG_20130126_162555.jpg

8. One at a time, remove the screw securing the wires to the back of the tach, cut the wires, twist them together with the appropriate shift light wire, crimp them into a new connector and secure it back onto the back of the tach with the original screw.

IMG_20130126_172626.jpg

The wiring combination is: Gray to Green; Black to Black; Brown to Red.

IMG_20130126_172926.jpg

9. Program the shift light for 2 cylinder mode and desired RPM. In the picture below I have it set for 2 cylinder mode and to light at 9000 rpm.

IMG_20130126_173243.jpg

The first time you turn on the ignition the shift light will flash once for each 1000 rpms, pause then once for each 100 rpms, pause then flash twice for 2 cylinder mode.

In my case, set at 9000 rpms it flashed 9 times, paused, no flashes for the x100 rpms stage, pause and flash 2 times for 2 cylinder mode.

shiftlight-1.jpg

From that point forward each time you turn on the ignition the led's will cycle in a circle. If you reprogram the shift light it will run the test pattern again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI-e07KQ1do&feature=youtu.be

Button everything back up and you are done! :punk:

How does the shift light mount to the speedo.:ummm: Exellent write up by the way. I love the detail.

How does the shift light mount to the speedo.:ummm: Exellent write up by the way. I love the detail.

The light comes with 2 mounts that it can clip into and can be attached with a bolt, screw or double sided tape. I attached it to the speedo housing with some 3M automotive double sided trim tape. I didn't show pictures of that since that can be unique to every installation and left up to the individual.

Hey, be sure and tape up the opening and keep the cover over the LEDs. I've killed two of those lights with water. One completely and the second just wounded some the of LED's

I used the same 3M tape, this will be the second year of use and I can not move the shift light, it's "SOLID"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

chad is yours a duel stage. also if you call cyle one off he has a great speedo shift light mount.

The duel stage is kinda cool because you can wire it to the speedo sensor. So when you launch you can rev the engine to what rpm you want to pull your holeshot and when you take off the light switchs to shift mod because of a wheel sensor. So you can launch at a picked rpm and you can shift at a different rpm.

awesome write up.

i will make a suggestion though. For mine i soldered wires to a 3.5mm headphone female jack and then soldered the wires off of the shift light to a 3.5mm male headphone jack (both at radioshack). that way its easily removable if need be and pretty water tight, just some electrical tape makes it fully water tight.

As always great pic's Chad. Picture's are always a great thing when doing a install.

look's great. I will buy one of these shift light for my vmax! How much for the shift light and where you ordered it ?

look's great. I will buy one of these shift light for my vmax! How much for the shift light and where you ordered it ?

Ordered from Cycle One Off. http://www.cycleoneoff.com/CBR.html
Prices vary depending on which light you get, the chrome light is a little more and the blue led light is a little more than the red or yellow led's. I got the red led with black body, it was $120.

Shipping was a little slow in my opinion, but I've since learned that he is a one-man show, so considering what he does for the VMax community and the high quality parts he sells I'll forgive slow shipping. I can be patient to support a small business owner.

also can get it from raptor just call them owner is a great guy. he will help you on install if you need him just call. hell i couldent get my daul shift light to go to launch mode and i called him from the dragstrip and he walked me through how to re-program it. (my falt not the light falt). I have the cycle one off mount that mounts next to the speedo and i like it. I think the daul mode shift light cost about $150 but you have a shift mode and a launch mode and a output wire for a air shifter to shift at what ever rpm you want. the daul mode works off your speedo sensor and is easy install. i think the shift light mount was $75. you will need to slightly bend the shift light mount to your liking and todd from cycle one off can help you with that. http://www.raptorperformance.com/

Thanks for the info. And just another question : there is a cover on the adjustement switch and on the LED ?? .... And if not, it's not very good on the rain ?

I dont know of any water proof shift lights. Thats why i mounted my light next to the speedo and behind the wind screen. I did get cought in heavy rain and no trouble with the light at all.

I also clocked the buttons facing a little down but can still get to them.

Latest posts

Back