Instrument cluster changes in Gen1 ???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
Howdy...
I own a 2001 Gen1, but am looking to buy replacement parts off an instrument cluster from a 90's model. It looks the same from the pictures, just curious if you guys know whether all the holes line up, etc.

I'm planning to salvage the METALIZED facia cover, and maybe even some of the colored plastic indicatior bulb lenses, and affix them to my current instrument cluster.

Longer story, but I'll post my mod later.

Thanks.

i'm 98.9% sure that the instrument cluster and its sub-components are interchangeable between all Gen1 years. nothing much along these lines changed over the years. there is that '93 boundary in which the mother maker changed out forks and rotors. have a look at this: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/vmaxhistory.htm

Damn..I'm supposed to be skiing in Portland (Mt hood) right now but was/am too busy at work so I cancelled my vaca..wife and kid are there though.:bang head:

All instrument clusters will physically interchage.

You might want to do a little more research though. My memory isn't all that great but, I think I remember reading that there is a wiring difference between the old ones and new ones. Something about a wire was added to the newer versions/there is a pin added in one of the connectors.

There are two plugs on the wiring harness of the clusters. The old version has a white plug and a black plug. The new version have a white plug and a red plug. (I have a '85 and '06 clusters so this is not memory :biglaugh:) I believe the change was in '90, or '92. Supposedly, some functionality will be lost if you swap versions.

Check out the thread about differences in the years. There might be some info in there.

85-89 are directly interchangable. 90-07 direct swap. Either sets of years can swap with either sets of years for teh main housing and instruments but you have to swap the wiring. Using the wrong years harness will deactivate the fuel reserve functionality.

We can make a billet insert that you can drill to your own specification.

Sean

Damn..I'm supposed to be skiing in Portland (Mt hood) right now but was/am too busy at work so I cancelled my vaca..wife and kid are there though.:bang head:

Small world.... I am staying in government camp skiing this weekend.

Wild

All instrument clusters will physically interchage.

You might want to do a little more research though. My memory isn't all that great but, I think I remember reading that there is a wiring difference between the old ones and new ones. Something about a wire was added to the newer versions/there is a pin added in one of the connectors.

There are two plugs on the wiring harness of the clusters. The old version has a white plug and a black plug. The new version have a white plug and a red plug. (I have a '85 and '06 clusters so this is not memory :biglaugh:) I believe the change was in '90, or '92. Supposedly, some functionality will be lost if you swap versions.

Check out the thread about differences in the years. There might be some info in there.

Thx for the heads up !!!

redline: 8500 for restricted models
9500 for full power up to but not including 2003
9000 for full power 2003 and above (speedo and gauge cluster with different lettering)

i'm 98.9% sure that the instrument cluster and its sub-components are interchangeable between all Gen1 years. nothing much along these lines changed over the years. there is that '93 boundary in which the mother maker changed out forks and rotors. have a look at this: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/vmaxhistory.htm

I'd bet on those 1.1% that you are wrong. wiring is different for restricted models. Japanese versions have differences as well.

redline: 8500 for restricted models
9500 for full power up to but not including 2003
9000 for full power 2003 and above (speedo and gauge cluster with different lettering)
i have seen one with differend letters always had the :ummm: from which year it comes from, never noticed the red line on this cause i was pissed off that mine didn't have those cool numbers on it :bang head:

Back