Instrument Cluster Locking Storage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dij0674

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've purchased and installed an all in one speedo unit. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the instrument cluster where the original tach is. I'd like to make it into a locking storage area, like a glove box, keeping the original outer housing, any thoughts on this, how to do it, or anyone done this before?

Damien

Hey All,

"I've purchased and installed an all in one speedo unit. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the instrument cluster where the original tach is. I'd like to make it into a locking storage area, like a glove box, keeping the original outer housing, any thoughts on this, how to do it, or anyone done this before?"

Damien

I moved the instruments and indicator lights upwards, around the speedo, as well as the ignition switch and a pull cable for the choke, forming an automotive style dash.
I re-shaped the airbox cover,(higher, wider) to give it more of a "real" gas tank size and shape ( the smallish "gas tank" and tiny, punched-in headlight were the two items I didn't like about the stock bike. I thought they were disproportionate to the rest of the machine) In place of the instrument cluster, I formed a compartment for a CD player/stereo. I did have a lock on the flip-up cover, but I've replaced that with a knob that turns to open it.
Although I have never used it as such, the stereo could easily be removed , to convert the compartment to a glove storage box.
As you can guess, these mods took up a great deal of time. Re-shaping the faux tank is not a big deal, if youv'e done bodywork, but I'd suggest that you pick up an old tank and do it over, to avoid laying up your bike. Check out my album for photos.
Cheers, Miles

Hey Miles,

Thanks for the info and the trip pics look great (I need to go west). Can you post a close up of your mod maybe a top, side, and under shot?

Damien

Miles,
Dude your fab sounds suhweet, post some pix plz
please-1.gif

Hey All,

I've purchased and installed an all in one speedo unit. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the instrument cluster where the original tach is. I'd like to make it into a locking storage area, like a glove box, keeping the original outer housing, any thoughts on this, how to do it, or anyone done this before?

Damien

What kind of speedo did you buy?

Re: Instrument Cluster Locking Storage- Pics

Hey Miles,

Thanks for the info and the trip pics look great (I need to go west). Can you post a close up of your mod maybe a top, side, and under shot?

Damien

Damien(and Dave & Ninjaneer)

Haven't got a handle on this "Thumbnails" thing just yet, so I just created a new album ("Modifications") in my profile. Some pics of the butchered faux tank included.
Don't be alarmed by all the dirt, sawdust, and fingerprints on the bike :confused2:- I DO clean it on a very regular schedule!
It's just that the 3-year cleaning cycle does not come up again till next spring.:clapping:
Cheers, Miles

Nice work Miles, that's awesome. Gives me some ideas on how to hook up the storage and a second tank. did you convert your faux tank to a real tank?

Dang Miles, were you a pilot in a former life? That instrument panel is well thought out, functional and good looking too! :thumbs up:
The fuel tank looks handy too, how much does it hold?
Don't worry about the cleanliness, your bike has a look of intended purposefulness! (Yeah, I looked it up, it is a word and it means useful but in a much cooler way!)

Nice work Miles, that's awesome. Gives me some ideas on how to hook up the storage and a second tank. did you convert your faux tank to a real tank?[/QUOTE
Dang Miles, were you a pilot in a former life? That instrument panel is well thought out, functional and good looking too!
thumbup1.gif

The fuel tank looks handy too, how much does it hold?
Don't worry about the cleanliness, your bike has a look of intended purposefulness! (Yeah, I looked it up, it is a word and it means useful but in a much cooler way!)

Brian
VMOA #4942

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Sometimes, just for kicks, and when the bike is REALLY dirty, I'll pull into the local Tim Hortons and park among the shiny&buff&doo-ragged Harley gang (known as "Chromosexuals" around here). Some of them act as if my bike has a communicable disease, and their rides will become affected, and they say nasty things to me.:damn angry: But I don't mind. I think it's funny.
No, the faux tank is still very much faux. That "gas cap" on top has a cover that swings out, to allow access to the bolt that hold the tank onto the airbox(via a custom bracket)
The fuel tank holds about 3 litres, gives me a range of about 250-260 k. before the red light (at highway speeds). The tank that I just finished, for use when I have the trunk and bags in place, holds over 5 litres. I should be pushing over 300 k between fillups with that one in use.
Thanks for the new word, Brian. "Purposefulness" I'll try that one out on the Harley folks, next time they're dissing my poor old ride.
Cheers!

Back