Instrument Cowl Install Instructions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black88mx6

Reaction score
Looking for a PDF or writeup on how to install the OEM instrument cowl. MINI windshield. I have been reading how some have cracked their turn signal stalks due to over tightening. Do the brackets need to be bent or adjusted. What are the adjustments needed for correct alignment.

Undo your turn signal stalkes and hold the brackets up to the mounting point to see if they line up. If the bend is wrong carefully bend them with pliers, mount the hook part over the signal stalk bolt and tigten them up evenly. There should be small indentations to align them.

Thank you for your reply.

Does anything go between the "hooks" and the metal of the fork/handle base? I would think that this would get scratched up for corroded otherwise.

Thank you for your reply.

Does anything go between the "hooks" and the metal of the fork/handle base? I would think that this would get scratched up for corroded otherwise.

Nothing goes between them, but if you really want to, you can pickup some rubber or nylon washers to use if your concerned about it. I did that with my chromed side panels so the screws wouldnt be hitting directly on the chrome. I have the GIVI on order now and will be doing this once it arrives. Just be careful to not over tighten, thats where the problem lies with the cracking!

Concerned with over tightening. What ends up cracking when you do this? The aluminum head where the turn signal stalks bolt into?

I have included some pictures of my install. The bends are a little off, but I don't want to tighten this too much.

This is a MEK wind screen, not the stock unit. I believe that the metal is much thicker than the stock one.

Attachments

• IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 35
No comments on the pics regarding what cracks when over-tightening? MEK says that the head will not crack if I try to tighten it.

I've seen heads crack as well as the windshield itself. I'd be more conserned with the windshield.

I used to run the factory instument cowl. I just carefully tightened it up until I felt it it was good then went with it. turned out I was right. It stayed on my bike until this year when I sold it.

I don't have one but I believe what others are saying is that the turn signal stalks can crack. Not the aluminum piece that they attach to.

the thing doesn't have to be torqued to 50 ft lbs. just nice and snug and mines never moved. hell with my little 12mm combination wrench i can only get it so tight. huge pain to get in and out of there.

It doesn't move, the stalks are snug against the bracket, but the bracket is not flush against the head.

I'm with KJ, if it's snug let it be. The only other thing for you to do different is to bend the tabs so they flat against the bracket. My Givi was a pain to get the tabs bent so they would lay flat against the tab that it seemed that I had the wrong part at first. But in the end they worked just fine.

Back