Instrument panel connectors bypass?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenuwlijer

Reaction score
uF6Cw9l.jpg

Hi guys,

I've put a KOSO speedometer on my bike last year and now I'm in the process of discarding the instrument panel and modifying (destroying) it to fit some custom gauges. I've pulled the connectors and after that I came to the conclusion that the high beam and turn signal lights are not working anymore. It seems I have to bypass the connectors.

Can anyone tell me how to bypass this problem and which wires I have to connect from both connectors, so there is a working cirquit again?

Need to know more - which Koso instrument are you using and does i have indicator, high beam and neutral lights?
Where are you going to locate the fuel level warning light?

Hi Steve,

I'm using this one: https://www.kosoeurope.com/en/multi...er-telltales-lcd-display-tuev-approved?c=3095

When I installed it last year, I connected the wires form the device onto the existing wires to the high beam bulb and the turn signal bulbs, so I didn't have to worry about the original instrument panel. In other words... When engaged, the installed wires would get 12v and the indicator lights would turn on on the Koso device. I bypassed the cirquit alltogether.

But now... It seems I need to connect the wires properly and directly to the Koso device, as I'm not using the instrument panel any longer.

Hi beam uses the blue/black wire for +12v as it enters the switch on your handlebars. From there, green powers the normal light and high beam uses the yellow wires. Green does not go to the instrument panel, but yellow does. It is however in parallel with your headlight so it does not need to be bypassed. Please check if you get +12v on the yellow connector shown in the picture when you set the beam to high. If so, please check the bulb. If not, check the cabling from the switch towards the yellow wire shown in the picture.

Okay, thank you very much! I will try this when the kids are asleep.

Here is what I measured / figured out so far:

White connector:

Ignition on.

Black ==> 0v = GROUND
Yellow ==> 8.2v or 12.4v = HEADLIGHT
Green/Red ==> 0v = ?
Blue/Black ==> 12.4v = Instrument lights + HANDLEBAR SWITCH
Brown ==> 0v = ?
Grey ==> 12.4v = ?

Red Connector:

Ignition on:

Green/Grey ==> 0v = PETROL
Light Blue ==> 0v = NEUTRAL
Brown ==> 0v = TURN SIGNAL
Dark Green ==> 0v = TURN SIGNAL
Red/Black ==> 12,4v = OIL + PETROL
Black/Red ==> 0v = OIL

Remco.... En Rinco.... Nederlands kan ook

Sorry, just a couple of Dutch guys here on this topic

No luck. I can't get the turn signal lights, the brake light and te headlight to work. They will only function with the instrument panel connectors attached. That ship has sailed though... They're gone.

The KOSO is working, as it was before.
The gauges are working as well.

(The temperature gauge doesn't show a figure, because there's no sensor installed. Tested it before with a sensor and a cup of hot wather.)

OSqwhGt.jpg

Your set-up looks similar to mine - you will need to use at least the wires that go to the red and white connectors.
The power has to get to the relevant circuits somehow.
I used another male connector with the connections as per the diagram I posted and connected then to the red an white OE ones in the loom.

Make sure the start button isn't partially depressed. That shuts off power to those items you are noting.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!

I've tried out 1.000.000.000 or so connections today and finally got something of a bypass. I found out that the brake light and the turning light signals will work if:

======================================
I put the GREY cable from the WHITE connector to a source that gets 12v AFTER ignition ..

and

I put the BROWN cable from the RED connector to either the right or the left turn signal indicator wire of the KOSO device ..
==================================

The brake light and the turning light signals will work.

But..........

No headlight. The bulb has blown. When I install another, there's a malfunction in the turning light relay. Seems like its about to break down then. Like I'm about the destroy it when I'll try a second longer. Signal lights not working.

When I leave the bulb out alltogether though, everything works.

Okay. So let's try yet another bypass. Get the + / - feed from another source in the harness.

Nope. Same symptoms as before.

The grey wire on the red is the pulsed feed for the tacho, not quite sure what effect that is giving.

The 'brown' wire you refer to is actually chocolate and comes from the LH indicators.

To get the indicators to work you need to put diodes into the instrument indicator warning light

I didn't know what "diodes" are, so I googled it. Two questions:

1.: What diodes would I need and would I need to solder them to both the orange and the blue (KOSO) wire?

2.: What can I change on "I put the GREY cable from the WHITE connector to a source that gets 12v AFTER ignition .."? Because I tried countless options and this seems to be the only one that works.

( I'm not a mechanic or electrician, so everything I do is on a trial and error basis.)

Latest posts

Back