Intake & 2 barrel carb?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser1198

Reaction score
Over the yrs I have seen some Maxes with a pipe and instead of doing a Stage 7 kit they have a 2 barrel carb and intake on them . Now is this a problem doing this or is it okay to get a set up like this? I was afraid to take my carbs off my 96 and screw something up just wondering does anyone make the intake also . Thanks K.C.

Those systems are for forced induction, never seen one for a normally-aspirated system. Gold Wings had one like that.

Send your carbs to dannymax or Morley's Muscle for a thorough rebuild or mods, if you don't want to do them yourself.

I've often been fascinated by the 2bbl setup, we see this brought up more often on the Venture side as these carbs reach 30+ yrs old. General consensus is that nothing really works better than a good going over of the OEM carbs. We have seen some 2bbl setups on Youtube (Ventures) that are claimed to work alright. There is also a PICT34 (early type I VW single barrell) for the Venture. IMHO the idea behind this is to save the 500-600-ish bones it takes to correctly rebuild the OEM carbs, which sounds high but knowing what I know now it's worth it. I rebuilt mine myself with plenty of guidance from folks here, not the least of whom is the guy that already responded, Thank you Medic!

I do believe that just because something works (?) on a Venture does not mean it will feed a Vmax which has an additional 3000rpm and 50-ish hp over a Venture. Actually I'm quite skeptical that it even works properly on a Venture, I remain unconvinced in the absence of any real proof, like dyno slips showing power curves. I just cant see how a 2bbl can do the same job without a serious investment of money and time, and even then...

If it was easy and effective I think we would see a lot more 2bbls out there. I will X2 the above suggestion, I believe it is the most cost effective and least frustrating way too make your max happy again.

Dannymax and Sean Morley are the guys I've turned-to, asking questions, they are pros, doing it for a living. I'm a hobbyist who tries to save $$$ doing things myself, with help from a lot of people. The shop owner where I get help, locally, is a good mechanic. He's built big-bore, NOS, supercharged, and turbocharged VMaxes, and sometimes combinations of those. He's whom I ask most-often for help, but those guys and CaptainKyle are people who have helped me. I'm happy to assist anyone as I can.

See attachments. I have old contact info for the guy that was selling these kits. Not sure if he's still around or if they are still available. Its been years.
Everything I've read is that it can be made to work but its never "right".

Attachments

• Kodac Misc Photos 198.jpg
    Kodac Misc Photos 198.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Kodac Misc Photos 202.jpg
    Kodac Misc Photos 202.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 42
That spider manifold looks like it should allow substitution for the OEM 4 carbs OK. I'll continue to fix my stock carbs. Thanks for posting the pics, though, Mike.

Remember Nobody? I'm sure some of you do. Didn't he run an automotive carb with claimed sucess? I'm not switching, because to much of my time is invested in the OEM carbs. But an accellerator pump squirt is intreging.

Latest posts

Back