Intake Covers? (and a new face)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like the styling of the Gen1 intake covers?

• Heck yes!

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Not even!

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

desert_max

Reaction score
Coupla things:

Thing one: For a while, I've kinda been not-too-fond of the plastic intake covers that are, actually stylistic cues that keep the "imaginary airflow" from the scoops going into the cylinders. It may be blasphemous, but I think they're a bit cheesy.

After removing them some time back, I began to notice that more than a few others have removed them, too. Of course, I'll hang onto them, but what to others think?

picture.php

Thing two: I moved the skins from the donor '85 and put them on my formerly yellow '94 and it's now "flamed". I like the look and believe it's a couple of tenths faster with the new scheme.

picture.php

BTW, it's a lot easier to pull the front fender off an '85 than a '94. Stinkin' bigger fork tubes makes life a beach. Had to pull the wheel on the '94.

EDIT: Yes, I know the rear seat section is not "seated" properly. (Didn't realize it until I reviewed these pics!)

Isn't the one on the left side solid to keep water off the electronics that are all bolted up behind there? I know the right one is slotted to let air get to the radiator cap. I think it would be great if there was a set of inserts that incoporated some LED turn signals, but I don't really mind having them covered with screens as is.

Posted with my thumbs.

He's talking about the chrome covers over the intake manifolds.

I pulled mine last spring to synch the carbs. I was excited to ride and didn't put them back on. After riding around like that a bit I never bothered to put them back. I'm kinda undecided about'em myself. I think it looks good either way. Polished intakes would be sweet.

I think the flamed tins look good.

Not talking about the scoops, Dave. I'm referring to the plastic covers that go over the carburetors and intakes.

Isn't the one on the left side solid to keep water off the electronics that are all bolted up behind there? I know the right one is slotted to let air get to the radiator cap. I think it would be great if there was a set of inserts that incoporated some LED turn signals, but I don't really mind having them covered with screens as is.

Posted with my thumbs.

I was thinking of pulling mine as well when I got to thinking about t he electronics on the left side... I hit enough rain that I'd be concerned about all the water getting in there.

I was thinking of pulling mine as well when I got to thinking about t he electronics on the left side... I hit enough rain that I'd be concerned about all the water getting in there.

Too bad he's talking about the plastic chrome "H" covers over the V-boost...

Posted with my thumbs.

Posted with my thumbs.

When I bought my 97 it had amber LED turnsignals mounted vertically in the inserts. They were about 1 inch tall by 1/2 inch wide with 6 individual LED's in each signal. The wiring was threaded through the center bolt hole on the outside edge. Looked great and very subtle. I removed them because I was concerned with the visibility for oncoming traffic. Sold those LEDs on eBay for $10.

The pic was of the delivery day on the shippers truck. Bought the bike on eBay. You can see the LED signal as a small amber piece on the insert.

Attachments

• In Truck 3.jpg
    In Truck 3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 44
I switched to billet aluminum ones that I got off Ebay. Never really liked the look of the stock ones.

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 44
They definitely don't "add" anything visually. Flat blacking them help them disappear. I have a set of billet ones Powdercoated red to match my accent color so they stand out more than stock but less than polished or chrome jobs. I suppose its all up to the theme or focus of your bike. I'd like to see someone make a set or stainless sheet lazier cut in a honeycomb pattern like so many muscle cars. Owner can paint, polish or coat to there desire.

Lots of options out there to get machined replacements that look a lot better and are of a much better quality. IMHO the stock ones look kind of cheesy. But that is just one man's opinion.

IMHO the stock ones look kind of cheesy. But that is just one man's opinion.

Uh, ain't that what I said? The good news, Jim, is that now it's at least two men's opinions...

:shittystick:

Glad to see you (and Toxic) still inhabiting the environs.

Made some of those for Sean last year I think it was?

Attachments

• 007 (Small).JPG
    007 (Small).JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 016 (Large).jpg
    016 (Large).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 35
I blacked out the center piece of the cover, makes the "flow" of the carbs look much better IMO

First....'thing two'...the flamed tins look great, as for the couple tenths faster, some of them yellow Max's are pretty hard to get around....have to take a wait 'n see on that. :biglaugh:

'Thing one'....I like the 'H's', pain in the ass if you're a sync-o-path (such as myself) but I still remove/replace them every time.

Mike's idea of chrome intake runners might have some merit tho....gotta give that some further thought....:hmmm:

I voted first instead of reading it all, too. The words "imaginary airflow" threw me. I voted for them, so the poll is skewed. I took mine off to work on the carbs, and eventually just left them off. I do like the V 4 emblem like veebooster has. I suffer from the same disorder as Danny. When I bought a morgan carb-tune I thought I could handle it. Before I knew it, I to, was a Sync-o-path.

Hi, my name is Bob and I am a sync-o-path too:rofl_200: On topic though, I like the OEM chrome covers:confused2:

Stock chrome covers are long gone! I replaced them with a billet set from Python Motorsports (Like Dale aka Veebooster), don't bother looking because Tom has pretty much stopped selling billet stuff other than what he has on hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 19
Back