Intake Manifold bolt question.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dekberg

Reaction score
Had to take the intake manifold off to replace the rubber boots that connect them. As some of you may know there is two different bolt sizes that attach the manifolds to the engine. Well, pretty sure the guy that owned the bike before me botched the bolt placement. (only had one short bolt out of the eight bolts)

So here's the question; there is 2 of the bolt holes that leak oil. (i believe it is the outside bolt hole for the #1 and #3 cylinder). Which bolts go in these holes, the short ones or the long ones?

Looked at the cut away for ordering parts and it looks like it should be the long bolts. But I saw a thread in the forum that stated it should be the short bolts. Which ones do I use?

Thanks for your help.
Darren

Gary, you are correct.

The red arrowed bolt, top left hand side,in the linked picture is correctly identified as a short bolt.
The other short bolt should have been shown as the one at the bottom right hand side.
Easy way to tell is that they are the two holes that bleed oil.

Had to take the intake manifold off to replace the rubber boots that connect them. As some of you may know there is two different bolt sizes that attach the manifolds to the engine. Well, pretty sure the guy that owned the bike before me botched the bolt placement. (only had one short bolt out of the eight bolts)

So here's the question; there is 2 of the bolt holes that leak oil. (i believe it is the outside bolt hole for the #1 and #3 cylinder). Which bolts go in these holes, the short ones or the long ones?

Looked at the cut away for ordering parts and it looks like it should be the long bolts. But I saw a thread in the forum that stated it should be the short bolts. Which ones do I use?

Thanks for your help.
Darren

Short bolts go in these holes.

So, Dannymax says cylinders 1 and 3, and MaxMidnight says cylinders 1 and 4?

I'm simply not understanding this! Who is correct here?

Thanks.

Elimax

So, Dannymax says cylinders 1 and 3, and MaxMidnight says cylinders 1 and 4?

I'm simply not understanding this! Who is correct here?

Thanks.

Elimax

Good catch Elimax.....NEITHER #1 & #4 or #1 & #3 are correct!!

The short bolts go on the outside of the left front cylinder....#2 and the outside of the right rear cylinder....#3.

Cylinders are numbered thusly,
2 4

1 3

Steve was correct. :worthy:

(Re-read his response, he didn't say #1 & #4)

dannymax, in my apparantly miscolored "how-to" you stated
...goes into the outside holes on #2 & #3 cylinders.

but in this thread you emphasize "#1 and #3

i'm pretty sure the carbs are numbered when sitting on bike as
2 4
1 3

it looks like there is a general agreement though, is that the short bolts go on the outside of the front left and the rear right. so based on this, the bolts go on the outside of 2 and 3

i am so very sorry everyone for adding to the confusion. as soon as i can i will update the pic in the how-to.

dannymax, in my apparantly miscolored "how-to" you stated

but in this thread you emphasize "#1 and #3

i'm pretty sure the carbs are numbered when sitting on bike as
2 4
1 3

it looks like there is a general agreement though, is that the short bolts go on the outside of the front left and the rear right. so based on this, the bolts go on the outside of 2 and 3

Yes I emphasized incorrectly ninjaneer, and made a feeble attempt at correction in the post before yours! I also apologize for adding to the confusion....sometimes the simplest things go completely off the rail......:confused2:

No worries at all, Ninjaneer!!! Your tutorial was still excellent. It was easy to follow, and allowed me to do something I had never done. Thanks! I'm glad we have this sorted now, too.

Elimax

Latest posts

Back