Intake manifold bolt--torque spec

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm...think I answered my own question. Page 3-78 of the service manual says 7.2 ft lbs. or 86.4 in. lbs.

Problem is they don't refer to them as 'intake manifolds' but part of the 'v-boost assembly.'

Is this correct?

Make note that you should have 2 shorter bolts - the ones that pass into the oil galley area. It's not going to plug off any oil pressure hole but will bottom out on the cylinder head nuts if you use ones that are too long.

Sean

I usualy dont use torque wrench for those small bolts. As for the M6 bolt Id say 10-12Nm.

Like Sean said, watch out for longer ones. I found one like that after I bought my bike and Its slightly leaking now.

Mmm...think I answered my own question. Page 3-78 of the service manual says 7.2 ft lbs. or 86.4 in. lbs.

Problem is they don't refer to them as 'intake manifolds' but part of the 'v-boost assembly.'

Is this correct?

Yes, they are considered part of the v-boost assembly in the manual. 10 NM/7.2 ft lbs is correct!

Thanks guys! :worthy:

I did notice the shorter bolts, they were the outside bolts on #2 and #3 cylinders and were stainless instead of black.

They each had a little dob of silicone on the end which I figured must be why those bolts don't leak from the factory....altho I don't understand why that would prevent it. :confused2:

I usualy dont use torque wrench for those small bolts. As for the M6 bolt Id say 10-12Nm.

If I didnt find this post, I probably would have over torqued these intake manifold bolts. Can you achieve 7.2 ft. lbs with a nut driver?

I guess I need a torque wrench and Im looking at a snap-on TECH2FR100.

I would need a extention and have read you need to recaulculate the torque specs. Is this true?

And the outside bolts of my Vgas manifold are under the elbow preventing anything other than a allen wrench..

Thanks

If I didnt find this post, I probably would have over torqued these intake manifold bolts. Can you achieve 7.2 ft. lbs with a nut driver?

I guess I need a torque wrench and Im looking at a snap-on TECH2FR100.

I would need a extention and have read you need to recaulculate the torque specs. Is this true?

And the outside bolts of my Vgas manifold are under the elbow preventing anything other than a allen wrench..

Thanks

Yes, it's true. This pretty well explains it:

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/torque/torque.html

Oh, almost forgot....if you place the torque wrench at 90? to the extension no calcs are needed, the torque value isn't changed.

I borrowed a snap-on torque wrench and tightened the inside bolts to 7.2 foot pounds. Then guessed 7.2 on the outside because its impossible getting the torque wrench on those with Vgas manifolds. I could still slip a feeler gauge between the manifolds and head. :ummm:I'm guessing the new o-rings are preventing aluminum to aluminum contact. Does this sound correct? I'm a bit concerned I will have a oil leak on the short bolts.

Should I run the bike and let the o-rings conform then re-torque?

Back