Integrated CBR LED Tail Light Mounting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had capitalized on this but I love DIY projects to much

I'm going for it! Just ordered it and a chrome license plate frame with the led plate light integrated.

I've followed the confusion here and am pretty sure I have figured out "the one".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e368R4ttjCE

This is a video of the Motodynamic unit in action. It has the sequential lights and triple blink brake lights (my favorite), as well as the resistors to adjust the blinker rate. The $30 knock-off ones will not do all this.

Hope this helps anyone shopping to do the mod.

Last edited:
has anyone removed the tail completely? like no tail cover just a bracket for license and tail light?

on a 1990 vmax

has anyone removed the tail completely? like no tail cover just a bracket for license and tail light?

on a 1990 vmax
Yes, A few guys have done that.

Like this one:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Stewmax-bobbed.jpg
    Stewmax-bobbed.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 253
Dang that does look good thanks Dmann. is there a link to more info?

Any advise on light kits to use. Im guessing the bracketing was custom

That looks like it's just bolted in place of the reflector that fits in the grab bar. That's a pretty easy thing to do. Just secure the wires for the turn signals so they don't dip down and get sucked into the rear wheel.

Dang that does look good thanks Dmann. is there a link to more info?

Any advise on light kits to use. Im guessing the bracketing was custom
One or two of these in pace of the stock reflector would work well: http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm

Quite a few guys here have them and really like them.
And yes I'm sure you'd have to fab up a custom plate bracket or use an axle mounted plate bracket:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=vmax+1200+license+plate&_from=R40%7CR40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvmax+1200+license+plate+side.TRS0&_nkw=vmax+1200+license+plate+side&_sacat=0

Here's one more with a chopped rear fender:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Vmax-Chopped-Rear-Fender.jpg
    Vmax-Chopped-Rear-Fender.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 224
Finished mine up fabbed the plate bracket then decided on making another part to stiffen the angle. Looks slick. Nearly impossible to see from the side though. probably going to put some tape light on the bottom of the sissy bar grab rail

Attachments

• TailLight.jpg
    TailLight.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 161
  • TailLight Parts.jpg
    TailLight Parts.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 138
Here's what I did to plug the holes (Emgo bungee nuts M10, Probolt drilled M10 washers). I view them as tow points for any broken Hardleys I run into.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426137006.035924.jpg

Here's the rear with both lights:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426137056.770508.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a copy of this guide in .pdf format:

Attachments

• Vmax-CBR-Tail-Light-Mod-by-Jediael.pdf
    727.7 KB · Views: 48
Thank you for all the great input everyone, I've been itching to get rid of that old tail light and this was perfect! For such a great bike the whole rear end is a little dated.

Included with the tail light mod I installed a set of Bikemaster turn signals (they act as running lights[red], brake lights[brighter red], and turn signals[amber]), and a new set of Michelin Commander II tires (110/90-18 front, 170/80-15 rear). The turn signals are small but super bright and definitely add to the great look of the intergrated tail light.

I can post a video if anyone wants to see how the intergrated lights all function together as brake and turn signals. Here are a couple quick pics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw7KVj4Ta4XLdUVPUzdUWi03Vnc/view?usp=docslist_api
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw...ThjTnJxRERoc1E1dFJSQzI4/view?usp=docslist_api

Next up are the front signals and a new MT-03 headlight.

Attachments

• vmax 2.jpg
    vmax 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 97
  • vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 97
I finally did it. The CBR taillight mod. :eusa_dance:

Thanks to all who started and dialed it all in. :worthy:

Same idea as many others before me, a little different of course, as I did not have the inner fender to work with. I did want it to be “bolt on/off” and removable for maintenance so the epoxy route wasn’t what I was lookin for.

NOTE: You may also notice that along the way, the bike transforms from Orange to black along the way, as I bought some new(er) skins. I had planned to paint the set a year or two ago, but they were in good shape, so I figured I’ll keep the black for a spell, and maybe next year ( or 2) I'll go the green I always wanted.

Anyhoo..
I had a piece of scrap metal laying around at work that appeared to be close enough for what I needed.

I don’t know if y’all are familiar with what my bike was like before, with the “repaired” shorty fender that I had installed, as the PO had installed some ole’ banged up tail/running light and an old chrome rear fender.

You’ll notice in the pics, I used an old fender (yellow) for the “mockup” of the inner tin.

If you’re paying attention, you may also notice how my Inner tin “evolved” as I got closer to the final product.

Remember kids, measure twice, cut once IS the best practice. (ask me how I know). :bang head:

I also wanted to keep my (not LED) turn signals, as I like the “smaller than stock” ones.
One of the last pics shows a new light attached to the the “reflector holder” thingy kabob (with all the holes in it). It was a light purchased off the shelf from cycle gear.

Also (not pictured), I used factory type "bullet" connectors for all the electrics, for ease of taking it all apart again in future. I also had to split the signals/brake/running wires into mutliples as I kept the turn signals, and for the "2nd" brake/running light AND the plate lights needed power as well. So they all can be unplugged- independent of each other which is nice.

Anyway, here are some pics of the work, and the final product for your viewing pleasure…

Thanks,
T$

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 84
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 81
Thanks guys.

I heard about the losing of 2 of them. Is his bike lowered?

I would like to get about an inch lower, but I'm a little concerned myself as to how it holds up riding 2 up over the bumpys.

T$

Latest posts

Back