Interests or hobbies not related to motorbikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my biggest regrets was passing up a deal on a 1972 GS Stage 1. I was working as a Millwright for Timken Steel and my co-worker built tractors for tractor pulls. He had the car sitting on blocks for 10 years in a barn. This was in 1981. Sea green, 455 CI, 4-barrel, 4 speed. All for 1500 bucks and he offered to toss in a free paint job. His kid was turning 16 and the guy did not want him to kill himself driving the car. I had just bought a Kawasaki LTD 1000 off the showroom floor, so I had payments. Kick my self constantly for not just getting it.
Zeus, Back in 1974 I was a young guy just starting out in my trade and working at this older gents house he took me out to his garage to show me his white convertible pure stock 1967 Vette with 435 HP and the factory lake pipes. He was a retired GM exec and offered me the car for $5000, I had no way to afford that car at that time, but I will always remember it. :) :(

My other hobbies: Firearms before they got outrageously expensive, modifying pocket knives, fountain and rollerball pens, estate tobacco pipes and tobacianna, cigars, building computers, playing Call of Duty, Science Fiction from the 50's and 60's, collecting Flight Gear, Leather jackets, hobbyist machining and machine restoration, HP calculators, collecting tools, Indiana Jones gear, vintage Fedoras and 40's/50's clothing, Old West outfits and anything Star Trek.
That’s a heck of a list, you must never be bored. Some cool hobbies.

Used to shoot competitive handgun, now just a few times a year to see if I remember how to pull a trigger. Cars always interest me, I have my private fixed wing pilots licence but golf has been consuming most of my limited free time in the summer during the week and then the wife and I spend our weekends at a lake lot to enjoy some hunting and fishing. Honestly not sure when I find time to work. lol

Zeus, Back in 1974 I was a young guy just starting out in my trade and working at this older gents house he took me out to his garage to show me his white convertible pure stock 1967 Vette with 435 HP and the factory lake pipes. He was a retired GM exec and offered me the car for $5000, I had no way to afford that car at that time, but I will always remember it. :) :(
Like this?

1967 Corvette Tri-Power.01.jpg1967 Corvette Tri-Power.02.jpg1967 Corvette Tri-Power.03.jpg

One of my friends here in FL owns it. He owns a collision shop, and specializes in restorations of C1, C2, and C3 Corvettes. The paint on this is 11 years old.

A story similar, another friend who bought & sold cars, in the 1980's I found/bought a '67 GTO 4-speed convertible but had no place to store it. He let me use a space in his storage yard, no cost. Someone soon offered me 3X what I'd paid for it, and away it went.

Like this?

View attachment 86795View attachment 86796View attachment 86797

One of my friends here in FL owns it. He owns a collision shop, and specializes in restorations of C1, C2, and C3 Corvettes. The paint on this is 11 years old.

A story similar, another friend who bought & sold cars, in the 1980's I found/bought a '67 GTO 4-speed convertible but had no place to store it. He let me use a space in his storage yard, no cost. Someone soon offered me 3X what I'd paid for it, and away it went.
It was a white convertible. Factory lake pipes and 435 HP.

I've been an amateur astronomer for over 40 years, I have a 14 inch meade telescope, sometimes I go up North or out of the city lights and spend all night out there observing with my daughters. Here's a photo I took long time ago of m51 the whirlpool Galaxy , and the mighty Andromeda galaxy our closest neighbor, my wife and daughter say I'm not from this planet I agree I wasn't born on this planet I was dropped off,and muscle cars, That's my 1970 Corvette with the l46 motor 4 speed and t-tops all original even original paint only 19,000 miles, I also have a 1967 Buick GS, I'm also into vintage audio
Nice pictures! I've got an 11 inch celestron

it's great to see what other people do in threads like this, my other interests are dogs and making things with metal
here is a dragon that I am nearing finishing which has an eight foot wingspan and is made of scrap mild steel
View attachment 86764View attachment 86765View attachment 86767

I also make a lot of decorative items to donate to animal charities for them to auction and raffle to raise money,
these particular items are made in stainless steel which is my preferred material as it doesn't need painting but I also do them in mild steel, the pictures on them enable people to put their own pictures in if they choose to
View attachment 86768View attachment 86769View attachment 86770View attachment 86771
I'm surprised noone else has commented about these, but that is most impressive. I'm guessing you don't have a full time job ad it must take considerable amount of time to fabricate those, stainless steel is a hard, pun intended, metal to work with.

Re. the dragon's body, do you weld it up and hand carve with grinder and dremel? Just wondering how you do that.

I'm surprised noone else has commented about these, but that is most impressive. I'm guessing you don't have a full time job ad it must take considerable amount of time to fabricate those, stainless steel is a hard, pun intended, metal to work with.

Re. the dragon's body, do you weld it up and hand carve with grinder and dremel? Just wondering how you do that.
thank you, yes stainless steel is hard to work with but is worth the effort especially when polished, on a smaller scale stainless is good for ornamental work as it doesn't need painting and it allows all the working of the metal to show, a rose candle holder or picture frame with scroll takes just over 3 full days to make, not sure whether I'd like to make something large like the dragon in stainless but I do intend to make a 2'' tall seahorse in stainless next year,
the dragon took 16 weeks to get to that stage and will take several more days to be painted, but that is weather dependent, although I have painted it in a 'spare' colour for now just to stop it rusting, and yes to your description, many small parts are welded together and some areas are just built up with weld and then a grinder is used to create the final shape, I have limited room, limited tools and limited wrist movement which means I'm limited in what I can do 😆

Resistance training, running, healthy food. Playing tennis, singing, youtube channel.
I used to put together 1911s, about 6-7. Parts and frames from Sarco.

For me, at 60 , I can still subject my body to high-stress water sports and I combine that with very special cars, drones RC planes etc...

View attachment 86812View attachment 86813View attachment 86814View attachment 86815View attachment 86816View attachment 86817View attachment 86818
I love water skiing!!! I will find out tomorrow, it should be somewhere close to me (Florida!!!) I love what you do to stay healthy! Can you post video links for waterskiing and waveriding (I don't know right name for it), please?

For me, at 60 , I can still subject my body to high-stress water sports and I combine that with very special cars, drones RC planes etc...

View attachment 86812View attachment 86813View attachment 86814View attachment 86815View attachment 86816View attachment 86817View attachment 86818
I love water skiing!!! I will find out tomorrow, it should be somewhere close to me (Florida!!!) I love what you do to stay healthy! Can you post video links for waterskiing and waveriding (I don't know right name for it), please?
I dig your MAX, stock and a beauty!

Waterskiing is now quite a large selection of disciplines, the initial ones are:
- Slalom Waterskiing
- Trick Skiing
- Jumping
in 1982, Barefoot Waterskiing was introduced and a whole lot of other disciplines started mushrooming:
- Kneeboarding
- Wakeboarding
- Wake Skating
- Wake Surfing
I swear I am not making this up!! 🤣🤣
You have a lot of good schools in Florida and my advice to you is to start with waterskiing and barefooting.
I will shortly post a link to my slalom skiing...
Wish you the best of luck and ski safe! 🙏

Latest posts

Back