Intermittent no crank issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomike

Reaction score
Hey guys I hope this question hasn't been asked too much but this problem is really starting to get on my nerves. My bike is a 90 model that I just bought a couple months ago. I replaced the battery immediately after I bought it bc the shipper that delivered it left the key switch in tail light mode for 2 days & killed it. Then on occasion I would try to start the bike and all lights would come on, fuel pump would prime, v-boost would cycle and when I press the start button I get nothing. Headlight goes out and red lights on dash come on like they are supposed to when I hit the button but no crank. Sometimes I could rock the bike back & forth and it would start. So I read up on charging system issues with the bike and so far have cleaned the main ground at the oil cap, performed the mod to the R/R bypassing the crimp and eliminating the stator connector but the problem still persists. Yesterday morning I went to ride it to work and once again the same thing happened, so I drove my truck to work, came home and did nothing more than turn the key and it fired right up. I really hope someone here can help me with this because I love this bike but it really sucks when the thing won't start.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I'll give that a check but the switch does "seem" to be working fine. When it acts up the solenoid doesn't click or anything.

Check and clean the three wire(brown, red, blue) ignition switch connector. You will find it under the faux tank between the frame components.
Also, you could clean the positive wire on the starter motor.
Cheers!

The only time I had those exact symptoms, it was the start button sticking. Clean it carefully and see if that fixes the problem. It was intermittent. Next time it happens, push the start button several times quickly, letting it pop back out and see if it starts. It seems to stick and not completely pop out.

You haven't mentioned this but, when it does start does it sound like a box of rocks rolling around for a split second? Is it a slight buzzing/wering sound or just nothing?

Well last night I went through a few things. I started with the starter button, took it apart and cleaned & lubed the contacts but they actually looked pretty good to start with. Then I cleaned the positive cable connection at the starter, which was also surprisingly clean already. Then I checked the connection for the right handlebar switches and put some dielectric grease there too. But I think the real problem was at the kickstand switch. I traced the wiring to the connector and found it was really corroded and a little melted. So I took it out completely and bypassed it. Hopefully that will be the answer but I will have to wait & see. I will post again later with any further updates. Thanks to those of you who gave their input. I really appreciate it!

Mike

It sounds like your on the right track now following the starting system not the charging. There are several switches in the safety circuit to check if the side stand doesn't turn out to be the culprit. The clutch switch being another. Consult the schematic to see the whole circuit.

Someone mentioned the key switch connector already but I've had a few of the key switch internals get intermittent as well (worn copper contacts). Next time having the problem be sure to move the key around a bit and see if you can duplicate the problem.

No, not at all.

Dodged a bullet there.

Hopefully it's just the kickstand but if I recall correctly the kickstand kill is depressed when down so if corroded it would continue to not make contact. (Mine is in storage 30 miles away or I'd go have a look.) +1 to worn key switch.

My 85 will do this occasionally too, but it is always the clutch safety switch. One quick pull & release of the clutch lever and it will start right up.

Well it's been a few weeks since I did those repairs and so far I have not had a single time that the bike would not start! :D If this changes anytime in the near future I will update this thread. Thanks to everyone that replied for your help and input. I sure do love this bike!!

Back