Introduction

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86turbodsl

Reaction score
Hello, my first post to the forum, i'm a new member here, but no stranger to forums and bikes. I've been riding since i was 7, all dirt, had a street bike in college, a CB360, and a forced absence from riding due to marriage and family. Several years ago, a work friend gave me a Suzuki GS850 in a box and i put her together and that was my reintroduction to riding after many years. Needless to say, i'm hooked again. So the collection of bikes began, now the shop is littered with bikes and parts. GS1000's, KTM LC4, RM80, etc. And now that there's an internet, i get to research and see bikes i never saw back in the day. Lots of interesting stuff.
More background, I'm a mechanical engineer for an Automotive OEM in Michigan, design engines in R+D environment. I've always LOVED the way some bikes sounded, it's really my thing. So bikes with a big bang firing order fits the bill, such as VFR's, Ducati L twin, close to 90 degree bank angle, stuff like that. I'm not too big on 45 degree v twins, they just don't sound that appealing to me. So Harleys never really did it for me. V8 sound basically is my goal.
Yamaha R1 09+ with the crossplane crank sounds great, but the riding position sucks. I like standards. I'd never really looked at a Vmax, as i'm not really into traditional cruisers so much, preferring old school 70s-80s standards, and was only vaguely aware of them. And then i found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16yZft_RLZU

That there, is the pinnacle sound for me. I am totally hooked. I HAVE to have one. So being a reader and researcher, i figured i should come to where those that love that bike congregate. So here i am.
So short term goal, hopefully in the next year or so if i can swing the finances, is get a 1st gen Vmax.
Long term goal, being a tinkerer and engineer, is to build a custom bike based on a Vmax engine. that would combine my passions, bikes and building things.
So there it is in a nutshell. I hope to learn from the people here and hopefully contribute in some meaningful way someday. Thanks for letting me in.

Mark in Michigan

You're gonna have a lot of fun here. You can find bikes in good shape for not a lot of money and just have a blast. Everyone here is really helpful with advice and experience. Good luck with your search. There's a big group of guys in Michigan. They'll be along shortly to welcome you, too.

Whoops. I just noticed there's a sticky intoduction thread. Sorry for the clutter.

Welcome Mark!..........There are quite a few of us Mi Maxers around, both Gen 1 and Gen 2 are represented well in the state, lots of knowledge on this site and most are very helpfull when it comes to answering questions or giving advice, there is nothing V-Max related that can't be found here, purchacing, parts, repairs, modifying, upgrades, you name it, feel free to spend time looking around and getting to know some good folks and the baddest muscle bike ever produced!!..............As far as the V-8 sound goes, the one that comes closest in my opinion would be a 4-1 system, not that a good 4-2 setup doesn't sound good too but that's just me talking, there are plenty of sound clips available on U-Tube and such, good luck!!........................Tom......................P.S.....What part of Mi ya from?

As mentioned, anything and everything Vmax is here.......knowledge....parts.....resources......and much much more......welcome to the forum.

Take your time on finding a bike I'm sure you will find a nice one. What part of Michigan do you live.

I'm in mid Michigan, western Jackson county.
Welcome, Mark
So you have a mechanical background, love to tinker and mod, are a big fan of 70's and 80's muscle bikes, and love the looks and sound of the Gen 1 Max -
EVERYTHING that also floats my boat! Methinks I can see a serious internet bromance simmering here!
Take your time shopping for a Max. Lots of good deals at this time of year.
Keep in mind that all OEM changes (except cosmetic) to the Gen 1 were completed with the 2003 model year, so you couldn't go wrong by purchasing a 03-07 bike.
There is a plethora of info on this forum outlining model year changes, defects to look out for (such as second gear issues) and potential problems. By all means, post photos and descriptions of any bike you are considering buying, before closing the deal! You will get tons of opinions!
Cheers!
p.s. - If you drive due north from your place in mid-Mich., you will eventually come to what may appear to be the ends of the earth. But it's not. Look carefully, and you will eventually find a big-ass bridge, really big-ass, that joins the civilized earth to the Kingdom of Yooperland. You need a passport to get in. Certain members of the V-max community that have misbehaved have been exiled to this place, maybe being allowed out once or twice a year to attend bike meets. You will soon become acquainted to at least one of these poor fellows,:punk:
if you stay active on this forum.

M-52 & i96 exit 122 is the meet spot for a lot of the Michigan rides.

Well if your over by Jackhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IdH5gymNQson your gonna wanna join us for this next year !!!! Welcome

Not sure why you can't read my text, But anyway I'll try a separate post, first Welcome your gonna love this forum it's the best 2nd be sure to get a bike and join us in the spring for the above posted fun an MIS !!!!!

scuff thats the best $35 we could spend on a track ride. Like scuff said get a vmax and come ride with us. If you think you would like to go to one of the best vmax event let us know and we will tell you all about thunder in the valley.

Welcome, to the forum and to the world of the V-max. Keep in mind that those are the stock V-max exhaust but I'm certain that they have been drilled out to get that sound. I did it as well until I found my aftermarket exhaust that a love.

Matt

Lol. Yes, mis is not far from me. Other side of jackson. And miles, you could be right. ;-) my wife is from the keeweenaw, I met her when I attended mtu many years ago. I cant wait to get one, hopefully I dont have to sell all my other bikes to get one.

Back