Introduction

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irwnn

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Pete and I'm an alcoh...

Wait...

Wrong group.

Hi, my name is Pete and I'm new to the world of V-Max.

I've been lurking for a bit, observing, learning and, now that I've started to comment on posts, thought I should say hello.

I'm more of a sportbike/cafe racer guy, but recently came into the ownership of a 99.9% stock 1991 V-max. I am still deciding what I will do with the bike, but I know a few things already:
  1. The bike, barring some unforeseen catastrophe, will never leave my possession
  2. The bike needs a good refresh after years under a questionable maintenance program
  3. The bike has gotta get lighter
  4. The bike has gotta get louder (not a lot, but enough that I can hear the motor over the wind noise when I'm riding)
  5. My personal rule, "If you're not going to make it perform better, PUT THE WRENCH DOWN", will apply to all modifications.
I'm new to vmaxforum.net but not to forum sites in general and I know the value of the knowledge contained in these sites so, thanks in advance to all of you for your help. I'll be posting more soon.

Hi, my name is Pete and I'm an alcoh...

Wait...

Wrong group.

Hi, my name is Pete and I'm new to the world of V-Max.

I've been lurking for a bit, observing, learning and, now that I've started to comment on posts, thought I should say hello.

I'm more of a sportbike/cafe racer guy, but recently came into the ownership of a 99.9% stock 1991 V-max. I am still deciding what I will do with the bike, but I know a few things already:
  1. The bike, barring some unforeseen catastrophe, will never leave my possession
  2. The bike needs a good refresh after years under a questionable maintenance program
  3. The bike has gotta get lighter
  4. The bike has gotta get louder (not a lot, but enough that I can hear the motor over the wind noise when I'm riding)
  5. My personal rule, "If you're not going to make it perform better, PUT THE WRENCH DOWN", will apply to all modifications.
I'm new to vmaxforum.net but not to forum sites in general and I know the value of the knowledge contained in these sites so, thanks in advance to all of you for your help. I'll be posting more soon.
Welcome aboard lots of good info here you will like it

Welcome!

An exhaust and lithium battery should lighten up the bike by 25 lbs. or so I would think. Those are easy bolt-ons. The pipe will unleash more power of course as well.

Wheels (Carrozzeria) would be my next choice to lose some weight and improve handling..........if you can find a set.

Last edited:
Welcome!

An exhaust and lithium battery should lighten up the bike by 25 lbs. or so I would think. Those are easy bolt-ons. The pipe will unleash more power of course as well.

Wheels would be my next choice to lose some weight and improve handling..........if you can find a set.

Excellent advice!

It's got a wet cel battery in it at the moment that needs to go. I need to do a little research and check charging system specs before I decide on a battery.

The exhaust, although I've not had it off yet, has got to be a boat anchor, so it's definitely going.

The wheels are a tough one... I definitely like the idea of losing that rotating mass and having 17" rubber options would be great, but the challenge of finding a 17" rear for an obsolete shaft drive, I assume, will be real. Chain drive conversion? That's a whole different can of worms. And I actually think the look of the stock wheels is right for the bike, so... enh, we'll see.

Welcome!

One of the first things I usually do is lose the center stand. Another 10’ish pounds.

Dig it... I kinda like the center stand for fuel-ups, but I don't like it enough to carry its prodigious weight. 😉

Besides, I'm betting the exhaust I get will require the removal of the center stand anyway. I mean, if you're doing an exhaust, it just makes sense to tuck it in for ground clearance. 😁

Yes, I recently put a full dale walker holeshot exhaust system on mine. Conventional wisdom holds that you’re able to retain at the center stand with that system. Maybe so, but it’s close and I was experiencing a fair amount of interference with the center stand. I don’t like them anyway, so I removed it.

My previous Vmax’s have had Kerkers. Definitely no center stand possible there.

Yes, I recently put a full dale walker holeshot exhaust system on mine. Conventional wisdom holds that you’re able to retain at the center stand with that system. Maybe so, but it’s close and I was experiencing a fair amount of interference with the center stand. I don’t like them anyway, so I removed it.

My previous Vmax’s have had Kerkers. Definitely no center stand possible there.

Good intel there, thank you. 🥃

Latest posts

Back