IRC rear tire on my 85 just spins....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
My bike came with an IRC tire on the rear.

Last night as I was trying to launch a bit from the stop lights, I discovered how easily this IRC spins. I was probably turning maybe 4-5k rpm.

I hate to start a tire (or oil) thread and I've read up on here about various tire brands, but I didn't see anything about IRC.

I need a good set of tires that will bite but also last. On my XS11, I run Dunlop K491 Elite II tires and not only do they bite hard, but they last a very long time.

Suggestions, or point me to threads I missed, please?//

I've always used the Dunlop OEM tires on my . They hook up as good as any, but if you're doing burnouts and hotrodding around light to light, expect to average between 2000 and 2500 miles a piece on the Dunlops.

If you put a hard compound tire on it to get maximum mileage, you are putting yourself in harm's way. Someone WILL run out in front of you when you least expect it, and you will skid into them or onto the street.

Safety first. Go with a sticky compound.

Just my opinion, of course.

I've always used the Dunlop OEM tires on my . They hook up as good as any, but if you're doing burnouts and hotrodding around light to light, expect to average between 2000 and 2500 miles a piece on the Dunlops.

If you put a hard compound tire on it to get maximum mileage, you are putting yourself in harm's way. Someone WILL run out in front of you when you least expect it, and you will skid into them or onto the street.

Safety first. Go with a sticky compound.

Just my opinion, of course.

I agree 100%. I'd rather swap tires every 2-3K miles than wad up my bike.

IMO Stock 15 in wheel

I have ran the Metzler- Avon Venom- Michelin- Bridgestone- goodyear 195 65 15 car tire- M&H car slick

The best for Traction and Wear Metzler ME880
Smoothiest quietist Michelin
Best Traction as far as launching Shinko

WORST tire is the VENOM !!! Than the Bridgestone

bridgestones G525 work well on my 06..bike goes right up no clutch..corning is the balls and high speeds are steady solid...3000 miles on tires and look like new

I had an Avon Venom and that tire GRIPPED! It wore out if you looked at it like you were gonna smoke the tire. I now have a Metzler ME880 on, and it's wearing GREAT and hooks really well too. I'm not a fan of Dunslops.

You get what you pay for! Metzlers are the way to go! I have had many of them and they are great!

I had an Avon Venom and that tire GRIPPED! It wore out if you looked at it like you were gonna smoke the tire. I now have a Metzler ME880 on, and it's wearing GREAT and hooks really well too. I'm not a fan of Dunslops.

Sorry unless the venom changed compounds in the past 2 yrs I strongly disagree I took mine off after 500 miles and trashed it since it was a banana peel The best hooking tire is a shinko
I got some 1:55 60 ft times to prove it no other street tire can come close to the shinko in a 170 80 15

think drag racing and street riding are two different outlooks on tires

Sorry unless the venom changed compounds in the past 2 yrs I strongly disagree I took mine off after 500 miles and trashed it since it was a banana peel The best hooking tire is a shinko
I got some 1:55 60 ft times to prove it no other street tire can come close to the shinko in a 170 80 15

Yankee,Shinko does not make bias tires or 15".I agree with you on the avon venoms.For the stock wheels I had the best luck with 880 Metzeler marathons.

think drag racing and street riding are two different outlooks on tires
Ahh ya think :ummm:

As he orginally stated "Last night as I was trying to launch a bit from the stop lights, I discovered how easily this IRC spins."

I am assuming he rides his bike hard and looking for a tire that will grip under hard accleration which is a key with him
That is why I said the Shinko is the way to go Last time I checked the track was made of asphalt are your roads made of something different

Being unfamiliar with the Shinko tire, if they're like a slick, a regular radial will grip a dirty street better than a slick, versus a prepped race track where obviously the slick will do better.

No need for being a dick about these these things, especially if Shinko doesn't even make a tire for the stock 15" wheel.

No need for being a dick about these these things, especially if Shinko doesn't even make a tire for the stock 15" wheel.[/quote]

Since you missed this post I will repaste it for you

IMO Stock 15 in wheel

I have ran the Metzler- Avon Venom- Michelin- Bridgestone- goodyear 195 65 15 car tire- M&H car slick

Ok I see some of us talk out of our ass No you havent ran the shinko nor has ss So in reality your arguing about something you havent even tried so that equals Ignorance Enough Said Beer for ya :rofl_200:

Yankee,Can you post a link to where you are getting your Shinko's?
Not many ever even heard of them around here and they are hard to find.
I do agree the 03 or 01 is the best radial tire for the strip.Really soft.

I tried to find some shinko podiums for my wifes bike and was told it would take 3 months for them to come.No one stocks them.It does come in the 160/60/zr18 size that I need.

Being unfamiliar with the Shinko tire, if they're like a slick, a regular radial will grip a dirty street better than a slick, versus a prepped race track where obviously the slick will do better.

No need for being a dick about these these things, especially if Shinko doesn't even make a tire for the stock 15" wheel.

Also if you look at one post I attached a picture does it look like a slick to you
Also its called a tourmaster not a road race DOT slick so relax there Turbo

Since you missed this post I will repaste it for you

IMO Stock 15 in wheel

Ok I see some of us talk out of our ass No you havent ran the shinko nor has ss So in reality your arguing about something you havent even tried so that equals Ignorance Enough Said Beer for ya :rofl_200:[/quote]
So you are saying they do make 15" bias tires?

Back