Iridium plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Anyone using the NGK iridium plugs? I have seen the correct part number as DPR8EIX-9 and the plug looks like the one below. However when I pulled the installed plugs the connector is the threaded rod style and these connectors won't fit. What is alternate part number?

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 39
I'm sure Sean could help you out, but I'm curious, why not use the NGK OEM, or its new equivalent. I think most guys around here do..:ummm:

You can unscrew the end, and there is a threaded piece under there. Just like the original plugs.

I lost a couple if those things once and went through a bunch of plugs at the parts house looking for ones that came with the screw on piece. I think they were Ford parts.

Anyone using the NGK iridium plugs? I have seen the correct part number as DPR8EIX-9 and the plug looks like the one below. However when I pulled the installed plugs the connector is the threaded rod style and these connectors won't fit. What is alternate part number?

Let us know how they work out Tom?

Iridium is a waste of money

The idea behind Iridium and Platinum plugs is they last a long time and don't require changing as often. In some applications this makes sense for the buyer. Performance gains? I say, show me on a dyno.
In marine applications that call for these, there is a substantial savings in labor for a boat owner that doesn't do his own work. The same with a bike on a lesser scale. I'm sold on OEM NGK's until I see improved performance to justify the cost.

Yep, I replace plugs every spring anyway. They are only $10.

The idea behind Iridium and Platinum plugs is they last a long time and don't require changing as often. In some applications this makes sense for the buyer. Performance gains? I say, show me on a dyno.
In marine applications that call for these, there is a substantial savings in labor for a boat owner that doesn't do his own work. The same with a bike on a lesser scale. I'm sold on OEM NGK's until I see improved performance to justify the cost.

I agree, the only selling point is life, not performance.
There is no way a conventional plug would last 100,000 miles in a car like now a days.

There is also no way platinum or iridium would ever last advertised lifetime in a dirty, non fuel injected application. Plugs are only one reason cars can go 100,000 without a tuneup, the other is fuel injection with tight a/f control keeps things clean.

When I bought my '06 almost 2 yrs back, she had the original OEM's and never acted up or caused any problems. I finally pulled them during winter for spring Maintainance. Aside from being a bit fouled they were firing well. Carbs needed adj. though. Found new original's and she runs great.

Iridium plugs have saved me a lot of trouble, so they may be a waste of time in some of your minds, but I'll never go back to OEM.
Here in Australia, the fuel is basically crap and so full of additives that every time my bike would sit for more than 4 or 5 days it just wouldn't start. After being told by two mechanics that I had to ride the bike every 4 days to keep the fuel in the carbs from "going off" I had no trouble with starts. If I missed it by more than a few days, sure enough it wouldn't start without draining all four bowls. Anyway, I then was told to try Iridiums and now it sits for weeks and will start every time. there is no obvious performance difference but better starts and less hassle is worth it to me. Bye the way, It doesn't actually take any more time, just a little bit more money.

Iridium plugs have saved me a lot of trouble, so they may be a waste of time in some of your minds, but I'll never go back to OEM.
Here in Australia, the fuel is basically crap and so full of additives that every time my bike would sit for more than 4 or 5 days it just wouldn't start. After being told by two mechanics that I had to ride the bike every 4 days to keep the fuel in the carbs from "going off" I had no trouble with starts. If I missed it by more than a few days, sure enough it wouldn't start without draining all four bowls. Anyway, I then was told to try Iridiums and now it sits for weeks and will start every time. there is no obvious performance difference but better starts and less hassle is worth it to me. Bye the way, It doesn't actually take any more time, just a little bit more money.

I have to wonder if some lower resistance plug wires would help this even further?

As far as fuel goes, I have found that Startron does wonders for the bike. Here in Maine, we have that E-10 fuel, and on days when there is a lot of moisture in the air (such as after a lot of rain) the bike is a cast-iron BITCH to get started.

Thanks forThe input. I'm very happy ' with it Now but always happy To Consider any Thing
That helps To make it even better.

I have to wonder if some lower resistance plug wires would help this even further?

As far as fuel goes, I have found that Startron does wonders for the bike. Here in Maine, we have that E-10 fuel, and on days when there is a lot of moisture in the air (such as after a lot of rain) the bike is a cast-iron BITCH to get started.

+1 for startron or equivalent

changed my plugs from stock to ngk iridiums today.(because of a fouled plug)
the iridiums come with removable screw on tops .so your stock wire and cap works fine.
My bike starts better now. and seams to be running alot better.(power gains hard to tell without doing dyno runs. with each plug)
But it starts right up. And has a crisper throttle response

startron is all i will ever use. stabil is for lawnmowers.

My bike starts better now. and seams to be running alot better.(power gains hard to tell without doing dyno runs. with each plug)
But it starts right up. And has a crisper throttle response

Easier starting, better running, and crisper throttle response...
All excellent reasons for me to consider swapping over myself.

I imagine the better running could help a little bit with the fuel economy as well.

what's fuel economy ?
I ride a stage 7 Vmax,kerker 4into1 comp baffle.

i got my iridiums at Oreilly auto 9 bucks each.

Back