Iridium plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
Anyone running these plugs? Looking for some reviews on them before considering using them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone running these plugs? Looking for some reviews on them before considering using them

Not a whole lot of performance difference-they are supposed to last alot longer and be very careful if you decide to change the gap-they are fragile and you will scrape the coating off.IMO not gonna pay that much again for a set.

How long have you had yours in for?

I took them out not long after having them in and sold them.

I run a racing plug now and stock ngk's without resistors in my other one.

Resistors? Cops?

Ok, gotcha. So, i guess there isn't and advantage for them, even more so if you have a dyna ignition. What kind of "race plug" you run, out of curiosity

Ah... Better then nkg? And of course it's the dp8 not dpr8

I use oridium NGK since years, never had to change them.
At this time, they lasted 3 time the standard ones.
The benefit is in the longevity

I have a question, if your running COPS with resistors, which plug type if preferable to run, resistor or non-resistor? And follow up, will it make any kind of difference?

I'm testing some, I will post my thoughts. I started with the dpr8 stock, was good, now put in iridium only because I got them free thru work, seem ok as well, I have two more in mind to run.

I use oridium NGK since years, never had to change them.
At this time, they lasted 3 time the standard ones.
The benefit is in the longevity

I've have iridiums on my 2001, and had put them in back in like 2002 or 2003. I now have around 33,000+ miles on the bike. Only pulled them once to look at them a few years ago. Never had a problem with them and they looked great when I pulled them back then. I don't think I'll ever use anything else.

Vinnie

I have a question, if your running COPS with resistors, which plug type if preferable to run, resistor or non-resistor? And follow up, will it make any kind of difference?
Makes no difference at all unless you have a radio.
I have NGK DPR8EA-9
NGK DP8EA-9
Iridium DPR8EIX-9
Moose Racing DPR8EA-9

Makes no difference at all unless you have a radio.
I have NGK DPR8EA-9
NGK DP8EA-9
Iridium DPR8EIX-9
Moose Racing DPR8EA-9

Ordered my Moose plugs today to go with my COPs order :punk: can't wait to see how it runs after the plug change and COP mod!

Not only radio, but other electronic devices.
My SASY was not working with non resistor plugs, it was blinking ligne e Christmas tree...

The CoP leads have a low value resistance of a couple of ohms built into them to mimic that normally offered to the ignition unit by the OE coil(s).

Resistors used to suppress electromagnetic interference (EMI) much higher than this e.g. around 5K ohms in NGK plugs.

Should you use them? Here is NGK's view.

Further reading here and whilst it relates to aero engines the principle of resistance is the same.

If you want to know more about the different types of plugs read this.

To address your question there are those who use non resistor plugs and say their motor runs better.
From what I have read there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why this should be the case.
It would be interesting to compare dyno results to try and establish if there is any measurable difference.

A good reason to use then would seem to be the suppression of EMI particularly as we wouldn't want to cause unnecessary annoyance to our fellow human beings....would we? :hmmm:

I have used Bosch or NGK coppers for decades on various toys with great consistent results and performance, not a forever plug though. Coppers will just need to be replaced more often but I seriously doubt the dyno will show any discernible difference. I noticed no difference in the early days of messing with Platnum, irridium or the fancy splitfires that were all the rage back then. My conclusion is its marketing hype in some cases and aside from increased life of the precious metals there is no performance advantage.

Im going to pickup an 9,000 mile 88 Venture this coming week and Ill be trying out the irridiums just for fun. If I can set em' and forget em' for 50+ k miles im in, it will be worth it if it sparese from rebuying plugs every couple seasons.

I like the stock NGK's. I look forward to changing them, my 89 wakes right up with fresh plugs. This season I started J gaping, or side gaping my plugs. It's something we used to do religiously on cars.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back