Is changing the brake master cylinder wort it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is FJR 14mm brake master or equivalent worth the cost?

• No significant difference in braking power and feel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not worth the cost

• R1 or R6 calipers are a better mod keeping the stock master

• Stock brakes are strong enough and need no mods

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

firefly

Reaction score
I was originally against changing the stock brake master with an FJR 2003 on, My reasoning was the brakes are really great with HH pads and SS lines, I am aware of the need for earlier model bikes that need calipers but I've seen many late model bikes also going for the R1 & R6 calipers.
further digging in this matter revealed that the R1 & R6 use a smaller brake pad compared to late model 4 pot calipers? I would think larger pads offer more brake power ? no ?
any brakes will stop you if applied hard enough, but the problem with gripping the brakes that hard is that your arms and hands are also very occupied with an avoidance maneuver so your grip will not be as Strong as you like. I ride in heavy surface street / freeway in the Los Angeles area ( 12 hr traffic jam ) lane splitting is allowed and is the only way to move in this kind of traffic. this is not for bragging it demands great braking power and feel to ride in these conditions! this is my real life testing field.
That made me feel the need for a quicker acting brakes, this is what two finger braking means, it gives enough braking power with less grip effort and is strong from the first squeeze requiring no more pressure.

I have installed the FJR master and this is what I experienced.
What is the difference Stock vs FJR or other 14mm ?
Apparently the 14 mm give more pressure with less movement of the piston in the master, stock is 16mm.
I originally thought using say a 19 mm will give better braking power by moving more fluid which is true BUT it will need more piston travel to produce the same pressure as a 16mm and even more vs 14mm piston!
I give credit to Don Smith for enlightening me on this subject.

The bonus of the FJR master is the adjustable brake lever, but I'm happy with my brake set up with the stock master so I guess it is more of a personal choice.

Back