Is coolant refill order important?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhuram

Reaction score
I just flushed coolant in my 1997.

Followed instructions except during refill. It says to turn to “Off” then refill the radiator.

I refilled THEN turned to “Off”.

Since I did it out of order will it cause me trouble?
Should I drain and refill again ithe correct order?

1609061531124.jpeg

There’s no such thing as a stupid question. They’re are stupid answers.

I’m assuming nothing came out of the drain cock when it was in the “ON” position. All that does is allow the coolant to flow without having to remove the plastic “ON” “OFF” bolt. Guarantee if you remove that piece there’s gonna be a chunk of whatever behind that thing but not a big deal if you leave it undisturbed.

Refilling the radiator with the plastic drain cock in the “on” position won’t hurt anything, even though the manual says to turn it to “off” before refilling. Got it.

But

I should have pulled the plastic drain cock all the way off because there’s something behind it? What’s there a chunk of behind it? Just notoriously something that needs cleaning??

The purpose of the coolant drain cock is to allow the coolant to by-pass the thermostat as this would normally be closed when doing this.

By leaving it in the 'Closed' position some old coolant will pool above the t.stat when draining there and there is a possibility that air will get trapped beneath it when re-filling.
This air will have displaced the coolant that should be there so that when the t.stat opens and the air disperses the coolant level will fall.

That shouldn't be a problem provided that you check the level in the header tank once the motor has been up to operating temperature and has been allowed to go cold.
A top up may be necessary.

You do not remove the drain cock, it rotates and there are detente holes to indicate when it is either open or closed.

Back