Is it a myth?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredder

Reaction score
So i was riding with a guy last night that i grew up around. He was actually a friend of my dads. Ran into him when some of they guys i was riding with last night wanted to meet up with friend. He was pretty excited i was riding a vmax.

He told me that on a vmax the front amd rear tire are actually off set from each other. I was just curious on how true that is. Was claiming that that was part of the reason they can handle not so well in the corners.

I just havent ran acrossed anyone talking about anything like this on here and ive been through more threads on here than i can count.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hmmm is there a reasoning for it?

Not that I recall. I believe I remember Morley and the old vmoatech forum on Yahoo note that. If I recall...most older bikes have an offset.

Mark

I heard it's because some bikes weigh more on one side than the other, and without the offset you would be leaned over a bit all the time.

Don't remember where I read it though.

Interesting topic.
I believe there may be a connection with my (our) high-speed wobble. When I'm accelerating hard or when I hit dips in the road, mine develops a wobble. Not a "shake" but a resonating "wobble" that's super unnerving. When I take my hands off the bars, my bike leans to the left. I've always suspected my wheels were not tracking properly.

The WOBBLE thread.

I'm pretty sure the Meriden Triumph twins were also built like that.

As far as that goes, Indy Champ cars ran offset entire bodies, and they seemed to run OK at speed, for decades.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 21
I read what you are saying but i have a cruise control on my throttle and I set it and let my hands off of the bars and it goes straight-regardless of the mph I am going. I have had it top speed many times and I have never experienced a wobble.

There are a LOT of bikes that have the rear wheel offset.
As for Handling, If you put some grippy tires on, install aftermarket fork springs and maintain your Vmax it will handle pretty well for what it is.
Just ask Marcus Hickman.
attachment.php

Attachments

• VMax_Marcus_Hickman_cornering_4.jpg
    VMax_Marcus_Hickman_cornering_4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 146
I read what you are saying but i have a cruise control on my throttle and I set it and let my hands off of the bars and it goes straight-regardless of the mph I am going. I have had it top speed many times and I have never experienced a wobble.

Be thankful! I wish I could say that. :huh00000:

Actually, this is my third V-Max. I owned a couple 1985 models before this one. My previous Max's were rock-solid and stable at any condition or speed (well, as stable as a Gen 1 can be). The 1999 model I ride now is very, very unstable. And this one has the larger diameter fork tubes. I plan to attach my GoPro one day and hit a dip in the road on the way to work and show everyone what happens. This dip is in a turn, and one day the wobble it generated took me out of my lane - couldn't control it.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I've been riding bikes on the street for 32 years now. I just have a feeling this tracking issue is connected.

I've actually thought about sliding one fork tube up higher in the tree than the other one.

The offset won't give you a tank slapper. You can crank the rear over quite a bit anyway with the pivot pin bolts at the swingarm anyway with a mod to the bolts or use two of the adjustable ones on BOTH sides . It will make it even but it won't fix your problem. It's most likely your neck bearings flogged out or not being tight enough.
Tyres, springs, frame flex, ride height all play a part but the first place to look is the neck.

The offset won't give you a tank slapper. ...the first place to look is the neck.

Agreed. I actually have new head bearings and races on order and will give a report.

I think the "wobble" I'm talking about is different than a "tank slapper." I've experienced both. The "tank slapper" is a violent vibration quickly jerking the bars back-and-forth. The "wobble" in my bike is a slower, resonating, twisting feel, like a big fist is punching the side of my bike. VERY hard to control. When my bike gets light, like when I hit dips or hard acceleration on bad roads, the wobble shows up. It never happens at the dragstrip.

I ahve done the same and have the exact things happen, Vmax and high speed wobbles are common.

The wheel offset sounds strange to me and I never heard of that until just now!

Yea im not saying thats what causes a wobble. I was just thinking that might play a part in it. But it was news to me. I thought maybe it was a shaft drive bike thing.

If you stand behind a gen 1 Vmax it's very obvious that the rear tire center line does not match the center line of the rest of the bike.

All I can say is that if the offset caused an issue every Vmax ever made would have a wobble and they don't.
I've had my 2000 since 2001 and the only time I ever experienced a wobble was when I had a cupped front tire.
I replaced it and the wobble disappeared.
But I also adjust my steering had bearings and check the wheel and swingarm bearings every year.
So I'd say proper maintenance plays a Big part in keeping the Vmax stable.

Frame flex - Frame braces
Swingarm - Notch and brace it
17" wheels and sport bike radial rubber
Steering bearing maintenance
Update forks with Race Tech springs and emulators or USD front end
Updated rear shocks

All or some will keep the wobbles away , regardless of the offset.

Attachments

• DSC03129.jpg
    DSC03129.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 20
I had a wobble before completely re building my bike. New neck bearings are what did it in my case, but all of my bearings are new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back