Is it beyond economical repair...??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andynoiseboy

Reaction score
Hello All
I'm in the process of deciding what's best for my 1986 Vmax.
Three years ago, I took it to someone for some cosmetic tidying (engine mainly), a new clutch (original slippy) and an MOT. Turns out the guy was a complete waste of time who strung me along with lie after lie of stalling tactics. Never answered calls or messages etc. Absolute clown.
He partly stripped my bike and left it out in the elements for over 2 years without any reasonable protection and it's now in a sorry state. He scratched paintwork, broke a mirror, allowed new tyres to deflate which are now cracked/trashed, most bolts are now rusty, patches of rust around the frame, lots of cast aluminium corrosion and many other issues.
I'd still like to restore it and get back on the road but I'm wondering if it's so far gone as to be a pointless endeavour.
So I'm seeking advice to help me decide the right path.

If there's anyone in the north of England who might be interested in becoming involved then I'm happy to pay for time and expertise if it's deemed not pissing in the wind.
Any guidance gratefully received.....99078EA1-363E-458F-8E1F-A8DD10752DA5.jpeg2C67DEE9-E8DB-48FF-9428-92F3BC31181E.jpeg15E6759E-A1CB-46FD-8744-ECD2C1525979.jpegB957A868-F375-4675-A7B6-C2F1D25C18D2.jpeg

Omg that's the worst state vmax I've seen to now.

Have the heads been removed - and water got into bores = f***ked

Was there problem with 2 nd gear = f&&&ked

Those are the big ones.

I can see it would take a significant amount of time to get that looking good and running well.

Seeing that £3-4k will get you a pretty decent bike, I'd say its a parts bike but if you can't be asked taking it apart, listing and posting parts, then ebay.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, he really had a complete lack of respect, which considering he is in business as a motorcycle mechanic is an indication of his character. If it's deemed a 'write-off' then that will be the approach for my forthcoming legal action against him.
The heads are still on but the carbs are not, so there's a potential for moisture reaching the bores if any seeped past the inlet valves. I will check for this soon. There were no gear issues. Rode quite well before he abused it.

I hate to say it's over for any Vmax, but pal...it's over.

Seeing that £3-4k will get you a pretty decent bike, I'd say its a parts bike but if you can't be asked taking it apart, listing and posting parts, then ebay.

That's about it right there. Frankly, I wouldn't give you anything for it as a parts bike either with all that rust on it. I'd just cut my losses completely, buy a new bike and move on.

After I beat the hell out of the horses ass that did that to your bike, that is.

Absolutely. I am not normally a vindictive person, but if I were to get screwed like that I don’t believe I would seriously consider legal action. Chances are, it will drag on forever and produce nothing. I would find some other means of exacting my … should I say revenge?

This is doubly true if the machine you left with him was in anyway a restorable motorcycle.

Sorry you had to deal with this.

Sometimes moving ahead at a loss is better. Cut the anchor and search out a another Max.

Hello All
Three years ago, I took it to someone for some cosmetic tidying (engine mainly), a new clutch (original slippy) and an MOT. Turns out the guy was a complete waste of time who strung me along with lie after lie of stalling tactics. Never answered calls or messages etc. Absolute clown.
He partly stripped my bike and left it out in the elements for over 2 years without any reasonable protection and it's now in a sorry state. He scratched paintwork, broke a mirror, allowed new tyres to deflate which are now cracked/trashed, most bolts are now rusty, patches of rust around the frame, lots of cast aluminium corrosion and many other issues.
I'd still like to restore it and get back on the road but I'm wondering if it's so far gone as to be a pointless endeavour.

If there's anyone in the north of England who might be interested in becoming involved then I'm happy to pay for time and expertise if it's deemed not pissing in the wind.
Any guidance gratefully received.....View attachment 80369View attachment 80370View attachment 80371View attachment 80372
Guess it depends on how determined/ hardheaded you are LOL
When I found my basket case I saw a Beautiful VMax! ALL my friends saw a rusted out junk, money pit. Complete with rust in the cylinders, calipers rusted to the rotors, chewed seat and wiring. The bike shown, an '85', tires split, seized wheels, is literally pieced together out of the boxes it came in for the picture. It had sat outside uncovered since 1994, I got it in 2012.

Dont look too long at the big picture that the project is or you'll come to your senses and get rid of it.
Or you can take your time, write out a plan, stick to it, see it through and have your machine back as you remember it.
1b.png011212113341.jpg080612195126.jpg20190612_190907.jpg

Gloom & doom-sayers! I assume this is now back in your possession? If not, why-not? Believing that your metisse is again in your hands, take inventory of its shortcomings. Does the engine rotate? Remove the spark plugs, and use a home-made solution of acetone and ATF, and throw maybe 5ml (5cc) into each cylinder. let that sit for a couple days, and try to turn the engine over by-hand. You could put it in 5th gear, and then spin the rear wheel, until the crankshaft has gone through a few revolutions, or remove the left front engine crankshaft round cover, exposing the hex bolt, and turn the engine over with that. You removed the spark plugs, so if it's going to turn-over, it should fairly-easily.

If the engine is able to turn-over, and you didn't get water pouring-out of the spark plug holes, good-news! On to the carbs. Hopefully they aren't disassembled, parts lost, and otherwise presenting a challenge. Let's assume they are still intact. look at the service manual, and see how you split them into two pairs of two carbs, allowing you easy access to the float bowl screws. Remove the float bowls, and see what type of shape they are in. Let's hope they are dry and clean. You can go to the extent of a tear-down and a rebuild, with an ultrasonic bath and the jet blocks off, and all brass jets (three in each jet block) removed. Get them back together. Ensure that the float levels at a minimum meet the factory spec (attach.)

VMax carb float area.png
VMax FloatLevel bowl off.jpgVMax gas tank-fuel sender.jpgVMax gas sender switch.01.jpg
VMax carb pairs left and right.jpgVMax carbs disassembled for soaking.jpg

Re-mount the carbs, ensuring that the carbs are fully seated into the rubber donuts. Do you have the cables properly attached? You need a bit of slack in the push/pull cables or the throttle will not snap-shut. Consult the service manual.

I'd change the oil and filter, and then look at the gas tank.

If the tank is rusty inside, and you do NOT see shiny metal on the floor and sides, when using a flashlight in the tank, you need to remove the tank. Buster Hymen has a how-to on this, use it. However you choose to clean the gas tank, do it. Heed that something like vinegar or another acidic liquid used to clean the gas tank can dissolve your gas level sending switch! Remove it, before cleaning the gas tank, and install a flat piece of metal to form a blank-off plate. A smear of RTV sealant or permatex will allow you to not leak your cleaning agent from the fuel level sender unit holes. (14) How to remove the gas tank | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Sean Morley in this thread recommends use of vinegar to remove inner gas tank rust, but remove the fuel level sending unit first!
(14) Keep that Rust out of your Tank | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

With the bike outdoors away from any combustibles, and the gas tank reinstalled, put a gallon into the tank, and use a battery to try to start the bike. Hopefully it will restart. It will not rev-out well without the air filter in-place, and the carbs synched, and the air bleed needles set properly (the recessed brass screws at 6 o'clock below the CV carb caps). Let it warm-up, watch the water temperature needle, and let it come-up to operating temperature. You can now set the carbs to proper synchronization (service manual) and adjust the air bleed needles (pilot screw in attach.)

VMax pilot screw pkg.jpg

The cosmetic stuff is just that, though I wouldn't be surprised if the clutch and front brake master cylinders needed bleeding and after a fluid change. If the brake fluid is not clear, if it's inky/opaque, it definitely needs a complete, thorough flush. Use a Mityvac or do a reverse-flush of both (14) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) directions here for a reverse-flush of either clutch or front brake master cylinders, and the entire system. Includes directions for making your own inexpensive flushing syringe, from parts commonly-available at your local supermarket and the hardware store and auto parts store.

VMax clutch bleed.03.jpgVMax clutch bleed.01.jpgVMax clutch bleed.02 - Copy.jpg

Investigate the f & r brakes and the clutch for proper operation before any road test. Ensure that all controls operate properly, and remember that the red on/off rocker switch is there in-case of a stuck throttle or other emergency power-down need.

Then come on here, and tell us about your progress, and start cleaning up your poor neglected bike.

VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

Last edited:
I just ate and saw this.:mad: Mannnn. It's time for Swing The Bar of Soap in a sock party. Check out what I picked up yesterday. Sitting 2 years and I'm not even going to attempt to start it. Already parting it. Looks almost show-room compared to what that guy gave you back. Sorry to hear all that...:( Wish you were closer.

Attachments

• PA100005.JPG
    PA100005.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 21
Hello All

Any guidance gratefully received.....View attachment 80369View attachment 80370View attachment 80371View attachment 80372
See if you can reach this guy

http://www.bikersassociationofnorthdevon.co.uk/projects/Vmax-renovation.htm

I do not him personally but really enjoyed reading the story of the restoration.

Absolutely. I am not normally a vindictive person, but if I were to get screwed like that I don’t believe I would seriously consider legal action. Chances are, it will drag on forever and produce nothing. I would find some other means of exacting my … should I say revenge?

This is doubly true if the machine you left with him was in anyway a restorable motorcycle.

That is the natural reaction but the vast majority of people tend to be honest so there is probably reason why this happened, the mechanic was having some sort of difficulties, financial or mental or ....

Have to wonder why it took 2 years to reach this state but no matter, we cannot change what has happened.

Whilst smashing the guy in the face with a rolled up newspaper may make you feel good, it doesn't fix anything, not to mention the possibility of getting a criminal record for assault.

I would suggest best option is to make a claim via the small claims court. If you can find photographs of how it was when handed over, make an estimate for cost of replacement parts and labour. Don't get solicitors involved as it most likely would cost you since there is no guarantee the guy has the cash to pay up.

In any case you need to make list of replacement parts and cost (ebay is a good place to look for parts/prices).
Also figure out what you can do yourself and some idea of time for the work - you can post on here as whatever you will need to do, someone has already done it.

Get totals for costs and time and decide if you want to spend that much. Also you need to decide if you want a slightly rough bike, for example clean up rust on frame and spray black which may not match the rest of the frame or pristine bike where the frame is stripped down and powder coated as this affects time and cost. On the other hand you consider how much you can get for it in its current state and how much to buy a replacement.

I was going to post link to Stephan Morris restoration so anything is possible given enough time and money - the fact you are asking about whether it's beyond ecomomical repair made me think you had already given up.

Unless the bike has sentimental value or is an early 85 model, I still think getting rid and buying a replacement is the least hassle .... but dark nights and cold weather approaching means lost of time for working in the garage so restore is an option.

... forgot to add, you can buy cheap endoscope (built in LED light) ~£ 7 that attach to a mobile phone that will go through the spark plug hole or inlet ports that would allow inspection without having to strip the engine.

PS remove spark plugs before turning engine over in case the cylinders are full of water.

What a shame to trust someone and be treated like that! That tool should be shot with a ball of his own shit!
Enough said!
Hell yes it can be restored. Use it as a project bike and learn to do the work yourself, if at all possible. You are tapped into the highest concentration of Gen I VMax knowledge on the planet. Put it to use. The rewards are tremendous.

These guys are over your way and very knowledgeable also! www.vmaxchat.co.uk

My '85 bike was in a similar state many years ago. I put an advert in Loot asking if anyone was interested in helping me. A great guy contacted me, who was semi retired, and was interested in doing it. He did an amazing job stripping it down and rebuilding it after powder coating the frame etc. After I got it back I restored and replaced many parts myself, learning a lot in the process. It was satisfying and it had sentimental value being my first, and last as it turns out, bike.

I only see surface rust in the picture, all Vmaxes from that period will have the aluminium corrosion. The engine - can't comment really.

It would be cheaper to buy another one of course. But that's someone else's bike !

Good luck with it !

Damien

Hello All

Well that's gonna take a lot of TLC.
I know a guy in South Yorks with a heap of Vmax experience that might be interested. Might stop him trying to buy mine all the time.
Are you anywhere near S.Yorks?

Back