Is it me or is it a design flaw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I have owned 7 VMAX'S in my life and the first 6 I kept for the most part stock and always had my bikes worked on at the local dealer. Every VMAX I have had even this new one has or had little scratchs on both scoops where the fake tank cover snaps into the rubber studs. There has always been a sharp point on each side of the tank cover on the bottom and every time I would have work done on them I would have new scratchs..

You'd think Yamaha would have corrected this long ago and you'd also think mechanics would be smart enough to know this problem and do something to prevent it. When I remove the fake tank I have t patches of 1/8" rubber pads I put on the scoops to protect them..

has anyone else noticed this?

I have owned 7 VMAX'S in my life and the first 6 I kept for the most part stock and always had my bikes worked on at the local dealer. Every VMAX I have had even this new one has or had little scratchs on both scoops where the fake tank cover snaps into the rubber studs. There has always been a sharp point on each side of the tank cover on the bottom and every time I would have work done on them I would have new scratchs..

You'd think Yamaha would have corrected this long ago and you'd also think mechanics would be smart enough to know this problem and do something to prevent it. When I remove the fake tank I have t patches of 1/8" rubber pads I put on the scoops to protect them..

has anyone else noticed this?

Absolutely!! It's real irritating, you keep your bike spotless then something like that happens.

One of the several reasons I do my own work now.

The rubber patches are a good idea, I was thinking of some sort of clear vinyl peices also, like chip guard or something similar.

YEP! My left one had them... It's going to be replaced in the next week or so which will probably eliminate them... lol I am VERY careful when I put the cover on and they haven't gotten any worse since I bought it.

Chris

I've also been very careful when I do any work on my bikes but I have to have dealer mechanics do most the work and on every VMAX I have owned ( 7 now ) when the bike comes back there are scratches, so the mechanics are not careful. I think it's because they don't see that many VMAX'S and don't remember the tank shape points.

I should get my jet kit from Sean today and it will be installed Weds. I am removing the scoops......lol before bringiing it in.

Ron

I would if I was qualified but I'm only qualified to ride them.........lol

Dealer mechanics... Isn't that an oxymoron? It's not that they don't remember where the sharp points are on the cover, it's just that it's not their bike & they don't care as long as they still get a paycheck

Unfortunately most bike mechanics that work for dealers dont get paid squat! That then leads to the "I dont give a shit" syndrome. And that is exactly why mine will never see anyone but me turn a wrench on it.

Latest posts

Back