Is my vboost controller fried?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpclynch

Reaction score
Here's another vboost question...
My problem is similar to the following threads but I'm certain it's my controller that's gone
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6915
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9571

When I turn on the ignition my servo goes through it's startup cycle as usual. When I start the engine it flicks the servo just a bit and when I hit the stop switch it will do the same. Always did this, probably some reset routine the controller does

My problem is the vboost won't open over 6k, I've checked everything! I even put a tach on the gray wire into the controller and it is getting correct pulses.

There is one new thing I'm noticing though, when I go above 1.5k the controller flicks the servo just like when I start/stop the engine! Then doing the same when the revs return to idle... :ummm:

Is my box freaking out and "turning off" when I rev the engine?

You may need to open the box and resolder a few of the connections. You can sometimes flex the box in your hands while you turn on the bike to get it to work.

Sean

You may need to open the box and resolder a few of the connections. You can sometimes flex the box in your hands while you turn on the bike to get it to work.

Sean

Not sure if I can flex the box at 6k :biglaugh:, but I might try resoildering it, it's doing nothing now so I've nothing to loose.

Any idea on the best way to shift that resin?

Sean

Same here.....my first bike, the '86, did the same thing. Could make the controller move by flexing the PCB assy.

I'm having the same problem - since swapping my wiring harness the Vboost cycles normally on switch on, but does not open at 6k. I refitted the Tboost too, and the valves wont open in any of the Tboost switch's positions. I noticed that the Vboost looks like it wants to move when the motor reaches about 9000 rpm, but of course I don't wanna get up there to often..
Guess I'm gonna have to play with that controller box too :-/

Took out the controller last night and started work.
Getting off the resin wasn't too difficult, I cut around the outside like taking the crust off a slice of bread and then it pealed off easily enough
P1060972.jpg

There was a bit of crusty circuit that stuck to the resin as I pulled at it
P1060976.jpg

It took a bit of time but I re-soildered EVERY connection and bridged that broken path
P1060980.jpg

Unfortunatly... still the same problem. :bang head:
Luckily I was in contact with [email protected] and he'll be sending me one of his Vboost controllers with adjustable increments :clapping:

man NG i thought u knew abou tthose? if my vboost fried i'd probably use it. set vboost to open at 1500 rpms. i don't think the vmax likes idling with the assemblies open.

Nah I didn't know about these guys. I have my and a spare Vboost controllers, both cycle on switch on but the valves won't open at 6k. I'm thinking it may actually be corroded connectors in both the circular and rectangular connectors - maybe that soda blasting could help :ummm:

just drop your mains one and leave vboost open all the time!

i'd love to set mine at 1500-2k. that'd be perfect. if mine ever fries def gonna pick one up!

Back