Is the "Furber" fix really worth it??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Dude...it's $5 shipped stateside...all the other knockoffs sell them for $10 plus.

Go to his site.
And yes...if you pick up or buy anything else you get it for $3.

i just looked at my paypal transaction. you're right. i stand corrected. i wasted 5 bucks. i feel halfway better now:rofl_200:...."original" or knockoff--in either case it's a sham in my opinion. and you diehard fans, don't misunderstand this post as a judgement on you. it's just my opinion. if it works, it works. it just doesn't work for me in principle nor does it in practice.

When I bought my 94 last summer it still had the Dunlops on it and the forks were blowing oil all over the place but no wobbles, I rebuilt the forks from the info on this site (didn't watch the video till after I was done :bang head:) with progressive springs and heavier oil and put a set of Shinko's on it and when I got it out I had the 40mph wobble everyone was talking about. I figured it was the Shinko but wasn't sure, high speed it was fine but at 40 she was scary! Then I found Sean's video about adjusting the head bearings and I realized when I put the forks back on after rebuilding them I tightened them down in the wrong order so there must have been some preload in there. I went ahead and adjusted the head bearing but it wasn't that loose, but this time I torqued things down the right way and now it's smooth sailing. I'd advise watching the video and follow it to the letter and if the bearings aren't shot you will probably be fine assuming your front tire is good.

I suspect people who had the furbur fix "work" for them noticed an improvement because they also inadvertently adjusted the head bearings at the same time. When you think about it, what is a washer between the two jam nuts going to do? Absolutely nothing.

My case of the high speed (100+) wobbles was finally solved by new head bearings. You can try all sorts of stuff to cover it up and mask the problem, but odds are that's your culprit. I'd tried fiddling with tension both ways(looser made it worse, a bit tighter than the bounce test was a slight improvement, a lot tighter created a low speed weave), adjusting tire pressure, new tires, ect. Nothing made a solid difference. New bearings, new fluid, and a 1" internal drop finally cured it.

I suspect people who had the furbur fix "work" for them noticed an improvement because they also inadvertently adjusted the head bearings at the same time. When you think about it, what is a washer between the two jam nuts going to do? Absolutely nothing.

My case of the high speed (100+) wobbles was finally solved by new head bearings. You can try all sorts of stuff to cover it up and mask the problem, but odds are that's your culprit. I'd tried fiddling with tension both ways(looser made it worse, a bit tighter than the bounce test was a slight improvement, a lot tighter created a low speed weave), adjusting tire pressure, new tires, ect. Nothing made a solid difference. New bearings, new fluid, and a 1" internal drop finally cured it.

+ 1 RA , the bike did not come from the factory with the wobbles & weaves or everybody would have known it in '85 . Standard maintenance from a qualified tech or one who reads the manual , and follows the procedure , probably would not ever need the fix .

i just looked at my paypal transaction. you're right. i stand corrected. i wasted 5 bucks. i feel halfway better now:rofl_200:...."original" or knockoff--in either case it's a sham in my opinion. and you diehard fans, don't misunderstand this post as a judgement on you. it's just my opinion. if it works, it works. it just doesn't work for me in principle nor does it in practice.

I am not a diehard fan...I do agree, that it may not make a difference, but I used it on my stock '85 forks and it made a difference for 1 month....I then went the progressive route -1, UFO brace, and just left the washer in there just because at the time I never had the factory one to put in.

I know if I switched it out now there would be no probs.

Greetings, all. Has anyone here done the "Furber" fix?? I am sooooo tired of my front end shaking and wobbling all over the place with every bump in the road... and cornering really sucks too.. Any help??
I read many of the replies here,…
& quite frankly, many of them range from uninformed to outright ludicrous.

The FACT is that the ‘Fix’ (done PROPERLY) WORKS, & works WELL.

It’s MUCH simpler than most of the other suggestions posted here, & again, more effective (DONE PROPERLY)

PS. The washer…has NOTHING to do with correcting the headshake.
PERIOD.
(One more way to identify those who have no idea what they’re taking about…!!!)

Anyone who wants to improve the feel & stability of their VMAX front end, & eliminate the steering headshake can ignore the naysayers & ‘keyboard pilots’, & contact me directly, & get it DONE…RIGHT.

Only thing I ask, is that once we get your VMAX ‘Fixed’,… Please come back here & set the record straight…& DONE.

Thanks for listening.

Ride On!

John Furbur
610-509-VMAX (8629)

You should probably have looked at the instructions when you got your fix washer…

IF you did,…
you wouldn’t be seeing the ridiculous things that you are here.

Read the instructions carefully

do the fix properly

then come back here and apologize because you didn’t do those things in the first place…!!!

I’m just sick of people talking about how the fix doesn’t work and they either didn’t do it or they just stuck the washer in there and expected it to be the magic bullet…?!?!?!?

get a grip, & a CLUE

This applies to every one of you who dismisses this WITHOUT bothering to get the FACTS…!!!

At this point if you want to take the time to come here to the shop or send someone local to our shop in Pennsylvania
I would be happy to do the ‘Fix’ PROPERLY, for FREE…!!!
(It’s first & foremost a safety issue…Seen way too many wrecked VMAXs that showed CLEAR signs of headshake being a factor in the accident…!)
The ONLY thing I would ask is that you take the time to share the results here, & everywhere the naysayers have spouted their ignorance…!!!

Thanks in advance!

Yeah I got some head shake... I don't dare go more than 75 mph which is still pretty slow on the SoCal freeways but that's the threshold for my head shake so I stay below it.... I bought my Vmax non running condition after it had been sitting out for about 5 years. I adjusted the bearing tightness slightly and it's a little better but I also have a leaky right fork seal and probably need a new front tire soon and I'm sure both of those things are contributing to the issue.
I probably need to take the whole front end off, replace the front tire, upgrade the brakes, replace the fork seals, and polish all the aluminum at the same time!

I don't know much about the washer fix but I'm interested..

Yeah I got some head shake... I don't dare go more than 75 mph which is still pretty slow on the SoCal freeways but that's the threshold for my head shake so I stay below it.... I bought my Vmax non running condition after it had been sitting out for about 5 years. I adjusted the bearing tightness slightly and it's a little better but I also have a leaky right fork seal and probably need a new front tire soon and I'm sure both of those things are contributing to the issue.
I probably need to take the whole front end off, replace the front tire, upgrade the brakes, replace the fork seals, and polish all the aluminum at the same time!

I don't know much about the washer fix but I'm interested..
Don't forget about the swingarm bearings and torque. 75mph for a Vmax is nothing. If you get the front sorted, don't forget the rear. And good tires of course. You'll never worry about 75mph again. Something radically wrong if you feel loss of control at a bit more than that speed.

Sniffbooger said, 'I don't dare go more than 75 mph which is still pretty slow on the SoCal freeways but that's the threshold for my head shake... .' That sounds like a thrown wheel-balancing weight, or a bent wheel.

Back