Is there a write up on how to remove the springs from front forks????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EN-V-MAX

Reaction score
I am thinking about lowering the front of my bike. I was thinking about just removing the springs and cutting a couple inches off. If I ruin them then oh well, I will just buy a set of progressive lowering springs, so I will have nothing to lose if I screw it up. I really dont know squat about forks though... Anyne have any comments or info?...

He also has a re assembly video, if you're looking to put progressives in. I just did mine for the very first time using his videos as my walkthrough. Basic wrenching knowledge is all that's needed

Cutting your spring is NOT the way to lower your forks.
You can use pvc pipe to make your own lowering blocks. They need to be installed on the damping rods in the forks. Forks need to be completely disassemble to do this.

I believe stores which sell tools, should be required to have customers fill out an application before purchasing to determin if they are smart in enough to use them. Tools, in the hands of halfwits could be lethal

Yeah, I realized that cutting the springs was not an option.... :bang head:

I ended up taking the lazy man route. I just slide the triple tree 2" down on the forks. Seems like that work pretty good and gave me the affect I was going for. The bike has been lowered 3" in the rear, so it needed something done in the front BAD. I have to re-bend my kick stand, but it all worked out nicely.

I ended up taking the lazy man route. I just slide the triple tree 2" down on the forks. Seems like that work pretty good and gave me the affect I was going for. The bike has been lowered 3" in the rear, so it needed something done in the front BAD. I have to re-bend my kick stand, but it all worked out nicely.

Curious on who and why the rear was lowered 3" ?

Sliding the Forks up 2" is Too much and the Fender will end up Hitting the Radiator when Braking.
I would Not move them up more that 1".
I had mine up 1" and had to go to 1/2" when I added a Radiator Cover to keep it from hiting and I have Progressive Springs which are Much tighter than Stock.

Curious on who and why the rear was lowered 3" ?

They are progressive adjustable shocks that were on the bike when I bought it. I like the low center of gravity, and the stiffer feel. Just want the front to match a little better which it does now. They may be more like 2" lowing springs in the back, I dont have another bike to compare it to to be able to tell...

Sliding the Forks up 2" is Too much and the Fender will end up Hitting the Radiator when Braking.
I would Not move them up more that 1".
I had mine up 1" and had to go to 1/2" when I added a Radiator Cover to keep it from hiting and I have Progressive Springs which are Much tighter than Stock.

Your progressive springs where prob also 2" lowering springs which would have been the same fender clearance as dropping the forks 2" like I did. My front fender has been trimmed 3/4" and even under the hardest braking does not touch the radiator and I think the radiator covers look horrible, so I dont have to worry about that.

Your progressive springs where prob also 2" lowering springs which would have been the same fender clearance as dropping the forks 2" like I did. My front fender has been trimmed 3/4" and even under the hardest braking does not touch the radiator and I think the radiator covers look horrible, so I dont have to worry about that.

Mine are Stock Length Progressive Springs. but the Rad Cover does stick out about 1/2" from the Radiator.
But as long as it doesn't hit the Radiator your fine, but with those soft Stock Springs I'd be very surprised if it doesn't hit under hard braking.

Attachments

• Skull-Flame_Rad-Scoop_Cover.jpg
    Skull-Flame_Rad-Scoop_Cover.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Rad_Scoop_Skull_RT.jpg
    Rad_Scoop_Skull_RT.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 6
They are progressive adjustable shocks that were on the bike when I bought it. I like the low center of gravity, and the stiffer feel. Just want the front to match a little better which it does now. They may be more like 2" lowing springs in the back, I dont have another bike to compare it to to be able to tell...

Just a suggestion : Try raising the rear 2" and try just a 1" fork drop and see if the bike turns , and smoothes out a bit more in the corners. ( Unless you like it where it is ) .

Mine are Stock Length Progressive Springs. but the Rad Cover does stick out about 1/2" from the Radiator.
But as long as it doesn't hit the Radiator your fine, but with those soft Stock Springs I'd be very surprised if it doesn't hit under hard braking.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a "progressive" spring is just that. "Progressive". It will be very soft at first and as the coils get tighter, it stiffens up, vs. a constant rate spring like mine. This would actually make the first amount of suspension travel on your progressive, SOFTER then my constant rate springs. That would explain why yours hit the radiator sooner...

Just a suggestion : Try raising the rear 2" and try just a 1" fork drop and see if the bike turns , and smoothes out a bit more in the corners. ( Unless you like it where it is ) .

I really like the ride height in the rear where it is, but I thought about raising it an inch or so, but I have no way to do that. The shocks I have in the rear are fully adjustable, but cannot be lengthened like a dirtbike shock. I will throw up a pic here in a minute of the profile of the bike the way it sits now... Maybe ya'll can give me an idea exactly how much it's lowered in the back....

Correct me if I am wrong, but a "progressive" spring is just that. "Progressive". It will be very soft at first and as the coils get tighter, it stiffens up, vs. a constant rate spring like mine. This would actually make the first amount of suspension travel on your progressive, SOFTER then my constant rate springs. That would explain why yours hit the radiator sooner...
The Stock Springs are Also progressive type springs, they just aren't as Thick or Stiff as the Progressive (Brand) AfterMarket Springs.
You can see the Difference between Stock Springs (labeled Old) and Progressive Brand Springs (labeled New) in the attached Picture.

Attachments

• Fork_Spring_Comparison_3.jpg
    Fork_Spring_Comparison_3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 21
The Stock Springs are Also progressive type springs, they just aren't as Thick or Stiff as the Progressive (Brand) AfterMarket Springs.
You can see the Difference between Stock Springs (labeled Old) and Progressive Brand Springs (labeled New) in the attached Picture.

Gotcha Gotcha... Why would you want stiffer front suspension? I personally like mine SOFT in front. When I brake hard I like most the weight of the bike to roll onto that front tire for better traction.....

Here are a couple pics. You can tell the ride height in the rear is far from stock. You also cannot go just off of fender/tire clearance because I am running a very low profile tire in the back so it is actually lowered more the it looks.

DSCF2370Medium.jpg

DSCF2368Medium.jpg

DSCF2367Medium.jpg

The Progressive Springs are So Much Better when running hot in the Twisties, they greatly reduce Front End Dive on Braking and on the highway they are almost no different from the stock Springs for ride smoothnes/comfort.
Also they almost completely eliminated the Handle Bar Vibration, I used to have to put my finger on my Mirror to actually see anything at highway speeds and now I don't.
I had Stock springs for years and the difference is unreal.
I read Everyone raving about them but I would never have believed the hype/difference if I hadn't final installed them myself.

PS
From those pictures it's hard to see how close the Front fender is to the Radiator but it definitely looks dangerously close.

Well just measure the fully-extended shock length, as stock is 13". That should tell you what you have. Pull one off to measure if you want the most-exact measurement.

A soft front end pogoes up & down w/changes in throttle/brake. Novices like a 'soft' front end while experienced riders usually prefer a firmer feel.

Back