Is there anything that can go on the exterior of the carb to stop gas from coming out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrimerman

Reaction score
I'm thinking no, but figured I'd ask. My carbs were cleaned last year by the previous owner, but I let it sit through the winder and I think that caused the float bowl gasket to dry a little. It leaked quite a bit then just a lil after a couple runs. I tried taking the carbs apart, but damn someone put them together with lock tight or something. I didn't want to strip out the screws. Is there anything I can just wipe on the outside edge to stop the lil bit of gas?

Re: Is there anything that can go on the exterior of the carb to stop gas from coming

If it's leaking at the bowl gasket, and the screws are tight then the gaskets probably need replaced. A hand held impact will break the screws loose or even a small set of vise grips on the screw heads will work. You can replace the phillips head screws with allen heads once they are off.

Re: Is there anything that can go on the exterior of the carb to stop gas from coming

If an old philips screw won't come off, first try with a PROPER philips screwdriver or bit of the right size. If that fails, use a dremel wheel to cut a groove in the screw head that'll fit a flat head screwdriver, then replace with allen head screws.

Or vise grips....and replace with allen heads.

The answer to your question is 'probly not', and if there was would you want your carbs all globbed up with sealant?

Need to pull the rack and remove the side brackets to adequately access the float chamber screws.

I'm in the midst of rebuilding my carbs...what worked very well for me was to use the correct size bit (as mentioned) and a small ratchet. Just find a small socket that fits the bit well and have at it. The added leverage the ratchet will give you while still exerting good down force broke all of mine loose...and they were really a mess from the PO.

As mentioned...spend the $25-30 on allen heads...just ordered the last of mine.

Thank you, those were all my plans when I got them off the last time. Someone put the bracket screws on so tight they wouldn't budge. I might need to drill those to get at the float bowl screws. They almost had a good idea. I noticed a previous person put regular bolts on a couple of them for the bracket, but didn't finish the job. I'll take it off again and try again. Maybe a buddy can help brace them.

Impact driver works great, but scares me a little as far as possibility of breaking the bodies.

I've also used a Dremel like someone said to make a nice deep slot to use a bug screwdriver.

Allen heads are the only way to go here.

And I never use lock tite on an if it. Too much problems.

I've had mine apart dozens and dozens of times and have never needed to replace a bowl gasket (they're actually rubber "shaped" I rings)..... Or any gasket for that matter except the jet block gasket cause I accidentally ripped it.

Might also check the bowl drain screw valve to make sure that aint it.

If an old philips screw won't come off, first try with a PROPER philips screwdriver or bit of the right size. If that fails, use a dremel wheel to cut a groove in the screw head that'll fit a flat head screwdriver, then replace with allen head screws.

This would probably be an instance where a JIS (japanese industry standard) screw driver would work, they fit tighter than a phillips.

I have ton of screwdriver heads so one will fit. My neighbor is a mechanic and says he has everything so he might have an impact driver. I imagine it is air powered and he says he has an air compressor. I do like the idea of dremeling a nice big slot for a big flathead. I have a big one:punk:

The reason why I mentioned the JIS screw drivers is that they a "fatter thru the X" than a phillips so your less likly to strip out a phillips head. I recently bought some, and could immediately tell the difference. Check with your friend...he might have some.

Here is a good article that discuss them in depth.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/jis-screwdrivers/

The impact drivers we are speaking if will do what an air impact won't.

Its a special hand held tool that you smack with a hammer and it slightly rotates whatever tool tip you put in it.

The reason they work so well in this application is that the hammer blow provides the force to hold it down in the screw slots at the exact moment its needed, when its trying to jump out and slip.

Best way to use them is put downward force on them by hand, rotate slightly in the direction you want to go, which "pre loads it" and then smack it with a hammer.
You want your carb body laying on something soft but sturdy, I usually just pinch it between my legs while sitting down. I get bruises but no broken parts. Some of the screw tabs stick out from the body and potentially could break off if you don't finesse this.

The tool has a setting on it to make it go either CW or CCW when you smack it.
They are also invaluable for getting the rotor screws out since those are equally shitty metal that strips the head out easily.

They're a marvelous tool.

Harbor Freight has a small impact driver that is perfect for small items. I have a large one and the HF small one is MUCH less likely to break any part of the carb body. I have used it on 4 sets of Max carbs I have rebuilt. It is cheap also.

For screwdrivers, I take a standard phillips and grind the tip a little at a time, checking the fit as I go until it fits the screw perfectly. Much easier and cheaper than finding and buying Japanese standard screwdrivers.

The impact drivers we are speaking if will do what an air impact won't.

Its a special hand held tool that you smack with a hammer and it slightly rotates whatever tool tip you put in it.

The reason they work so well in this application is that the hammer blow provides the force to hold it down in the screw slots at the exact moment its needed, when its trying to jump out and slip.

Best way to use them is put downward force on them by hand, rotate slightly in the direction you want to go, which "pre loads it" and then smack it with a hammer.
You want your carb body laying on something soft but sturdy, I usually just pinch it between my legs while sitting down. I get bruises but no broken parts. Some of the screw tabs stick out from the body and potentially could break off if you don't finesse this.

The tool has a setting on it to make it go either CW or CCW when you smack it.
They are also invaluable for getting the rotor screws out since those are equally shitty metal that strips the head out easily.

They're a marvelous tool.

+1, I invested in one when splitting the engine case. they're great for shifting any stubborn screws & bolts that you really don't want to strip

Slide5.PNG

I use the hand impact after heating around the thread bosses with a little butane touch,(not too hot) this makes it possible to lighten the hammer blows. Carbs. that have been sitting around for a few years are a pain in the ass to get apart sometimes.
Steve-o

Back