Is this a good deal or is something wrong?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chicken Man

Reaction score
I need some help and advice from the 2nd gen community here.

I am currently a 1st gen owner, I ride my first gen all the time and I love it a lot! So naturally I have always kept an eye on 2nd gen market with the dream that I may one day find one I could afford. Then, just the other day I came across this listing for a 2009 Vmax.

1626873703430.png
1626873689096.png

To me this seems like a pretty good price. KBB says the average sale price for a bike like this is around $10,500. Most of the other listings I've seen are between $10,000-$13,000.

But I also see a couple potential red flags too. The most obvious is the sellers rating of only 3.5 stars. I've used Facebook Marketplace quite a bit and I feel like I seldom see people with less than 5 stars, which makes me think this particular person may not be a reliable seller. But idk I could be wrong. Also, Paul, if you're on here and you see this.... hi. The other red flags to me are the new tires and brakes. If I were to buy this bike I'd be happy to have new tire and breaks, but this seems like pretty low mileage to need new tires and brakes. Being a 2009 I could understand replacing the tires due to age, I could even understand having to replace just the back one as a result of having a little too much fun. But I can't really understand why the bike would need new brakes after less than 6,000 miles.

But the thing is I don't know 2nd gens all that well. That's why I'm posting here. Just looking for some advice from some 2nd gen owners. I are your thoughts on this bike? What are your thoughts on 2nd gen in general? And what are somethings to look out for when buying one?

Also if you've owned both gens, who do they compare and or is it worth the upgrade to a 2nd gen? Cause I'd probably have to sell my 1st gen to buy a 2nd gen.

Well, I paid 9900 for my 2009 from a dealer last year. If the guy is local, no harm in actually going to see the bike. Make a deal out from there. As it is a 2009, ask for proof of the oil pump recall and the throttle body wiring harness recall.

As for one over the other....what I noticed is the Gen 1 gets more people talking because of the iconic look of the bike. Not a whole lot of people come up and ask what type of bike the Gen 2 is. Now the Gen 2.....faaaaaaaaaaar superior machine compared to the Gen 1 in terms of power, handling, an so on. For me, when I look for bikes, I prefer the big 3 things....liquid cooled, shaft drive, and fuel injected. If its not gonna have all 3 of those, I require at least 2 of the 3. The Gen 2 is crankier when starting compared to the Gen 1. The Gen 2 does not have a center stand. No self cancelling turns either, which are my 2 biggest gripes about the Gen 2. In short, I have a 2007 and 2009. As I eloquently put it, last of first gen, first of the last gen.

The recall info being serviced on that bike, should be in the Yamaha dealer's accessible data by VIN I suspect. The price sounds like someone wanting to make a sale, and not sit on something for too-long. Take a look at it. Ask the dealer to look at it if you aren't sure of the condition of it. That may be the best $ you spend, if they find something faulty of consequence.

Good deal if bike checks out, as was said above very few known issues with the 2nd gen. I would jump on it if I didn't already have one. I sold my 07 to get my 16. You will not regret it. They just took the 1st gen and fixed the issues and just added more vmax to it.

I have been very pleased with my 2017. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 bikes are totally different in all aspects ; the Gen 2 agreeably a far more superior machine right out of the box. I have a little over 10K miles on mine and am preparing to put on the third set of tires. As far as the brakes go, I still am riding in the originals and they are approximately 3/4 worn on the front. I would certainly have to see that the front wheel spins freely when off the ground. I have seen brakes binding against the rotors when the install was way over tight and not torqued to specs. Good luck and I hope it works out.

I wouldn't agree on new tires being a red flag...not on a gen 2. Brakes? It could be he replaced for reasons other than wear...better feel, higher initial bite, etc. Could even be a dealership told him they needed replacing.

That's very cheap.

Sounds like you wouldn't be so wary if selling price was $3,000 more LOL... but as they say, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.

If local, take a look, ask about the brakes, tyres etc.

Thank you so much for all the advice everyone! I'm gonna send them a message and ask some questions based on the responses so far.

The bike is a little under 4 hours away from me. So close enough to go buy if it all checks out, but a little far away to casually stop by and check it out. If it was closer though I'd be going down to take a look at it right now.

Latest posts

Back