Is this an early max or a venture motor ??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the engine...but the yics on the clutch cover is the "Yamaha induction control system". It basically added another chamber into the heads....and was used for emissions. It was used from 81 thru 86.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

All looks venture. At least heads and covers are so I would expect the rest to be

Any internals worth having ie gearbox ratios etc ?
Its dirt cheap but only worth it if I can nake use of it.

Attachments

• ad_1449350940704-1.jpg
    ad_1449350940704-1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 37
Well it depends if its 1200 or 1300 CC's. The early venture motors that were 1200CC's will NOT interchange with the Vmax, its only the 1300 ones.

Venture, and yes it has parts you can use, compare the fiche #'s and I am sure Sean can confirm what's good. YICS was like the Honda Civic CVCC which greatly reduced emissions by having a pre-chamber for ignition. Honda built a small-block 350 cyl head pair and installed them on a new Impala using the technology which proved that the concept could be scaled-up. However, industry technology advanced beyond the CVCC and it was never used in production for GM gas engines.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...issions-and-a-cvcc-equipped-chevrolet-impala/

http://jalopnik.com/when-honda-gave-gm-one-of-historys-most-amazing-smackdo-1576732771

Early Venture. Not worth much unless you need good cases to put ALL your vmax parts on (and in).

Sean, I believe the crankshaft will work, yes? But the VMax rods are better, especially the newer ones ca. 2001.

The crank and even rods/pistons would work but not ideal on the latter. The rods are heavier and the pistons have lower compression. The heads are crap and the cams are tiny. BUT, as I said, if you have a spun bearing and need a good set of cases to use for building up then this would work. Hone it, new rings with your pistons/rods and vmax heads/cams then you'd be in good shape again.

I might grab it if i can get it cheap enough..they dont come up often in Oz.
Just stick it under bench for a rainy day

I bought one like that from a guy who worked at Jack Roush Racing. He rescued it from the scrap pile, he had a Venture and they had bought the engine to disassemble it to see how Yamaha had engineered it. They had a contract to develop a prototype V-twin engine, and were looking at 'best practices' among other manufacturers. When they were done, it was going to the recycle bin but it was offered to him, I heard about him having it and picked it up when he decided he could use the $ better than the spare parts. And like Sean said, I've got it to swap a bad-rod VMax engine's parts to.

Latest posts

Back