Is this normal low time stator color?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
Hi all, the PO said that he replaced the stator with a new one about a year before he stopped driving it on my 85 barnfind. Here's what it looks like. Is this discoloration normal for one that is relativity new? What would cause the load that would cause enough heat to discolor the coils like this in one spot?

IMAG1506.jpg

Looks like a bad phase to me? What does it test like or even charge output?

Was charging fine I think. I removed the cover to fix oil leak which seems to be coming thru the harness. I will check the stator with a meter before buttoning it up.

Put the cover back on and forget about it.. I think the coils get hot during use, and the engine oil is hot too . Combination of these probably discolored the epoxy.. Maybe it was a bit thinner on these parts of the stator. My old stator out of the roadstar had some coils almost black, but the burned wires were going into coils that didn't look discolored at all.

Make sure all three fazes are working the same. An OHM meter should tell the tale. Good to do before putting it back together.

Coils checked out fine, I'm putting it back together soon as the fresh paint on the cover dries.

Back