Is this possible?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chicken Man

Reaction score
Has anybody else on here seen this before?

Esper Vmax Turbo (geocities.ws)

1626886464668.png1626886490152.png1626886532033.png1626887896623.png

http://www.geocities.ws/MotorCity/Speedway/2476/esper.htm
This a very brief article that describes a gen 1 Vmax making 250 rwhp with a turbo setup running about (11.4psi) using a stock engine.

I've read that to run superchargers setups at high pressures (~20 psi) engines usually have to be built to some extend (pistons, rods, etc.). As far as what power supercharges make I've heard different numbers ranging from 170-240 rwhp.

But this website seems to suggest that with a turbo they can get away with 250 rwhp running stock internals and factory carbs with just a little rejetting.

Now if that's the case I'm about to start welding up some custom up pipes right now, but I'm skeptical. I like to trust strangers on the internet, but from everything I've read before that just seems like a lot to ask of a stock engine. But I also haven't been able to find a ton of info about turbo charged 1st gens either.

What do y'all think? Is this possible? Or would my bike blow up after on pull on the highway?

Correct me if I'm wrong on any information here too.

Attachments

• 1626886510350.png
    1626886510350.png
    656 KB · Views: 22
  • 1626887229612.png
    1626887229612.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 21
You build heat, you better be able to shed it.

You need additional fuel, do it incorrectly, run lean, overheat the engine, BANG!

10 reasons, it is a dumb idea:
needs different pistons
heads
con.rods
crank
oil pump
radiator
water pump
air filter
transmission
dr. shaft
differential (whater it is called)
rims
tires
carbs

Turbos and super chargers on stock motors are fine to a certain point. I can't see much more than 175 hp on a stock motor. My buddy here in town has a built 1500 cc running 20lbs of boost and I would lay money it won't make over 255 .

Attachments

• 37194.jpeg
    37194.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 37196.jpeg
    37196.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 37195.jpeg
    37195.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 33893.jpeg
    33893.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 43
Thank you everyone for the responses and input!

I'm gonna just add a little fuel to the fire here and though in a link to this other article I came across today as well.

Yamaha V-Max Turbo Kit (rbracing-rsr.com)

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/vmaxturbo.htm
This one talks about an old turbo kit this company made for Vmax's back in the 80's. The author seems to be a bit salty towards the Vmax now but definitely an interesting read nevertheless. Clicking on the photos provides a little extra info too.

This article claims 255 hp at 15 psi, with the possibility of making over 300 hp. At 250 hp they claim a bike to be a "9 second machine" and get 40 mpg.

The article includes a list of parts that were included in the kit but never once mentions or suggests the necessity of building the bottom end. But that's probably implied

Now I ain't dumb. I personally think there ain't a shot in hell a stock 1200 is holding up to 300hp, I know that. 175 sound like a solid bet to me. But all this makes me wonder what the limit is for one of these engines to run reliably?

On another note, my engine is in need of a repaint too. So if you got any tips for that lmk.

10 reasons, it is a dumb idea:
needs different pistons - Wrong
heads - Wrong
con.rods - Wrong
crank - Wrong
oil pump - Wrong
radiator - Wrong
water pump - Wrong
air filter - In some cases.
transmission - Wrong
dr. shaft - Wrong
differential (whater it is called) - Wrong
rims - Wrong
tires - Wrong
carbs - In the case of the supercharger, yes. It comes with the kit.

all that stuff added for more power may add excitement but it also adds ugliness
I've always thought the same.

The biggest thing for me is that the Vmax has plenty of power right off the showroom floor. Why anybody other than a drag racer would want to add more is beyond me.

I mean where, other than the aforementioned drag strip, are you ever going to use it?

Turbos and super chargers on stock motors are fine to a certain point. I can't see much more than 175 hp on a stock motor. My buddy here in town has a built 1500 cc running 20lbs of boost and I would lay money it won't make over 255 .

That's one of the better looking turbo installs I've seen. The cooler fits well within the bike.

Latest posts

Back