Is this possible?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I heard about people having to do that. I only had to keep it down a day & could only sleep on my right side for a week . I would have had to borrow a massage table from my back being broke the 3 times & my messed up disc in my neck the one day almost killed me.
Ouch....

No I heard about people having to do that. I only had to keep it down a day & could only sleep on my right side for a week . I would have had to borrow a massage table from my back being broke the 3 times & my messed up disc in my neck the one day almost killed me.
Sounds like you have the same doctor I do. Gentleman name of Frankenstein.

Speaking of painting engines: Now that I got my Max almost perfect mechanically (tires tomorrow) I need to work on cosmetics. Any tips on cleaning/painting engine parts without removing the engine? I'm not about to tear it apart now...I'm about to ride the heck out of it!!!! Attached is a not so great pic but I think you'll get the idea (paint worn off, corroded paint, the front brake master cylinder looks terrible, corroded polished aluminum including the scoops etc.)

View attachment 78462
Try this stuff. You'll be happy. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WK111...abc_9FTKYAZPM3RZQQ8BHZZY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The S100 spray cleaner is like some magic potion/cleanser. You spray it on, and the crud flows right off. It's very impressive and a labor-saver.

You've got the old gloss paint. That's a tough row to hoe. Pulling it, blasting it and repainting it is really the only way to go because you're never going to match that old gloss black by spot shooting it. I'd leave it be until you're ready to bite the bullet and go all in.

Pretty much anything you do is going to be mismatched and look bad.

I had what I consider to be pretty decent results with the engine in the frame. But I took my time. I cleaned it deeply, I masked it off carefully, and I used the Eastwood product. The bike was in decent shape, but the heads had paint worn almost down to aluminum, there were ugly boot wear spots on the cases as well as quite a few areas of flaking on the block. Hopefully, it will last for a while.

605E8E69-2966-496F-AD6B-9A78199F2D8F.jpeg

desert_max, from what I see, your results are very-good. I'm thinking of doing a VMax in argent/silver, which would draw the eye more-to the engine.

I also have the cyl accent plates like you do, the ones which extend down from the cyl heads. I got 'em from Boxenstopp in Daytona Beach during Bike Week. Boxenstopp was Joe Rausch's VMax business and was the center of the VMax guys during Bike Week. The accent plates emphasize the V-4 layout of the engine, and have been known to scare the bejezzus out of Eliminator and V-65 rivals. Maduras tremble with fear and slink-away.

Some fun reviews:
Japanese Muscle: Yamaha Vmax used review | Visordown U.K. view, exactrep, PDQ are mentioned. The dealership where the used VMax was sourced for a "20 years-on review" said, "the three most popular second-hand bikes I sell are Hyabusa, R6 and the VMax. If I could get ten new VMax bikes in, I'd sell 'em all by next week. They have a huge cult following"

Motorcycle Road Test: Yamaha V-Max | Motorcycle Cruiser " Motorcycling's answer to the Titan IV, Yamaha's V-Max is showing its age, but no other motorcycle delivers the same satisfying kick in the pants." (Motorcycle Cruiser, 1999)

Turbos and super chargers on stock motors are fine to a certain point. I can't see much more than 175 hp on a stock motor. My buddy here in town has a built 1500 cc running 20lbs of boost and I would lay money it won't make over 255 .

That has got to be one of the tastiest looking Vmaxxes ive ever seen. Very nicely done. Everything looks right, and nothing looks "over the top".

Even has factory "type" taillight.. But damn if it doesn't look 100 times better being "clear lense". (though, it's probably the rest of the bike looks so good, it can get away with almost anything..
Factory taillight might be the ONLY thing I'd change. Who am I kidding tho, really. Whats that a $35K bike? Wild guess based on nothing.
🤔

T$

Last edited:
The S100 spray cleaner is like some magic potion/cleanser. You spray it on, and the crud flows right off. It's very impressive and a labor-saver.
Have you used S100 on a gen 2 bike or only gen 1's? I had disastrous results with the finish on the engine of my brand new gen 2 back in 09. Haven't touched the stuff since. Used to use it on all of my bikes, but the harm it done to my 09 put a stop to that.

Have you used S100 on a gen 2 bike or only gen 1's? I had disastrous results with the finish on the engine of my brand new gen 2 back in 09. Haven't touched the stuff since. Used to use it on all of my bikes, but the harm it done to my 09 put a stop to that.
I don't own a Gen II, so, no.

Back