Issues after flash.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've kind of gotten used to the long crank time to start. It used to really bother me until I heard all of them do it.

What sucks is if you stall it and you're bearly rolling it feels like it takes FOREVER to start.

Eric, did you ever solve the hesitation issue? I don't have any backfiring but there is a noticeable hesitation as I go gently from no throttle to a little throttle. Its super annoying.

Eric, did you ever solve the hesitation issue? I don't have any backfiring but there is a noticeable hesitation as I go gently from no throttle to a little throttle. Its super annoying.
I did not, I gave up.. not happy about that ..
Please let me know what yoh have tried/ if you fix it ...

You dont have to remove nothing else but the rubber plugs from where the meters hoses goes. So four plugs, easy with long tip pliers. plenty of room, 15 min job including warm up etc.
can you get into a little more detail on this 15 min. job, what rubber plugs you talking about you mean the coils and how in the heck can you get the plugs out with long tip pliers i can't ever barely lift the front left coil from the plug never mind unscrewing it off............

can you get into a little more detail on this 15 min. job, what rubber plugs you talking about you mean the coils and how in the heck can you get the plugs out with long tip pliers i can't ever barely lift the front left coil from the plug never mind unscrewing it off............

He's not talking about spark plugs...that is DEFINITELY not a 15 min job

Yea my mistake, I thought you were still syncing the throttle bodies :D I left spark plugs for my mechanic, even he said it was interesting and very enjoyable job (sarcasm alert). For the coils, you could try compressed air to drain hole on side of each cylinder? That might pop them off or at least help a little.

It’s funny seeing people complain about soft light throttle response. I actually sent my ECU back to Tim to have him dial back the throttle response even more, and then I switched to an even softer throttle cam. I’d actually like it even a little softer.. when cruising along at 4000+ RPM on the interstate, when I hit a bump and my hand twitches slightly, the bike will lurch. Tim even showed me the throttle response chart (throttle input vs actual throttle activation) and it’s pretty soft.

I wouldn't describe it as a light throttle response, which is essentially slower but forward moving throttle. This is "a bit of lag and flat feeling in my throttle . This is only under slight throttle opening or if I am just holding it open at a modest level". Its literally a dead spot like a stumble, which causes me to grab more throttle and too abruptly accelerate out of it. If it was just a slower but positive response on the throttle, it wouldn't be so bad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't describe it as a light throttle response, which is essentially slower but forward moving throttle. This is "a bit of lag and flat feeling in my throttle . This is only under slight throttle opening or if I am just holding it open at a modest level". Its literally a dead spot like a stumble, which causes me to grab more throttle and too abruptly accelerate out of it. If it was just a slower but positive response on the throttle, it wouldn't be so bad.

You haven't reflashed the ecu, right? This is exactly how my current vmax operates...my previous vmax did the same thing prior to reflashing.

I have this too, and it drives me crazy ....
AFTER THE FLASH

Yeah, it happened after the flash for me as well :(. I am not sure if its related to the fact I'm using a flash that was built for a different exhaust or some similar thing. I got the 4 into 2 UFO with MAB Ver 2 flash and I'm running dual Delkavik cans for instance. Either way, its annoying but I can compensate - just would be nice and safer if the dead spot was gone.

Yeah, it happened after the flash for me as well :(. I am not sure if its related to the fact I'm using a flash that was built for a different exhaust or some similar thing. I got the 4 into 2 UFO with MAB Ver 2 flash and I'm running dual Delkavik cans for instance. Either way, its annoying but I can compensate - just would be nice and safer if the dead spot was gone.

I don't think it makes any difference if you have the same mid-pipe.

Yah.... same story. Nash flash , ufo 4,2... and airbox.....
I have a dead spot/ a little stumble.... aswell I can feel it changing from one map to the other at about 20% throttle.
Someone save meeeeee !!!!! Its my only unanswered question :)

The lag or flat spot in the throttle got much less for me after I got my ECU flashed. Hardly noticeable after the flash.

Eric Levitz & Deathpulse, are you guys saying the lag is just as bad after the reflash as before, ie, not even a slight improvement?

Yeah, I got that. I was just stating that my lag got better after the flash. It was pretty annoying beforehand.

I don't think they saw any improvement, by what they've stated here.

I've read where Tim says most people are content with the reflashes he supplies but there are always further improvements that can be done with power commanders...I'm wondering if that will cure what ails you.

OH NO! The reflash totally helped with rev limiter, power etc etc etc. Its just has this nasty flat spot off idle with low throttle input. I've been thinking about (more like dreaming about) taking the bike down to Nash's shop to get it on the dyno and see if it can be tuned out but too much going on ATM. Bottom line - the flash is AWESOME - I hope nobody is taking it as I don't like the flash.

Back