It happened...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kratzenberg

Reaction score
Took a ride today and toward the end i got on the throttle pretty hard like i normally do. hit 2nd gear and it popped out on me :bang head:
So i let up on the throttle and up shifted a few gears, and everything else seems fine.

So my question is:
Now that it happened once, will it happen all the time?
Am i safe riding without breaking down?

Took a ride today and toward the end i got on the throttle pretty hard like i normally do. hit 2nd gear and it popped out on me :bang head:
So i let up on the throttle and up shifted a few gears, and everything else seems fine.

So my question is:
Now that it happened once, will it happen all the time?
Am i safe riding without breaking down?

bill, is it possible that it wasn't a fully positive shift?

Bill, make sure shifter is in spec for adjustment first. I raised mine a mm and it hasn't jumped since. It was slightly out of spec and too low.

If it goes like mine Bill it will be a while. I had my first instance of it popping out of gear fall of '08, adjusted my shift lever and It was good to go until June/ July of '09. I did a 1100 mile trip in 3 days last June and didn't have any problems but most of that was in higher gears. It wasn't until late in the fall of '09 that I was having consistent problems.
I have no idea if this is typical. I would follow Mark's suggestion and if still having problems you may possibly want to check your shift segment.

Bill, make sure shifter is in spec for adjustment first. I raised mine a mm and it hasn't jumped since. It was slightly out of spec and too low.

Can you explain this in more detail or link me to some info please.

Well Bill, from where I'm sitting, this looks like the perfect excuse to get started on the new motor you've been thinking about. :biglaugh:

i bet you'd be fine as brian said just making sure the linkage is OK then doing it over next winter.

Can you explain this in more detail or link me to some info please.

Rebar, measure length of the shift pedal rod. It should be 30-34 mm. If not, raise or lower as needed.

i had no idea there was a 'spec'. thought it was just whatever is comfortable. good to know mark. i'm gonna take a look at mine.

its the amount of bar that is showing i imagine? not pivot pt to pivot pt? what about the lock nuts?

How does the shift pedal rod setting effect gear shifting in a negative way? :ummm: I also was unaware of a "spec" and just lowered my pedal some for more comfortable feel. Then again I don't have a stock shifter.

How does the shift pedal rod setting effect gear shifting in a negative way? :ummm: I also was unaware of a "spec" and just lowered my pedal some for more comfortable feel. Then again I don't have a stock shifter.

if its too high you can't always fully pop it up 100% is what i've been told. your foot looses a lot of strength the higher it goes.

Also, if it's too low creates binding and won't engage all the way.

Garrett, Clymer says to measure from end of linkage at shift pedal to endge of linkage at shift lever. So, "above" each locknut.

Also, if it's too low creates binding and won't engage all the way.

Garrett, Clymer says to measure from end of linkage at shift pedal to endge of linkage at shift lever. So, "above" each locknut.

good to know. thnx

can someone describe it more for me?

So you are rolling on the throttle in 2nd and while the rpm is climbing the tranny pops out of 2nd and back to neutral?

I've had my bike for a month and i sometime i notice i go to shift to 2nd and i thought it was in 2nd but instead i'm in neutral. I thought maybe i'm not shifting into 2nd hard enough. doesn't happen on any other gears.

Thanks,
Sid

can someone describe it more for me?

So you are rolling on the throttle in 2nd and while the rpm is climbing the tranny pops out of 2nd and back to neutral?

I've had my bike for a month and i sometime i notice i go to shift to 2nd and i thought it was in 2nd but instead i'm in neutral. I thought maybe i'm not shifting into 2nd hard enough. doesn't happen on any other gears.

Thanks,
Sid

issue with the tranny is under load second will pop out. sounds liek you aren't shifting hard enough. adjust the rod.

Well Bill, from where I'm sitting, this looks like the perfect excuse to get started on the new motor you've been thinking about. :biglaugh:

You must be a mind reader Mike...
I was just hoping to make it to october/ november so i don't have any down time.
Brownie run is coming up and i was worried about breaking down far away from home

I was just hoping to make it to october/ november so i don't have any down time.
Brownie run is coming up and i was worried about breaking down far away from home

i wasn't gonna say it. its a blessing in disguise. i bet u'll be fine bill.

I would be very surprised if this happens Bill....it only popped out once...could have just been a bad shift!

But, if it DOES happen.....the further from home the better....that'll just put it closer for me to go get it with the trailer and take it........"you know where!!" :rofl_200:

I would be very surprised if this happens Bill....it only popped out once...could have just been a bad shift!

But, if it DOES happen.....the further from home the better....that'll just put it closer for me to go get it with the trailer and take it........"you know where!!" :rofl_200:

Good point Dan, atleast i'm heading in the right direction...:biglaugh:

Back