it was a bad one

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I was on my way to work yesterday and came-upon this accident scene about the time the vehicles had come to rest. Vehicle body parts and mechanical parts were strewn across half a 6-lane divided highway. This is in Hollywood FL.

The white Ford F150 was going the wrong-way down the divided highway. He was heading head-on towards a tractor trailer (in the pics) and swerved to the side to avoid hitting him, but didn't see or didn't care about the Chevy S-10 pool service pickup next to the tractor/trailer. The two pick-ups hit almost head-on, and this is what resulted.

There were only two drivers involved, no passengers. The airbags deployed on the S-10 but not on the nearly-new F-150! Go figure.

The S-10 driver walked-away from the accident, w/assistance. The F-150 driver was trapped in the truck, a crew cab. His two driver's side windows were either shattered or down, and the rear window to the bed was shattered completely. The F-150 driver had a seat belt on, and when I saw the state of damage of the vehicles, I stopped to see what I could do before Fire-Rescue arrived. No-one of any useful training was there. I tried all the doors and they were all jammed-shut. The driver was unconscious and unresponsive to voice. His skin was ashen-colored and he was bleeding bright-red blood from his mouth. The steering wheel was bent out of position. I didn't see engorged neck veins and a cyanotic face/neck which are signs of traumatic asphyxia which is really-bad news for the victim.

Seeing the only way to get hands-on the victim, I dived-through the driver's side rear window, and held cervical spinal immobilization while trying to assess him further. He was breathing deeply and slowly, and he kept having bright red blood slowly flow out of his mouth.

Fire/Rescue arrived, and they came to the truck w/a halligan tool and a flat-head axe, and I suggested they needed their hydraulic extrication equipment instead. Meanwhile a firefighter/paramedic started to assess the driver, and I told him the guy was breathing more-infrequently, and that he needed an advanced airway. Right-about then, the driver stopped breathing. The firefighter/paramedic pulled-out an LMA which is a good airway choice for situations like this, since they still hadn't popped-open the truck for egress or to remove the victim. He started using a ventilation bag/valve on the LMA airway, and I asked, "does he have a pulse?" When he tried for a carotid pulse there was none.

At this point, the driver was clinically dead. With the firefighter/paramedic working to deliver ventilations from outside the truck, I began performing closed-chest heart massage (the "C" in CPR) while hanging-over the back seat. I kept it up for about 3 minutes, and was about worn-out from the awkward position. By that time two of the fire/rescue guys who were on-scene recognized me and had brought me a pair of gloves I had asked-for, which I wore.

They wanted me to move-away from the driver while they used the hydraulic spreader to open the door, and to exit, so I was able to use both feet to kick-open the passenger rear door and to vacate the cab.

They removed the victim onto their gurney and into the rescue unit and headed to the Level I trauma facility about 3 miles-away as a trauma alert/code blue. I waited around to deliver a statement to the traffic homicide investigator (THI), after I had gotten cleaned-up at one of the rescue units, and then continued on my way to work. The THI told me the P.D. unit at the hospital informed dispatch the guy was still hanging in-there! That's a tribute to the trauma team. Just crossing the trauma room threshold is $10K. They have multiple MD's to attend to you, and they get you to surgery quickly.

So one of the firefighter/paramedics was a former employee of mine teaching EMS, one of the firefighter/paramedics was a former student of mine, he became a paramedic through the program where I am, and one of the rescue units had one of our program's paramedic students, in her second semester, riding on the rescue unit for her 'in-the-field' rescue-riding day, a 12-hour shift. It was a rewarding day and a good demonstration of what you can do to help your community if you have the right job for you.

Then on the way home from school tonight, I was getting on I-595 expressway in Davie, a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale FL and saw some fire/rescue units way-behind me. As they got closer, I pulled over to the side, and where I was, there were several cars parked on the swale. On the inside swale, there was a bloody guy lying on his back, in a t-shirt and shorts, and lots of blood.

The fire/rescue units parked, and I cautiously proceeded past the accident. After I cleared the scene, I saw a Sportster lying on its side, stuffed halfway-under the Armco barrier. It was a motorcycle accident, and if I hadn't pulled-over to let the fire/rescue trucks by, I would have beaten them to that one.

I think I'll try an alternative route to and from work tomorrow.

Attachments

• Trucks collide Sheridan St. 11-12-14.pdf
    581.3 KB · Views: 63
I was on my way to work yesterday and came-upon this accident scene about the time the vehicles had come to rest. Vehicle body parts and mechanical parts were strewn across half a 6-lane divided highway. This is in Hollywood FL.

The white Ford F150 was going the wrong-way down the divided highway. He was heading head-on towards a tractor trailer (in the pics) and swerved to the side to avoid hitting him, but didn't see or didn't care about the Chevy S-10 pool service pickup next to the tractor/trailer. The two pick-ups hit almost head-on, and this is what resulted.

There were only two drivers involved, no passengers. The airbags deployed on the S-10 but not on the nearly-new F-150! Go figure.

The S-10 driver walked-away from the accident, w/assistance. The F-150 driver was trapped in the truck, a crew cab. His two driver's side windows were either shattered or down, and the rear window to the bed was shattered completely. The F-150 driver had a seat belt on, and when I saw the state of damage of the vehicles, I stopped to see what I could do before Fire-Rescue arrived. No-one of any useful training was there. I tried all the doors and they were all jammed-shut. The driver was unconscious and unresponsive to voice. His skin was ashen-colored and he was bleeding bright-red blood from his mouth. The steering wheel was bent out of position. I didn't see engorged neck veins and a cyanotic face/neck which are signs of traumatic asphyxia which is really-bad news for the victim.

Seeing the only way to get hands-on the victim, I dived-through the driver's side rear window, and held cervical spinal immobilization while trying to assess him further. He was breathing deeply and slowly, and he kept having bright red blood slowly flow out of his mouth.

Fire/Rescue arrived, and they came to the truck w/a halligan tool and a flat-head axe, and I suggested they needed their hydraulic extrication equipment instead. Meanwhile a firefighter/paramedic started to assess the driver, and I told him the guy was breathing more-infrequently, and that he needed an advanced airway. Right-about then, the driver stopped breathing. The firefighter/paramedic pulled-out an LMA which is a good airway choice for situations like this, since they still hadn't popped-open the truck for egress or to remove the victim. He started using a ventilation bag/valve on the LMA airway, and I asked, "does he have a pulse?" When he tried for a carotid pulse there was none.

At this point, the driver was clinically dead. With the firefighter/paramedic working to deliver ventilations from outside the truck, I began performing closed-chest heart massage (the "C" in CPR) while hanging-over the back seat. I kept it up for about 3 minutes, and was about worn-out from the awkward position. By that time two of the fire/rescue guys who were on-scene recognized me and had brought me a pair of gloves I had asked-for, which I wore.

They wanted me to move-away from the driver while they used the hydraulic spreader to open the door, and to exit, so I was able to use both feet to kick-open the passenger rear door and to vacate the cab.

They removed the victim onto their gurney and into the rescue unit and headed to the Level I trauma facility about 3 miles-away as a trauma alert/code blue. I waited around to deliver a statement to the traffic homicide investigator (THI), after I had gotten cleaned-up at one of the rescue units, and then continued on my way to work. The THI told me the P.D. unit at the hospital informed dispatch the guy was still hanging in-there! That's a tribute to the trauma team. Just crossing the trauma room threshold is $10K. They have multiple MD's to attend to you, and they get you to surgery quickly.

So one of the firefighter/paramedics was a former employee of mine teaching EMS, one of the firefighter/paramedics was a former student of mine, he became a paramedic through the program where I am, and one of the rescue units had one of our program's paramedic students, in her second semester, riding on the rescue unit for her 'in-the-field' rescue-riding day, a 12-hour shift. It was a rewarding day and a good demonstration of what you can do to help your community if you have the right job for you.

Then on the way home from school tonight, I was getting on I-595 expressway in Davie, a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale FL and saw some fire/rescue units way-behind me. As they got closer, I pulled over to the side, and where I was, there were several cars parked on the swale. On the inside swale, there was a bloody guy lying on his back, in a t-shirt and shorts, and lots of blood.

The fire/rescue units parked, and I cautiously proceeded past the accident. After I cleared the scene, I saw a Sportster lying on its side, stuffed halfway-under the Armco barrier. It was a motorcycle accident, and if I hadn't pulled-over to let the fire/rescue trucks by, I would have beaten them to that one.

I think I'll try an alternative route to and from work tomorrow.

Nice work Philip.....you gave that guy a shot at it! :clapping:

I'm gonna check on his progress w/one of the staff where he went.

Unfortunately, the more I see of traffic in south Florida, the less I want to ride, and riding year-round was one of the reasons I moved here (FL) from MI 40+ years-ago. I am reconciled to AGATT and to being very cautious whether on two or four wheels.

Wow!! I didn't know guardian angles rode V-max's too?
NICE work Fire-Medic!!!! Nice work indeed!!!.

Last edited:
Great for helping out. I am glad an emt lived in the house next door to the field I crashed in when I was 15. I was in convulsions gagging on my tounge and he pulled my tounge from my throat and saved me.

When he left in the fire/rescue transport unit, I didn't think he was gonna make it. I've been praying for him, and his family. If he doesn't recover, we may never know why he ended up on the wrong side of the road driving-along for blocks. He passed another witness at the intersection where he went onto the wrong-way side, and that witness said he hopped the curb.

I had to go visit the fire station near where I had a traumatic incident in july and did my humble best to thank all those that arrived at the home where I was stabbed and kept me alive. I know they tried their best to bring back my Mollie but she was already gone, in short her state sponsored foster son decided to try and set the house on fire and to then kill everyone sleeping with a knife, he cut her carotid artery, got me front and back in the chest at least 8 times. Both lungs were collapsed and I could not get any oxygen, the EMTs did something that felt like a huge sword going right into my right front, I think it was something to reinstate one side, I would have died soon if not for them.

I honestly hope your efforts paid off for this guy, keep posting, and thank you and all those with your training.

I had to go visit the fire station near where I had a traumatic incident in july and did my humble best to thank all those that arrived at the home where I was stabbed and kept me alive. I know they tried their best to bring back my Mollie but she was already gone, in short her state sponsored foster son decided to try and set the house on fire and to then kill everyone sleeping with a knife, he cut her carotid artery, got me front and back in the chest at least 8 times. Both lungs were collapsed and I could not get any oxygen, the EMTs did something that felt like a huge sword going right into my right front, I think it was something to reinstate one side, I would have died soon if not for them.

I honestly hope your efforts paid off for this guy, keep posting, and thank you and all those with your training.

I'm sorry you had to go thru this....:worthy:

Glad you guys and gals are out there. I always get way over in my truck or on my bike when I see 'em coming or going. ( many don't for some reason , must be the stupids the gov't administration keep referring to )

Glad you guys and gals are out there. I always get way over in my truck or on my bike when I see 'em coming or going. ( many don't for some reason , must be the stupids the gov't administration keep referring to )

Some 'brain deadness' too Paul....our fire/rescue company was about 20 min. from the nearest hospital, one morning I was transporting a patient in....nothing urgent, elderly person not feeling well....lights only cause the sirens upset them.

So there's a guy ahead of me going the speed limit, that's ok, I'll just follow along. We get into town pull up to an intersection with a blinking red light....he sits there a couple seconds then reaches over and picks up a road map!

That was a bit too much so I reached down and flicked on the yelp....map went flying, the idiot floored it and went rocketing thru the intersection....scared the shit outta me but luckily no one was coming!

I'd been following this fool for at least 5 miles with all the lights on (top strobes, corner, grill, etc.) and he NEVER KNEW I WAS THERE!

Hello....McFly....:blink000:

i THAT GUY HANGING ON IS A DIRECT TRIBUTE TO YOU ! ... I'M PROUD OF YOU BROTHER ! :punk:

Automobiles and guns...lethal in the wrong hands yet inanimate and harmless by themselves . Maybe they should start teaching Common Sense in schools instead of the liberal curriculum of Pilgrim terrorists and how whitey keeps the black man down...:bang head:

Fire and ambulance crews rate highly in my book! Fire/ Medic, Thanks for your teaching and willingness to provide practical application of your skills!:worthy:
My brother had many instances typical of a type 1 diabetic the "goes low". He was a dedicated worker in a one man water and sewer department that oversaw 250-260 connections, both business and residential. He had some habits that worked against his disease such as never eating breakfast and waiting to eat lunch until he had a break in work. To compound matters he used a insulin pump and he was stubborn as all get out. I stood by while the Paramedic and EMT brought him back out low readings such as 14/ 15/ 17/ 20/ 28, all done in a calm, professional manor. My brother was a cantankerous patient except with me or the ambulance crew, or his best friend a local volunteer Fire Chief.
flagwaver.gif
I believe the dedication of these professional life and property savers are the unsung hero's of communities around the work, to all of you THANK-YOU!
flagwaver.gif

I have some great news! I got a call today from the son of the accident victim I assisted and he said his father is making progress. Since the patient was a trauma code blue on-scene, and the survival rate for such a scenario is practically nil, this is really good news. The mean survival rate for in-hospital code blue incidents is 20%
Chan, P. S., Krumholz, H. M., Nichol, G., and Nallamothu, B. K.
(2008a). Delayed time to defibrillation after in-hospital cardiac arrest.
New England Journal of Medicine, 358, 9–17.

Kinney, K.G., Boyd, S. Y., and Simpson,D. E. (2004). Guidelines for appropriate
in-hospital emergency team time management: the Brooke
Army Medical Center approach.
Resuscitation, 60, 33–38.

There are some other issues related to this that I am going to not comment upon, but I am very happy to have assisted this patient in his time of need. His son took the time to track me down via two fire-rescue agencies, and he himself is very familiar with the general circumstances of such a case.

We have two Level 1 trauma facilities in the county here in FL, and the patient was transported to one of them, giving him the best chance of survival someone could have.

I pray that his progress continues, and that one day he returns to his family life as-unaffected as-possible.

Latest posts

Back