It's a coup!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
My bikes are revolting against me!

I have no car. I have three bikes, all with over 40k miles. A '92 CB750, a '02 Vmax, and a '05 Concours.

The Concours has had overheating issues all month, finally sorted it all out and then it got a flat tire that I tried to plug three times but the hole was too big and darn near wrecked it the second time when the plug came out in traffic. Finally had to pull the tire off and patch it from the inside and install an inner tube. Wheel isn't back on the bike yet.

The CB750 managed to get a nail in the tire the same week although the bikes weren't ridden in the same areas. Then the starter motor stuck wide open anytime I turned the key on, still haven't figured out that one. Solenoid? Start switch? Dunno yet.

So I was left with the Vmax to take on the day's errands. In the parking lot I thought I had an oil seep, looked a little closer and it's clear. Oh crap, must be coolant, I better not let it idle at the lights and get it home. No, it's not coolant, it's clutch fluid leaking, lots of it, and the bike began lunging and stalling out. I did some very illegal maneuvers and ran the red light to get it to the nearest place to buy some brake fluid, and got enough pressure in the system to limp it home.

We still need groceries. Guess I'm strapping a milk crate to the bicycle....

What did I do to deserve all these gremlins?!

thats just shitty.. hope u get 'em all figured out soon!

good luck. i have my own battle going on here.
vmax runs great no problem. but my blazer's fuel pump just took a crap.
new filter is on. now i get to drop the tank.good thing it's only half full.
and I get to spend 200 bucks today. so your not alone brother.

I hear ya Jenn, Redbone isn't running right (still haven't had a chance to tear into it yet) then as I was getting ready to go to a wedding 2 hours away and noticed that one of my rear tires had a bulge in the tread... broken belt! So $300 later I have 2 new rear tires and good to go. Well, all except that my power steering hoses (I hope) are dripping so that's added to the todo list. I hope I can get to Redbone's carbs this week but I still have a little more work to do before the nephew moves in while he's going to college at Lake Superior State University.
I hope you get one of your motorized vehicles running soon!

Haha I remember the fuel pump on the car...dropping the tank...no fun!

The plastic sleeve on my stainless clutch line had ruptured, the line was only a year old and nobody's abused the fittings, but it gave up anyway. Luckily I kept the stock lines "just in case" and put the old clutch line back on, Vmax is up and running.

What the heck is wrong these days that tires still break belts?! I see it more often than I should! I hope you got it already....

I'll take pepperoni and a pitcher of brew....

Honda's starter problem has gone away for now, but I've gotten some help and now I know what to test to find which component in the system is going bad. At least it's not the starter itself.

Finally, just got the wheel back on the Concours and ran it all over town. It won't overheat and the tire's holding air.

Hooray! Bikes are back on the road!

fuel pump is in and working like it should.
not a job i would do everyday. But it only took an 18 pack to complete the job.

I can only imagine the chaos if I drank and wrenched. Hubby did that once. It ended up being a drill bit broken off in the shifter pedal and involved a large hammer.

We now have a rule: when the second beer is opened, the garage lights go off and the door closes.
Glad you got that fuel pump in. I don't envy the maintenance on a car.

I hear ya'. Seems like the time of the year for everything to break down or something. Wifeys car is acting up. The scan tool is saying "Catylyst efficiency below threshold" Also high input to the MAP sensor.

Anyone know if you can clean out a catylytic converter? Also, anyone know how to test an 02 sensor? I'm wondering if one of em might be bad causing a false reading or something?? Parts are too expensive to replace and hope they work. But I can replace all of this for what the dealer would want fo only half of it.

We now have a rule: when the second beer is opened, the garage lights go off and the door closes.
Glad you got that fuel pump in. I don't envy the maintenance on a car.[/QUOTE]
It took me a while to learn things went smoother when I did not drink. I used to drink a lot years ago when I first started painting I thought every thing looked good untill the morning.LOL:bang head:

It took me a while to learn things went smoother when I did not drink. I used to drink a lot years ago when I first started painting I thought every thing looked good untill the morning.LOL:bang head:[/QUOTE]
LOL, good one Kyle!:rofl_200:

I hear ya'. Seems like the time of the year for everything to break down or something. Wifeys car is acting up. The scan tool is saying "Catylyst efficiency below threshold" Also high input to the MAP sensor.

Anyone know if you can clean out a catylytic converter? Also, anyone know how to test an 02 sensor? I'm wondering if one of em might be bad causing a false reading or something?? Parts are too expensive to replace and hope they work. But I can replace all of this for what the dealer would want fo only half of it.

Well, you can always do the redneck high-flow cat mod.

-Remove output pipe
-Shove broom handle in there
-Rattle it around until everything is broken
-Put tailpipe back on.

No more plugged cat! Did that on my first truck that had a plugged cat, making it run like poo. Was shocked how much better it ran after that. Granted it was a 93 and only had OBDI, and we don't have sniffers around here. I wouldn't suggest it for any car that falls into the category of "not a piece of shit", which didn't apply to my first truck.

Typically if an O2 sensor goes bad, there's a separate code for that...the ECU knows how a dying sensor behaves and can pick it out. When it went bad on my second truck, when it was humid or rainy outside it would check the check engine light, and mileage would suddenly take a dump from 14mpg to about 8. The code, obtained using a paperclip, said the O2 reading was "out of parameters". An "efficiency" code is from a discrepancy between the up and downstream O2 sensors, or more specifically, the wrong amount of difference. How many miles on the car? Seen O2 sensors crap out as soon at 50k miles or so. Have fun getting it out...make sure you go get an O2 sensor wrench to avoid rounding it off, even with a perfectly fitting wrench. The one on my old truck required a torching to motivate it to move. Even on relatively new cars with not that many miles they can be an absolute biznatch to remove.

Wish I could follow that rule.:rofl_200:

maybe the bikes you have is jelous to each other and they want you to see to which one yoy pay attention more xxaxax. i would stick with the max xexe

You might be right....:bang head:

The Concours has gotten a LOT of love this spring, new paint and a grocery list of maintenance items. At 50k miles, it needed a lot of attention to make it roadworthy for my annual "big" trip of 7k miles or more. I sure as hell can't afford to let anything leave me stranded.
No wonder Vmax and Honda are pizsed at me....all they got was ridden!

Well, you can always do the redneck high-flow cat mod.

-Remove output pipe
-Shove broom handle in there
-Rattle it around until everything is broken
-Put tailpipe back on.

No more plugged cat! Did that on my first truck that had a plugged cat, making it run like poo. Was shocked how much better it ran after that. Granted it was a 93 and only had OBDI, and we don't have sniffers around here. I wouldn't suggest it for any car that falls into the category of "not a piece of shit", which didn't apply to my first truck.

Typically if an O2 sensor goes bad, there's a separate code for that...the ECU knows how a dying sensor behaves and can pick it out. When it went bad on my second truck, when it was humid or rainy outside it would check the check engine light, and mileage would suddenly take a dump from 14mpg to about 8. The code, obtained using a paperclip, said the O2 reading was "out of parameters". An "efficiency" code is from a discrepancy between the up and downstream O2 sensors, or more specifically, the wrong amount of difference. How many miles on the car? Seen O2 sensors crap out as soon at 50k miles or so. Have fun getting it out...make sure you go get an O2 sensor wrench to avoid rounding it off, even with a perfectly fitting wrench. The one on my old truck required a torching to motivate it to move. Even on relatively new cars with not that many miles they can be an absolute biznatch to remove.

I would like to gut the cat but that can't happen around here. Its got to pass emissions inspection in my county. If I lived 3 miles north, I wouldn't have to worry about it.

The car is a Chrysler pacifica. Its an 05 with close to 90K. I'm hoping its just an issue with the O2 sensors. I've heard that if one is bad it can trigger this code because the difference in readings between them will not be within spec and the ECU can be fooled to think the cat is not functioning properly because of the faulty O2 readings. Wishful thinking. A direct replacement cat is pretty expensive!

Hatter, thanks for the link! Best price I've seen for a direct fit cat so far. My plan was to change the 02 sensors first and try to clean the cat. If that didn't work I would be replacing the cat myself.

You might be right....:bang head:

The Concours has gotten a LOT of love this spring, new paint and a grocery list of maintenance items. At 50k miles, it needed a lot of attention to make it roadworthy for my annual "big" trip of 7k miles or more. I sure as hell can't afford to let anything leave me stranded.
No wonder Vmax and Honda are pizsed at me....all they got was ridden!

CB ,

You heading to the Dragon this week ?

Latest posts

Back