JB weld? Loctite Form-A-Thread? Stripped bellhousing threads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I pulled a few threads from my bell housing the other day installing a cummins into a NV4500 in my E350 fummins. I can (should have) replace the bolt with a longer one and use the 1/2" of remaining good threads which were tested to 30' lbs.

But Id like to insure I wont have a problem again. Yes I know a helicoil would be the best. But that would require removing the engine and oil-pan/pickup tube etc.. PITA And I cant seem to remove the shifter from the NV4500

So which product would be the strongest? I planned on JB welding a stud in the hole. But also need to consider the Loctite Form-A-Thread Stripped Thread Repair Kit..

Which one would be strongest? Or is there another alternative epoxy I haven't considered?

Thanks!

The small scratch on the BH 1/2" beyond the end of the bolt is where the casting ends inside the BH.

1DEDDC7F-4C9D-47DB-811A-C23BA3D55D57_zpsvskibbb8.jpg

I've used JB Weld and Permatex Cold Weld with good results but you will need to clean every trace of oil and crud out of the hole and then be very accurate with the drill and tap.

Chris

Isn't the bellhousing removable on the cummins? The ones I have worked on have an bellhousing adapter plate that is removable from the engine block after the flex plate is removed. As you already stated, a helicoil would be the best repair, but I think if you cant get it out, a longer bolt or stud might be your only option. Good luck with it, let us know what happens.

Isn't the bellhousing removable on the cummins? The ones I have worked on have an bellhousing adapter plate that is removable from the engine block after the flex plate is removed. As you already stated, a helicoil would be the best repair, but I think if you cant get it out, a longer bolt or stud might be your only option. Good luck with it, let us know what happens.

Yea its all removable after a day of labor getting it back out and 2 days back in.

Iv been recommended Devcon 10210 Plastic Steel Liquid.. Except its only comes in 1 lb container for $50 +250 F

And the smaller more consumer grade Devcon 52345 Plastic Steel Epoxy only works up to 200 degrees..

How hot does the bell housing and transmission get running hard?

Is Permatex cold weld or JB weld better?

Thanks!

J B with a stud would be the way I would go. Just bottom out your stud, which like you said would be 1/2" longer and put the J B to it. Clean it good with the thread chaser and Acetone or paint thinner. J B will have half a chance of getting a grip in the thread hole. You may Not want to torque this one as much. You are taking a chance any way with out pulling housing.

J B with a stud would be the way I would go.
You are taking a chance any way with out pulling housing.

Ill fix it the right way soon. Plans were/are 4x4 conversion.
Right now its got to run before the snow flies to make room for Vmax's

Considering the forces exerted on this bolt are more shear than pull and the bottom bolts having more pull. And the fact its a stock 93 engine.. Ill risk it.

My sig..

Someone brought up brazing..

78951B59-F5DD-4769-80E3-E4C3324551A4_zpsxaahcgaz.jpg

Thank to you guys I made the right decision and have 60' lbs on all four longer bolts..

Thanks again!

Glad it worked! That was the best fix for the problem.
For everyone's info, 3M makes a special thread restoring adhesive for thread problems. Bearing supply houses sell it in small but pricey quantities.

Latest posts

Back