Jet Block Rubber Plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxattacks

Reaction score
Hey, guys,
Does anyone have a source for the rubber plugs in the jet block other than the 5-dollar OEM's from the online sources? For that price I'll just single-point a brass plug and thread it into each one but it is more work than I want to do.

Thanx,
Bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, guys,
Does anyone have a source for the rubber plugs in the jet block other than the 5-dollar OEM's from the online sources? For that price I'll just single-point a brass plug and thread it into each one but it is more work than I want to do

That's a lot of work, and I'm not sure I's want to drill the jet blocks. The plugs are a rip off. I found them for $5.50 if that helps.
Steve-o

I thought of machining a brass plug and then putting an "O" ring groove in it and fitting a Viton ring in it. Viton is impervious to petrochemicals and would hold up a helluva lot longer than the Buna-N plugs. No need to cut threads and I could make them with the rings for about five-bucks each!
HMmmmmm *scratching head**

I thought of machining a brass plug and then putting an "O" ring groove in it and fitting a Viton ring in it. Viton is impervious to petrochemicals and would hold up a helluva lot longer than the Buna-N plugs. No need to cut threads and I could make them with the rings for about five-bucks each!
HMmmmmm *scratching head**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Very cool and inovaive idea. Keep me informed? That might be a cottage indusrty for you. Best of luck with it. That's what makes this forum the best.
Steve-o

Machining anything to fit would normally cost far more then just buying the correct part. Plus the correct part can expand and shrink as needed for temperature changes. The oring you noted would help account for some of that but not sure how much.

Sean

Machining anything to fit would normally cost far more then just buying the correct part. Plus the correct part can expand and shrink as needed for temperature changes. The oring you noted would help account for some of that but not sure how much.

Sean

Not for me. I work in a machine shop and once I set up the Hardinge chucker I can bang these out in about 8 minutes.
:)

We are only talking about $20 to $25 here for something that lasts years. I may be weird but I only use OEM replacement parts, bearings, gaskets and filters, etc. Not worth taking a chance on faulty parts. Just ask those that used Keyster carb kits... Just my :twocents: :biglaugh:

K&N Yamaha in Tulsa has great prices on OEM stuff. (Not the filter company). Just ask for Tyler McDonald and state you are a VMOA or vmaxforum member... 25% over actual cost.

We are only talking about $20 to $25 here for something that lasts years. I may be weird but I only use OEM replacement parts, bearings, gaskets and filters, etc. Not worth taking a chance on faulty parts. Just ask those that used Keyster carb kits... Just my :twocents: :biglaugh:

K&N Yamaha in Tulsa has great prices on OEM stuff. (Not the filter company). Just ask for Tyler McDonald and state you are a VMOA or vmaxforum member... 25% over actual cost.

what does there cost usually look like compared to ronayers?

what does there cost usually look like compared to ronayers?

After losing the great 10 and 15% over cost vendors years ago, K&N has the best prices I have found. They will give you a price quote. Do NOT go by the web site prices. They are for locals and non-members. Just ask for Tyler and he will give you a quote item by item.

Having a machine shop makes it nicer. You'd need to make 8 of them (4 in each size) and then get the orings. The orings will be cheap, the material won't cost much, but the machine time adds up. For most it's not worth it. The rubber plugs also take up some tolerancing with the location of the block so that the edge of the chamber holds the rubber plug in. If made from aluminum this may work well one some carbs and not as well on others if it can't seat and be held in. Even a small amount of mismatch in length can let the fitting back out a little and maybe leak (depending on how it's designed).

Your thread in idea might actually be the best idea but the most work since it would involve tapping the jet block.

If I made the "plugs" out of 6061 with the same configuration as the originals then they will be wedged in between the edge of the bowl casting so they would not dislodge. The Viton O-rings are about a 70 durometer so they will remain compliant enough. It all depends on the depth of the groove which will dictate the amount of press and " rollover". Viton quad- lip seals would be ideal in this given situation.
I think I will attempt it just for the hell of it.

It can be done - no doubt. BUT, for the average guy to have to pay someone to make the parts it's just not practical.

Back