Jet kit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymel

Reaction score
How hard is it to install a jet kit?

What would it do performance-wise...I have a full exhaust system and a K & N filter?

It's like night and day. I installed the Morley kit a couple weeks ago and I'm having a hard time keeping the front tire down lol. It's not a luxury it's a necessity IMHO. I was nervous installing it but I had help from Steve o but I was shocked how easy it really was.

Which "full exhaust" do you have? That K&N filter goes on the shelf if you install a jet kit...well not entirely true--depends

The hardest part of installing a jet kit is removing the carb rack (which anyone who knows or can learn how to change the oil can do or learn to do). However, the most time-consuming part is actually getting the right combination of jets and needle settings dialed-in. Every carb rack is different and on top of that due to varying conditions of a bike's environment (elevation, relative humidity, and ambient temperature), your patience WILL be tested. There are a couple threads that have the jetting, the needle settings, and AFR adjustments of some of the guys' carbs, which is a great place to start from. The guys here will help you by offering suggestion on which way to go (bigger or smaller jets, lowering or raising needles, and turning your AFR screws in or out).

I wish I had known about Morley's Muscle kit before I bought a Stage 7 kit. Reason being for the price it can't be beat. Also, most of the performance increases attained with a Stage 7 kit is seen in the top end of the power band--a place where I hardly am ever at long enough to thoroughly enjoy the performance. Don't get me wrong, those short blasts between traffic lights were "A MAY ZING" (more on "were" later). The Muscle kit increases the midrange performance. I don't have the dyno charts and am only speaking "by the seat of my pants", but the enhancement is obvious. Some of the guys here have their dyno charts available. Look in the "dyno chart" section of forum. I absolutely loved the brief moments of face-smooshing bliss with the "traditional" S7 setup. I put traditional in quotes, because I've augmented the required individual carb filters (the Muscle kit uses a modified air box that is include as part of the kit) with velocity stacks, which brings the power into the midrange in a similar fashion as that of the Muscle kit's airbox. I have been having the time of my life ever since because the "face-smooshing bliss" is no longer just a handful of moments but many bursts of face-smooshing exhilaration....no "one-wheeled" sessions necessary--"two-wheeled" blasts are fun, fun, fun.

Good luck. Here's hoping you decide to take the plunge. With a little patience, you'll wish you hadn't waited so long.

Thank you mckzx and ninjaneer.

I believe that my bike has a "maxx performance" exhaust system or something with those words involved. The reason I'm not too sure is because it was installed by the previous owner. It is a full exhaust system and it looks very expensive.

I like the bike and LOVE the power but I've just read and heard that a Jet Kit can really bring out more power.

I would want a Small to Medium jet kit...I mean I wouldn't want something that would completely make the bike a racing one. I want power all around. What are your thoughts?

I can change oil and coolant but have no clue about rejetting...

So

go big or don't bother.

all kidding aside, you will see some guys running dynojet's stage 1 or stage 7, or morley's muscle kit. i followed the veterans' advice, which is to not even bother with the stage 1. as an "all around" jet kit, go with morley's muscle kit. you'll only have fun with the stage 7 if you have many 1/4-mile stretches of backroads. know what i mean? don't get me wrong, the stage 7 is LOTS of fun, but you'll have more opportunities of fun with the morley muscle kit. of course, exercising all of your ponies all of the time isn't necessary. i don't have a morley kit, but i do have a Stage 7 augmented with velocity stacks that behaves similar to the muscle kit.

if i had to choose between the S1 and the S7, for me, I would use the same arguments I made when I decided to go with a full-up exhaust upgrade over slip-ons. If I was going to spend so much money on slip-ons, I might as well save and go for full-ups. So if I was going to spend so much money on a jet kit, I might as well save up and go for it with the S7. Both decisions to wait and save for the full experience have not disappointed me. For S1 you're talking about $130-150 for the needles and jets and get to keep your K&N filter. For the S7 you're talking about $350-400 for the jets, needles, springs, puke can, PCV hose, and the 4 individual pod filters that are sold separately. http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/yamaha.aspx#1200 http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-2989

if i had to choose between the S7 and MM kits, hands down, i would choose the MM kit for my daily driver. for the price, it's a no-brainer. An MM kit will cost you $325-$375 for everything that the S7 offers plus a Muscled airbox. http://www.morleysmuscle.com/muscle-bikes/vmax/jet-kits/jet-kits

my sincerest of advice: although I personally haven't been on a S1 setup, I truly believe that if you go with S1 you will be wanting to go with S7 or MM within a few months. for me, if I were drinking Dom P?rignon and never had Piper Heidsieck, I'll bet that the guy drinking the Piper would absolutely want a pull from my bottle of Dom.

i didn't know the first thing about carburetor jetting until only a few months ago and was able to re-jet with the help of the forum members. this forum, if you haven't figured out yet, will be the biggest asset you can ever have.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree 100% go big . Morley kit is the way to go. The power is there when you want it but you don't need to use it. I need to use it but you don't have too lol.

I bet you have a marks exhaust. Never heard of maxx exhaust. Marks is what most guys here are using. It's a great exhaust.

As far as jetting goes I'm sure there are guys in here close to you that will come to you or you go to them and they will help you. Everyone here is awesome you picked a great forum for your new baby.
Welcome aboard and go to the search site and search jet kits . Also Sean Morley is a vendor he and is great to work with. You can call him and he stands by all his products and he has what ever you need.
Good luck and keep us posted.

...I bet you have a marks exhaust. Never heard of maxx exhaust...
hehehe, me too, i was wondering what a "maxx exhaust" was and tried to google pics of one. ya i'll take that bet--prolly a Mark's exhaust. I run a set of Mark's and absolutely love it.

if he has an exhaust it might be already jetted!

Thanks for all the input guys!

Ya I think it might be "Marks" exhaust haha.

If i go with the Stage 7 jet kit, do i have to replace my K & N or can i leave it???

stage 7 will replace the K&N and airbox with individual pods.

If the po did put a jet kit in, from the description it was probably stage 1. Stage 7 would have the individual filters and Sean's kit has the modified box, so definitely worth upgrading regardless.

Latest posts

Back