Jetting and Needles, Help Me...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I've heard all the bad things about the Dynojet Stage 1. Let's get past that for a minute. CaptainKyle's working on getting me the parts to go back to stock. Saml01 has offered to sell me the parts, Stock Main Jets and Needles if Kyle can't get them. I have over a week before Kyle is ready to proceed with the jetting and I bore easily.:rofl_200:

I'm at Sea Level. The bike is an 89. stock air box and "Y", K&N Filter. Kerker 4-1 with a fairly restrictive Kerker Core. I believe it closes at one point to 1-1/2" with a 2" outlet cap. I've tried a homemade 2" core with no better response from the bike.

It'll run like a Raped Ape in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. in 4th and 5th it stumbles at 3,500 to 4,000 and up (Rich Condition). If I back off the gas just a little, it smooths out and will gradually climb. But, not with the throttle wide open.

Added : Needles are dropped all the way down to lean the bike out... Main Jet Size and Needle setting needed... Or any other changes you had to make. PS: My slides were already drilled. I have stock springs back on the diaphragms. Runs better than it did otherwise but I'm still not close...

All of that's neither here nor there. I've searched my ASS off and come up with very little in the way of working set ups with a Stage 1 DJ. I know that one of us here has had success with the Stage 1. Help me, let me know what setup you have for sea level and a similar set up of your bike's intake and exhaust..

I need to keep moving on my 89 until Kyle is ready to rejet. This is a project of interest to me so I can help others in the future and keep myself busy for right now...

Thanx.....

Last edited:
You are supposed to be getting ready to go, not answer my posts.:biglaugh:

Captain Morgan assisted in getting me totally Lost in Space, several times...
Mostly when I was Younger....:rofl_200:

If he can't get them or if the other deal falls through I have OEM needles on hand (used). You should be able to lower the needle clip setting until that mid range stumble goes away. You need to get it pulling at the higher RPM's very well first though.

Sean

You are supposed to be getting ready to go, not answer my posts.:biglaugh:

Captain Morgan assisted in getting me totally Lost in Space, several times...
Mostly when I was Younger....:rofl_200:
I changed the oil,rotated my tires,flushed my cooling system,washed the truuck, polished the yellow off my head lights & put a new jack on my trailer & packed my clothes. I think I am almost ready of course Christine started packing yesterday & is still not done yet. I got the 4 wheeler & the 3 wheeler in the back of the truck just have to load the Rat bike & the Vmax on the trailer in the morning & I am set.

Sean,
Thanx... Make it richer?? Lowering the needle clip, raising the needle? :ummm: It runs
better when I back off the throttle just a little. Worsens with a little choke added...:confused2:

Oops, I don't think I mentioned that the needles are dropped all the way down now...

I added some more in Orange in the first post to catch up new comers to this thread...

Kyle,

You need pictures for sure, It must look like the Beverly Hillbillies, It'll be Priceless....

I'm still hoping someone has a similar bike setup at Sea Level and can remember
their main jet size and the needle setting, clip position...

I'd be guessing right now. That's one thing I was hopeful someone could tell me where they should be for my set up at sea level..

2nd hand PO did the work and I haven't gotten that far yet...

My guess based on the plugs and having the needles all the way down would have to be 170's.

Not sure if this will help but one of the lads here in the UK had a mid range 'stumble' with his DJ Stage 1 which he sorted by swapping the OE slide return springs in place of the Dynojet items.

MaxMidnight: Stock Springs going back in has helped a little but a lesser stumble is still present..

mabdcmb: I believe that would help since it's the smallest jet DJ would have supplied.

maleko89: I'll put that on my list. it may just work.... It will lean the mid and upper ranges.

I'm doing this for my own interest and to possibly help others in the future.
Unless wonderful things happen, I'll still be swapping back to stock mains and needles in a week or 2...

Thanx for all the help, everyone. This site Rocks......:biglaugh:

Reading around on here I see most guys with aftermarket exhaust and stock airbox are running their main jets at least one size smaller than stock. 150 mikuni is one size smaller. 147.5 mikuni is two sizes smaller than stock.... Stock needles with a small shim, or stg7 needles are the usual parts used in combination with these mains

My 94 has Mark's 4-2, AF Screws 3-1/4 turns, Stock Mains, Needles shimmed 0.028. On dyno, the FA Ratio was almost a flat line @ 14:1. Just a tiny bit lean to make the best HP but good for gas mileage..

Thanx for more input...

Kyle, My nephew is coming by to pick up his Christmas present and BS. I can't break away but really appreciate the offer. I still want to swap back to stock jets and needles... All this is just to give me something to keep me busy..

Every time I swap parts off something that works, it gets FUBAR'd..:rofl_200:

That would be a great idea for someone who has better luck than I do...

Keep in mind every engine is a different pump. All the exhausts change breathing. Elevation, Humididty, atmospheric pressures, ect.... all effect it. So, there is no magic setup that you can use for everyone. Most of the time you can try and at least get close with someone elses setup but it's still likely to be different for you.

If the needles are all the way down (leanest setting) and still need to go leaner then you will probably need to leaner on the main jet. You can alter the midrange by changing out the PAJ2 as well which is easier to get to. Smaller PAJ 2 will make the midrange (and some low/high) richer. Larger PAJ2 will make the mix leaner.

There's a wealth of great insight coming out in this thread. Maybe that alone will help others. You're all making my picture of the VMax Carbs much clearer... They're a departure from any other bike I've ever had, even though the basic principles are there... I have my Nephew coming to get his Christmas Present and BS. First thing I'll try later is removing the "Y" just to see what effect it'll have on the overall problem...

Thanx to all of you.

Back