JIS screwdrivers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuff

Reaction score
I know this has been posted before, but i cannot find it, where can i get some JIS screwdrivers without ordering them online drove around town for an hour been calling on the phone for another hour and not one person has even heard of them !! ugh !!! i'm pulling my hair out here help me please.

I know this has been posted before, but i cannot find it, where can i get some JIS screwdrivers without ordering them online drove around town for an hour been calling on the phone for another hour and not one person has even heard of them !! ugh !!! i'm pulling my hair out here help me please.

PM Eric ( t ramahawk ) he's the one I believe posted before & has a set

If there is a Grainger Industrial near you, they carry them...oops, didn't even look to see whom the op was. Grainger has them...not in stock, but will have them by tomorrow if you call them.

GRAND RAPIDS Branch #320
3803 Roger B Chaffee SE.,
GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49548-3437

• Phone (616) 241-6781

Fax (616) 245-2943 Hours Monday - Friday 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM EASTERN

grainger is right down on Rodger B Chaffee...like 4180 its between 36th and 44th street..... I just took old #2 and #3 Philips and ground them to work for my other Yamaha. I think I just had to change the angle a little bit.

Sorry....I ordered mine online from eBay. I will say this....they grip amazingly well....and no more stripped screws. I even used them to take the screws out of the coils.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

the ones grainger can get are little ones for watches and jewelry and stuff. p/n 6LET1 if you want to check it out. haven't found anyone around town that has them yet either.

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-too...ir/motorcycle-repair-kit/flypage_sku.tpl.html

best I could do so far...non of my tool guys stock them on their trucks either. I think your best bet for getting those screws out without waiting for tools will be to go to Harbor Freight and buy a bit set that comes with a bunch of Philips bits and grind them down until you get exactly what you need to fit the screw. I'll check my special "do not touch" drawer of the toolbox when I get home and if I have one that's the right size i'll bring it in and you can stop by the shop on your way to work and grab it.

JIS also have straighter sides than Phillips. The Phillips head is designed to cam out under torque, JIS is not. Flattening tip is not a substitute, but may help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwdriver

McMaster Carr has a set of 3 for $34.14 plus shipping, #1, #2 & #3. You will need all three.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japanese-industrial-standard)-screwdrivers/=xn0d6r

If in stock they have very quick shipping and are decent to deal with.

I have had a set of these for about 4 years and they are a must have once you try them.

Gary

Sears makes a decent screw driver (professional series), almost Snap-on quality. It's worth spending the $$ on screwdrivers. Most hand tools bought at discount places are sufficient for a guy that just wants to take care of his own bike & toys. But, certain tools are worth the extra $$. Screw drivers that fit correctly are one example.IMHO.

Yep....I bought mine from eBay. IMHO it doesn't matter where you get them....but get the proper JIS screw drivers. If you have issues with your carbs....and have to take off the air box and carbs 5 times...the proper tool will pay for itself.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I have pretty much replaced all of my JIS screws on my bike except for the carb boots and air box. I try to buy the best tools since my aim is to only ever have to buy that tool once.
I realize I'm not a professional mechanic but nothing is more frustrating than having a crappy tool slip or break. The only thing worse is not having the tool you need when you need it.
I keep a running list of tools I need to get and another list of wants, both are long lists! I hope my next tool putrchase will be Motion pro's T-handle sets of Metric ball end set and Metric socket set.
BTW, here is Motion Pros' JIS Cross head bit set of #1, #2 and #3 for $22.00.

thanks guys I agree buying the right tools is the best way to go I've tried grinding the tips off a cpl of my screwdrivers and it's not getting the job done i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get some JIS screwdrivers and thanks for the link Gary just ordered me some will be here thursday

got my new JIS screwdrivers already too bad i have to go to work or i would be out in the garage using them oh well i have the next two days off so hoping to get my carbs all done in time for Thunder ! thanx again for your guys help

Attachments

• 20150617_112352.jpg
    20150617_112352.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 10
got my new JIS screwdrivers already too bad i have to go to work or i would be out in the garage using them oh well i have the next two days off so hoping to get my carbs all done in time for Thunder ! thanx again for your guys help

Those are the same ones that I have.....you will use the #2 A LOT!!!

Latest posts

Back