John From LA with Rare 1988 all original parts VMAX to good to be believed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyi3

Reaction score

So this is my first time posting. I have the rarest of rare Yamaha 1988 VMAX in Red all original parts, paint, seat, wheels, everything (except tires and some cables) that looks like it just walked off the showroom floor with only 2150 miles. Yes, it's not a misprint, about 2150 miles and runs perfectly. Long story but it basically sat in a climate controlled storage facility from 1988 until 2015. It never had any gas or fluids so it didn't gum up or corrode any of the parts. Long story how I came about owning her but she basically belonged to a friend I've know since grade school and I'm in my mid 50's. After jumping through hoops to get her on the road and shipped to California from NYC, I have now had her since 2015. I start the bike every week religiously and ride her about once a month for a few miles to open her up. I keep her on a battery tender in my garage with minimal exposure to the elements. There are maybe two scratches. One on the tail and a small barely noticeable one on the tank.
I'm at a cross roads on what to do with the bike. I had a kidney transplant last year and I'm having ankle replacement surgery this winter on my shifting foot. It is getting harder and harder to find time to ride and carburetor bikes need lots of riding. How do you even price a bike like this or where to even look to sell her? I saw a rare low mileage bike for sale about the same year online in Florida with 300 times the miles that didn't look as good for around $6000.
Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do. The bike has a ton of sentimental value since I was there the day she was purchased 34 years ago, however, she deserves to be on the road more consistently. That's my story! I would love to have some feedback.
J

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Contact Bring A Trailer and set the price at 'no reserve.' I think if you got $6,000 for it that's a fair price. You can hope for more, but honestly, I doubt you're going to get anywhere close-to 5 figures ($10,000) for it.

Things in its favor would be:
low miles
operational, with no issues
original equipment, though that's only something of an issue if it was going to a museum

Things not in its favor:
It's not one of the first three, or the last three bikes manufactured. That number of three is merely my arbitrary idea of a value for an early or a late bike.
it's not a 20th anniversary edition
nothing special about an '88 besides it being a full-horsepower VMax made for the USA market (I assume)

Sounds like your health issues are forcing you to stop riding, probably not a bad idea.

Assuming the clear coat is intact where it was used, and it presents as 'much better than average' cosmetically, I think that $6K to $10K range is a realistic one. Now if it was raced by Jay Gleason, and used to set the intro 1985 model's records, that would add value. Or if it was the magazine's "Taking It to the 10's" bike, which I believe Sean Morley has, that could add value.

Wow, thanks for the feedback! Price wise that’s exactly what I figured. Now it’s a matter of making up my mind what to do with it. My main motivation is not letting the bike go to waste by leaving it sitting around. Twenty eight years was long enough. Although I still ride other bikes occasionally, these days it’s only a handful of times a year and my next layoff is about 6 months of recovery. I’ll figure it out. Thanks again for the advice, I’m grateful!

Yours hasdone 2150 miles.

You're saying you saw one with 300 times the miles for $6000? I make that 645,000 miles somehow I don't believe you.:p

Fingers crossed the ankle surgery goes well, it'll take a few months to recover. The reality is that depending on whether you can change gear or not, may force your hand to sell.... unless you intend keeping it as an ornament.

Price wise as FM says.

GGood luck with the op.

Sorry, typo. Meant 30 times or around 60,000. I have the listing somewhere, but it may have been the first year. As far as surgery goes, I’m not too concerned as long there aren’t complications. It’s been years but I was once a pilot before I got diagnosed with kidney disease and I wouldn’t mind getting back to the airlines with all the crazy bonuses being offered. Anyway, thanks for the info.
J

If you aren't familiar with Bring A Trailer, you have to apply to list your vehicle for sale, they don't take everything someone's trying to sell. They look for clean, interesting cars, trucks and yes, motorcycles, and they do take abandoned project cars, like a Porsche 356, a Bill Thomas Cheetah replica, vintage muscle cars, vintage V8 pony cars, etc.

I think a low-miles VMax would bring some interest, as performance sells, and being a 'needs-nothing' vehicle, (I'm assuming, based upon your self-report) and low miles, I suspect they would accept it for advertisement. Be sure to read all the rules, as they are specific, and you want to understand the process.

One of the features is that people post about your item for sale, and it's usually commented-upon when the seller doesn't present correct information, like a 1956 Chevy 150 2-dr with a 'stock 327,' because that engine was first released for the 1962 model year. That's an easy one to catch; for VMaxes, the '85-'89 models had a two ignition pick-up coil arrangement, while the '90-'07 had the single pick-up coil and a digital ignition box different from the earlier bike's.

You're in a big population, 12 month a year riding environment, so being priced sensibly should get you some offers, however you choose to sell it.

Just bought a 2005 anniversary addition. Paided 8500.00 canadian. Mint, 1000 miles on it. Bought it off a collector. I was looking for a good one.Will be my last bike. Health issues. If you sell this bike you might regret it. Hard to replace. If you do sell it don't give it away. There are buyers out there that will pay for a good low miles 80s muscle bike. It is worth 8 to 10 US.

Attachments

• IMG_8559.jpg
    IMG_8559.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
Wow, thanks for the feedback! Price wise that’s exactly what I figured. Now it’s a matter of making up my mind what to do with it. My main motivation is not letting the bike go to waste by leaving it sitting around. Twenty eight years was long enough. Although I still ride other bikes occasionally, these days it’s only a handful of times a year and my next layoff is about 6 months of recovery. I’ll figure it out. Thanks again for the advice, I’m grateful!
I just want to know how much Cellcept and Tacrolimus you take ? i was ready to ride 9 months after my cadaver replacement and have no issues. The ankle issue will probably have more effect. We are probably close to the same age.

Sorry about the late response but been laid up with my ankle replacement surgery and haven’t been on in a while. Tacrolimus I take 1 mg twice a day and the Cellicept 1000 twice a day. I ended up with CMT (virus) about 6 months after my transplant which hospitalized me for 8 days. It was like having mono and it messed me up for 3 or 4 months. I contracted it from the actual kidney even though I was on meds to prevent it. Got it right after I came off of the meds. My kidney is working great but I’m a fairly big guy around 6 1 220 and my kidney came from a young woman who’s all of 130 lbs. As a result, I generally sit around 1.6-1.7 on my creatinine levels. I’m lucky because my wife works at the same hospital I transplanted and I’ve gotten some of the best doctors in the business. I’ve also signed up for every study you can imagine which gives me a lot of feedback.

Just bought a 2005 anniversary addition. Paided 8500.00 canadian. Mint, 1000 miles on it. Bought it off a collector. I was looking for a good one.Will be my last bike. Health issues. If you sell this bike you might regret it. Hard to replace. If you do sell it don't give it away. There are buyers out there that will pay for a good low miles 80s muscle bike. It is worth 8 to 10 US.
Yes, I agree but the ankle replacement is pretty big operation and my concentration for another 6 months will be rehabilitation. Meanwhile the bike only gets some love when my boy comes over to help out. Right now I’m not really thinking too much about it. I guess it’s best to decide after I’m completely rehabbed.

Health is first, though you can do a lot of research if you have a sedentary life at the moment. Start a file of what you find online and catalogue it with sub-files, like engine, chassis, electrical, suspension, etc. That will help you to be able to move ahead when you're up to it.

So this is my first time posting. I have the rarest of rare Yamaha 1988 VMAX in Red all original parts, paint, seat, wheels, everything (except tires and some cables) that looks like it just walked off the showroom floor with only 2150 miles. Yes, it's not a misprint, about 2150 miles and runs perfectly. Long story but it basically sat in a climate controlled storage facility from 1988 until 2015. It never had any gas or fluids so it didn't gum up or corrode any of the parts. Long story how I came about owning her but she basically belonged to a friend I've know since grade school and I'm in my mid 50's. After jumping through hoops to get her on the road and shipped to California from NYC, I have now had her since 2015. I start the bike every week religiously and ride her about once a month for a few miles to open her up. I keep her on a battery tender in my garage with minimal exposure to the elements. There are maybe two scratches. One on the tail and a small barely noticeable one on the tank.
I'm at a cross roads on what to do with the bike. I had a kidney transplant last year and I'm having ankle replacement surgery this winter on my shifting foot. It is getting harder and harder to find time to ride and carburetor bikes need lots of riding. How do you even price a bike like this or where to even look to sell her? I saw a rare low mileage bike for sale about the same year online in Florida with 300 times the miles that didn't look as good for around $6000.
Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do. The bike has a ton of sentimental value since I was there the day she was purchased 34 years ago, however, she deserves to be on the road more consistently. That's my story! I would love to have some feedback.
J
This past November I purchased an 88 V MAX (Atlanta area) in very much the same good original condition as yours, with 23,000 miles. The asking price was $4,000, I paid $3,800. I found the bike listed on Face Book's "Marketplace". If you decide to sell, I suggest you wait until March - April. That's when buyers begin looking for a Spring/Summer ride and you should be able to get the highest price. Considering condition and very low mileage on your Max, I think you could expect a sale price of $4,500 (I wouldn't take less) - $5,500. The used bike market in your area would probably have a strong influence on what your sale price ends up being.

This past November I purchased an 88 V MAX (Atlanta area) in very much the same good original condition as yours, with 23,000 miles. The asking price was $4,000, I paid $3,800. I found the bike listed on Face Book's "Marketplace". If you decide to sell, I suggest you wait until March - April. That's when buyers begin looking for a Spring/Summer ride and you should be able to get the highest price. Considering condition and very low mileage on your Max, I think you could expect a sale price of $4,500 (I wouldn't take less) - $5,500. The used bike market in your area would probably have a strong influence on what your sale price ends up being.
4500? Yea that would be nice, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Heck even if 5,000 would buy it I would. These stock low mileage mint bikes are hard to find.

Bring a trailer is your best route, a good riding video, presentation and answering questions quickly and honestly will give you the best results. I just purchased mine this year on Bring a trailer, 1986 with 2700 miles for $7200, it would have done better but the seller was not the most up front person and took for ever to get a running video posted. I had a friend of mine go look at it for me is the reason why I bought this one. If I remember correctly a 2002 with 944 miles late last year sold for $10,000. Just giving you an idea as to what your bike is worth, I've purchased 3 vehicle's and sold one on Bring a trailer you can message me if you have any questions. Good luck and get better soon.

Back