Just bought 97 max and have questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just Not sure where to begin.. SO here is what I have and the issue..
97 max 2 owners: motor is stock; the airbox has been modified by morley.. I remember his name but did not know that he has a air box mod... ( like I said its been a while) the carbs have been re-jetted- no idea what size are in there but was told by the previous owner that it was a morley kit-done by the previous owner to match the Marks 4-2 exhaust..
The issue very cold blooded/ runs rough at first.. I do crack the choke and let the bike warm before taking off... but I rode 4-5 miles and it was still not running clean... in 5th gear it was sputtering a little when I would accelerate . The v-boost does not seem to be working.. my other max's you could definitely tell when it came on.

Overall the bike starts and runs ok but to me this bike does not have the power it should.. 33k on the clock mostly highway miles by 1st owner.. the exhaust sounds awesome and looks great 4-2 stainless..
Any thoughts on where to begin.. I am not afraid to work on it and would prefer to do so. I live in north central indiana just in case someone was close.. Thanks..

Has it been sitting still for any length of time before you got it ? / fuel / fuel filter both o.k. ?

Welcome-back.

Just to figure out what condition the engine is in, you should do a compression test and a leak-down test. Once you know the engine is OK, then you can look at possibilities. See if the round plug in the wire harness under the left scoop is plugged-in, if not, the servo motor for the VBoost is probably left in the 'open' position, when the bike is turned-on, do you hear the servo motor for the VBoost cycle? It goes full-open w/the butterflies and then closes. Waiting to see the butterflies open fully & unplugging the round connector is how you can run 'all the time' VBoost.

If the bike has been sitting, you may be in for a tear-down & cleaning of the carbs. Drain the carb bowls into a glass container one at a time & see what comes-out. Any particulate matter in the gas? You may need to drain/clean the tank. When the tank is empty, or close to it, you can see a good bit of it w/a flashlight thru the filler neck. Any rust, and you need to remove the tank and try various methods to clean and/or seal it. POR 15 is supposed to work well, better than Kreem. I haven't used it but others on here have.

Might need the pea shooter or shot gun if not a full carb cleaning as stated. Great threads in the carb section can help guild you through it along with lots guys here.

The bike was running last fall and he had sent the air box off to Morley for the air box mod and he had installed the jet kit from Morley and sync'd the carbs..
Slowly finding out more about the bike.. hope to find out if it is running right.. It does go down the road well but not smooth at times. Thanks. Tim

As in 6 months ago or 18? Probably need new fuel filter, check for rust in tank, run some sea foam, pull the carbs off and clean them-there is a how to in the carb section. Should get you started to see if its jetted right for your area.

Back