1st Gen V-Max Just Bought a 2001 Black Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyzMax

Reaction score
VMax Year
Hi I am Ryan most call me Ry, thought I'd introduce myself to the forums to get started, I've read through the 1st Gen FAQs a lot of great information there, I am from Darlington, South Carolina, 68 years old so many have questioned my sanity buying a V Max. My answer is I fell in love with the very first one I ever saw but way back then I could not afford a new one as I had bought a 1987 Honda Magna and the engine style was the V4 but way less powerful than the V Max. Had 77,000 miles on it when I sold it 16 years ago, and regretted selling it the day it drove out of my life, many of my friends won't say it to my face but think I have lost my mind, but I miss riding, simple as that. My V Max looks good from a distance but she is 20 years old and will need some TLC, drove it home last Sunday 110 miles 90 degrees outside, which allowed me to discover the first mod was going to be forward controls. I need to make the bike suit my needs for ultimate comfort and whatever that requires.

Other than that I am very excited to be back on a motorcycle and I wish all of you the best! :) Ry

20210819_105243.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on the purchase. The Hindle exhaust looks to be a full header/canister one, a good performance upgrade. You can remove a CV carburetor cap, and compare the slide needle to this chart, to see if you have a jet kit, which properly-installed & tuned, should increase your RWHP about 10%. I don't see the oil filler hose mod that would suggest you have the Dynojet Stage 7 kit, which is 'the good one.' Sean Morley also has a 'Muscle Kit,' jet kit, more-balanced towards midrange instead of top-end rpm's, that would be a good alternative.

VMax engine venting from Germany.jpgVMax needles.jpg
VMax carb passages.pngVMax carb complete.png

Last edited:
It's ridiculous how fast time passes as you mature. I am going for the gusto while the sun is still shining.

"...and then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

(no accreditation needed...I hope)

One of the groups I really wanted to see live but never seemed to come our way, did see Led Zeppelin though! :)

Saw them do the Dark Side of the Moon show at the smallest venue it played at - Charlotte Park Center. Saw The Wall in NYC, too (but that's another story).

Took my boys (in their teens) to see Roger Waters do Dark Side of the Moon from beginning to end, and a few other tidbits, here in Phoenix 10'ish years ago. I'm not a fan of Mr. Waters (his ego actually), but the show was the real deal.

See them in Miami and Providence RI. One of the best live shows, ever, and I have over sixty years' worth viewing performances. I'd have to say that James Brown and George Clinton/Bootsy Collins are in that stratosphere.

It's unlikely that they'll ever to again but the Australian Pink Floyd are just about ad good.

Do the stock rear shocks have adjustment to lower the ride height or do you have to completely replace them to lower it?
You can lessen the spring preload to reduce ride height, but no, no alternative mounting points. Most install shorter shocks if they want lower seat ht. That costs cornering clearance. One inch less is the max for road use, 13" o.c. is OEM.

Do the stock rear shocks have adjustment to lower the ride height or do you have to completely replace them to lower it?
I wouldn't do that in South Carolina for one reason: the absolutely horrific roads. You're better off with more travel at a higher height. That's one thing I don't miss about the low country: potholes that can swallow a bike whole.

I wouldn't do that in South Carolina for one reason: the absolutely horrific roads. You're better off with more travel at a higher height. That's one thing I don't miss about the low country: potholes that can swallow a bike whole.

Unfortunately we do have crappy roads here in South Carolina in some areas, I totally agree!

Latest posts

Back