1st Gen V-Max Just Bought a 2001 Black Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your bike came with one of the best performance full exhausts, a good thing. If it wasn't jetted for it, there is power to be had by doing it. Again, if you were offended, I'm sorry to have written something with which you took offense. Post-up your work to increase your pleasure of your motorcycle, and we'll see what we all can learn from it.

Synchronized the carburetors with the Carbtune Pro 4. What a difference in performance and smooth acceleration. The two left carbs were close but the right two were way off. Money well spent and easy to do.

Of for crying out loud can we let that go?

Pretty please?

With sugar on top?

And a coupon for 25 cents off a VanCamp's 16 oz. Beanee Weenies?
Will the beans cause horsepower gains?
Or will they only add torque when launching.

Will the beans cause horsepower gains?
Or will they only add torque when launching.
If you run a 1/2 inch hose from your ass to the Vboost part of the manifold, you pick up 5 HP.

But your seat loses 2 months of life with each "boost".

Congrats on your Bike. I'm a new member here, I'm 69 and just picked up a 2001 in Phoenix. Fun bike to ride.

Attachments

• 20210812_105338.jpg
    20210812_105338.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 32
Thanks, actually I'm in the sticks outside of Kingman. Had to haul the bike in my truck for 200 miles to get it home.

Nice ride👍🏻

At 68 years young, good for you and enjoy !

Nice ride👍🏻

At 68 years young, good for you and enjoy !

Ryan hi. Your story is almost the exact as mine. I had a 87 Magna (I wanted the 88 with the 750 in it) and would see 1 VMax running around the smaller town i lived at the time. Actually then i had 83 CX 650 Honda opposed 2 cyl. Like a Moto Guzzi. I had the Magna later
I had heard stories about the VMax twisting the throttle and spinning the tire.
Well a month ago there was a ad in Craigslist for 16 hours in Eugene Oregon, which is 100? Miles south of Portland where i am.
The VMax had different pipes in it and guy said it wouldn't idle. Took train down there and thought I would "ride" bike back.
No go. It was more than rough idle, but fell in love with it and the mods on it
So took truck down loaded it up and all the Extra Parts took it to a hot rod bike shop, had carbs gone through different jet from a included kit, and it is scary fast. Still learning it.
On high speed sweepers, i feel a wobble, frame strengtheners??? Rear shocks??
Love the bike, live the VMax community, seems like almost EVERYONE comments on how good it looks. I'm just worried about thieves. Two lock, a cable. So far.

Still wouldn't mind a 88 Magna..........as a second bike!!!! Ha!!!!!

A tasteful series of mods, looks great. I have you by a few years on both age and age/time w/a VMax.

Vmaxmario's bike:
View attachment 79238
Hi. Can you list brand and model of the mods on bike? prices maybe too. I have some fairly minor mods on mine. I like what you've done with yours!!! Thanks Dave

Ryan hi. Your story is almost the exact as mine. I had a 87 Magna (I wanted the 88 with the 750 in it) and would see 1 VMax running around the smaller town i lived at the time. Actually then i had 83 CX 650 Honda opposed 2 cyl. Like a Moto Guzzi. I had the Magna later
I had heard stories about the VMax twisting the throttle and spinning the tire.
Well a month ago there was a ad in Craigslist for 16 hours in Eugene Oregon, which is 100? Miles south of Portland where i am.
The VMax had different pipes in it and guy said it wouldn't idle. Took train down there and thought I would "ride" bike back.
No go. It was more than rough idle, but fell in love with it and the mods on it
So took truck down loaded it up and all the Extra Parts took it to a hot rod bike shop, had carbs gone through different jet from a included kit, and it is scary fast. Still learning it.
On high speed sweepers, i feel a wobble, frame strengtheners??? Rear shocks??
Love the bike, live the VMax community, seems like almost EVERYONE comments on how good it looks. I'm just worried about thieves. Two lock, a cable. So far.

Still wouldn't mind a 88 Magna..........as a second bike!!!! Ha!!!!!

Mine had some aftermarket signals on it that could not be seen in the daytime, the rear was about the size of your thumb, and the lenses were smoked, you could not see them in the daytime. I can understand why people do some upgrades to personalize their bikes but not that, I want someone approaching from behind in the day to see my signals. I am replacing those signals with the 100% stock OEM signals front and rear for the V Max. I am telling you this because in all my upgrades so far I have discovered 2 missing bolts and quite a few very loose to almost falling out bolts and nuts, check your bike over really good and be safe out there. Ry

For the new owners:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/
Print-out this factory service manual, and put it into a 3-ring binder. It can save you thousands of dollars if you use it. The format is a bit confusing, Yamaha has 'supplements' for different years models, showing updates when changes were made, or service data being changed. Those supplements are located at the front of the 405 pp. manual. You just have to look for the title page for the supplement, and then look at the copyright date to see for what year's model that info applies. Look at this thread for more info on that: HOW TO: Errors in official manuals preventing proper HOW TOs

The factory service manual:
http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
Issues in handling, I would check that your front forks have air in them, roughly 5-15psi depending on your weight, and if you have a passenger frequently. Be aware a popular mod for the front forks, Progressive Suspension springs says not to run air with their springs. The only way you would know that is if the prior owner swapped-out the OEM downtube fork springs, or you disassembled the forks to check for oil volume, or to replace a leaky fork seal. If your downtubes are showing peeling, pitted chrome don't bother replacing your fork seals, as they will soon leak again! The peeling, pitted chrome will ruin your new seals quickly. Replacement downtubes are either a good used replacement from CaptainKyle [email protected] or Sean Morley [email protected] or another member here, who advertises some for sale. But, NO PITS or PEELING CHROME! Race-Tech sells replacement downtubes for ~$200 apiece, so $400/pr. Forking by Frank recently moved to Alabama, I think it is, I dunno yet if they are up and running for sales, I've used 'em in the past for downtube replacements.

Also check your forks for proper tension on the steering stem, the 'fork flop' is one way of testing, either youtube for Sean Morley's video, or someone else's. If you feel tiny little bumps as you turn the forks side to side, you've discovered 'brinelling,' pitting of the steering bearing races, usually due to too-many hard landings from wheelies, and lack of adequate grease as a contributing cause. All Balls has a steering head bearing set or go to a dealership website for the needed replacements, including the pressed into the steering head stem, outer bearing races (OBR). The top OBR will come out using a long drift punch, from the bottom, and catching the lip of the OBR in the top of the steering stem. However, the bottom OBR does NOT present a sufficient lip to do the same thing!

Two ways to do that:
1] put a bit of bead weld on the roller bearing surface of the OBR, to give you something to pound against. Actually, you need to build a weld bead 180 degrees apart, so you can alternate tapping on the weld bead, to drive out the OBR. The heat of welding also helps.

2] use something like a Dremel to cut one or more places on the OBR, and then use a chisel or punch to drive-out the loosened two pieces.

Check your rear shock settings, there is a set of 4 damping settings on the top collar, and 5 settings on the spring pre-load on the bottom spring keeper. Set both sides the same, top and bottom.

Also check the torque on the swingarm nuts. At the end of the factory service manual (P8-10 and 8-11, pages 381 and 382 of 405 pp. on the .pdf page counter) is a torque chart, and # of fasteners, and nut/bolt dimensions for your bike. This is a very-handy thing to put into a plastic sleeve and have handy to refer-to, somewhere in the shop.

Worn tires and over-or-under-inflated tires, or mismatched tires are probably the biggest source of handling issues. I continue to say that going to radial tires is the #1 best handling improvement you can make to your VMax. Usually a rear wheel swap is required; the VMax spec's a V-rated tire (to 149mph) and any 15 inch radial motorcycle tire you find are probably rated at H (130mph). Don't even get me started about car radial tires on a motorcycle! That is called 'The Dark Side,' and that's not what you need on a 110+ horsepower motorcycle capable of nearly 150 mph.

The wire chart is for 1985-'89 bikes, there was a change in 1990 to another type of CDI box, using fewer leads and a single pick-up coil. later there was a change to a different regulator/rectifier, which added a ground wire where the R/R to that point used the mounting of the R/R to the left rear footpeg bracket as its ground.

I could go-on, but use the search function here and find info of interest to troubleshoot your ride, and how to improve it.

VMax rear shocks combined settings.pngVMax rear shocks damping adjust.pngVMax rear shocks spring preload.pngVMax USA 85-89 wiring.02.pngVMax USA 85-89 wiring.pngDarkSide_at_Dragon.jpg

We should congratulate you for your courage and your new purchase. I def wouldn’t say you're out of your mind. You do what you want to do. Nothing brings me more joy than seeing people follow their passions. Admittedly, it is much better when your family gets to share your passion, as was in my wife's case. We usually organize a bike tour in the summer. This year we came to discover the beauty of Europe. We started with Bucharest after coming across riderly.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-motorcycle-hire-in-bucharest-romania/ and getting an idea of how phenomenal that city is. Now that's one for the books!

Last edited:
Hi I am Ryan most call me Ry, thought I'd introduce myself to the forums to get started, I've read through the 1st Gen FAQs a lot of great information there, I am from Darlington, South Carolina, 68 years old so many have questioned my sanity buying a V Max. My answer is I fell in love with the very first one I ever saw but way back then I could not afford a new one as I had bought a 1987 Honda Magna and the engine style was the V4 but way less powerful than the V Max. Had 77,000 miles on it when I sold it 16 years ago, and regretted selling it the day it drove out of my life, many of my friends won't say it to my face but think I have lost my mind, but I miss riding, simple as that. My V Max looks good from a distance but she is 20 years old and will need some TLC, drove it home last Sunday 110 miles 90 degrees outside, which allowed me to discover the first mod was going to be forward controls. I need to make the bike suit my needs for ultimate comfort and whatever that requires.

Other than that I am very excited to be back on a motorcycle and I wish all of you the best! :) Ry

View attachment 79156
I had a ,87 magna too, or SuperMagna. It was a cool bike I thought, but always wanted a Vmax. Which I have now. Yes a bit more powerful bike. The 88 Magna was a 750, but hard to find.

Latest posts

Back